Same issues with SRAM level brakes as with recalled guide brakes

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Anyone know if there is any info relating to recall or issues with SRAM level brakes? I know there was a recall on guides because they stick when the get hot.
Rode my bike last night with no issues. Today I drove an hour with my bike exposed to the sun on the rack, get to trailhead and both brakes are stuck. Like have to forcibly rotate the wheel. Lever is pulled in and won’t return. Get home and let the bike sit in the shade and now it’s fine.
I’ve had similar issues with these brakes yet not as ridiculous as this. I bled the brakes when the lever first started acting sticky and worked ok during the colder months.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Anyone know if there is any info relating to recall or issues with SRAM level brakes? I know there was a recall on guides because they stick when the get hot.
Rode my bike last night with no issues. Today I drove an hour with my bike exposed to the sun on the rack, get to trailhead and both brakes are stuck. Like have to forcibly rotate the wheel. Lever is pulled in and won’t return. Get home and let the bike sit in the shade and now it’s fine.
I’ve had similar issues with these brakes yet not as ridiculous as this. I bled the brakes when the lever first started acting sticky and worked ok during the colder months.

yes - i just had mine done. level tlm.

pour cold water on them to get them to loosen up in the short run.

Jmann

yes - i just had mine done. level tlm.

pour cold water on them to get them to loosen up in the short run.
That’s what I got- TLM. You had them warrantied? I was actually spitting water on them while I was riding.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
If you pull the rubber cover off that meets the hose and you don’t see a serial #.. they are likely affected.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Had mine replaced from the tallboy and because I was in no rush I think I had replacements in a week . Currently have a set of guides and levels replaced from warranty and both have been solid over a year on both no bleeds or anything

Sven Migot

I have Level TL on my 2017 Giant XTC and the front brake had this sticking issue on the first ride which was the Erie 80 race. 25 miles in I could barely turn the front wheel. Didn't think to cool it down. I got the front lever replaced under warranty and it hasn't happened since. Was told the problem was fixed and the newer inventory should be ok.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The first batches were effected. I have 3 sets that are perfect but have replaced quite a few on customer bikes.

Jmann

If you pull the rubber cover off that meets the hose and you don’t see a serial #.. they are likely affected.
Yeah, no # on mine. Thanks, I had only heard about the problems with the guides.

Rocks & Water

I went though this with Level TL's Hot days they are shit, cool days they work fine. Did the bleed a few times they still sucked. For the money got XT's, had them on my past bike for like 3 yrs and no problems with all kinds of temps. I also feel to me they have a better feel for braking.

SSmtbr

Just to add another one to the "warrantied" column. My rear TLs acted up a few weeks ago during that really hot spell just sitting inside my house. Left my bike on my rack last summer out in the sun and noticed just the rear was sticking but went away once I brought it inside and didn't think much of it, the front seemed fine so maybe the issues aren't plaguing all of them. No issues with getting it warrantied with apparently the newer lever internals that supposedly have a little more material shaved off in certain spots on the master cylinder piston.

Jmann

So it’s the lever that gets replaced? Debating on rebuilding instead of warranty as I didn’t buy the bike near where I live now or want my bike sidelined for too long.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
I replaced mine with Shimano XTs. That's the easiest fix for me. Gave the Guides to a buddy to experiment with.... like a cadaver.

Top Bottom