Salsa Introduces new Bikepacking line.

grilledcheeseking

Pro: cool stuff. Con: do like Revelate. In any case, I've had the Anything Cradle on item watch for a minute. I've also been looking at clamps (from Bar Yak and McMaster Carr) to try to cobble something together.

Last edited:

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
Pro: cool stuff. Con: do like Revelate. In any case, I've has the Anything Cradle on item watch for a minute. I've also been looking at clamps (from Bar Yak and McMaster Carr) to try to cobble something together.

I mount a sweetroll directly to the handlebar, but also use a bar yak to hold it up off the head tube , for mounting the gps and another but somewhat awkward alternate handhold.

grilledcheeseking

@trailhead yes, interested in not rubbing the paint off my headtube, like I already partially did by strapping a sleeping bag filled dry bag to my bars. also like the idea of getting controls back to natural location and avoiding binding in shift cables!

Ian F

Well... so far all that link did is give me an intense desire for a Salsa Cutthroat... dammit...

huffster

I have that on a "Someday I'm gonna bikepack" wish-list. I like that it has the stand-offs incorporated.

When you do get a chance to use it, I'd be interested in reading your opinions.

grilledcheeseking

I have that on a "Someday I'm gonna bikepack" wish-list. I like that it has the stand-offs incorporated.

When you do get a chance to use it, I'd be interested in reading your opinions.

Haha someday in 2017? Do it up! Where you looking to go?

I've gotten by on past trips with a drybag lashed to the bars but I wasn't happy with where I had to locate my shifters and brake levers to minimize interference. I was actually looking for clamps and junk from McMaster Carr that I could modify, or seeing who had a mill that I could use to make something. When I saw this it seemed like a no brainier.

The cradle is a little smaller than I was expecting, but big enough. Prob similar size to v2 anything cages. The clamps are close enough together that you might have to give up handlebar mounted lights Garmin mounts etc that need to clamp right beside the stem. And I dont think the straps don't fit thru the cradle in the same way they have them pictured in photos.
That's all I have for now.

huffster

I don't really have a plan. I just like the idea. I'd probably go somewhere familiar where I know I can link a few parks and log 2-3 back-to-back days of riding and 1-2 nights of camping. At some point, I'm going to try and cobble together some equipment and just try it see if a) Do I like it? and if so, b) what works, what doesn't? There is so much good equipment, but I want to make sure I have the bug, before I dive in too deep.

grilledcheeseking

It's easy enough to start with a basket and rack(s). I have some that I started with that aren't currently attached to a bike if you wanna give that a go. It's not going to be an ideal singletrack setup, but they'll get you in the woods with your sleeping bag.

huffster

Appreciate the offer. I have a rack that fits a couple of my bikes, but I think I want one for the fatbike anyway. So, I'm thinking I may start with that and an anything cradle. I have a few smaller frame bags that can supplement that.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
The handlebar harness is the most important part of a bike-packing rig. I'm on my 4th set-up. The standard Revelate SweetRoll didn't work for me because I run my bars very low. I used it for the Tuscobia150 and sold it right after. The BarYak set-up is dope but complicated, heavy, expensive. I used that set-up for Jayp's last year and the ITI. It broke on me during Jay's and I redid the whole system before ITI. The Salsa and Specialized harnesses are super simple, super light, and DAF. A big bonus with the Specialized Burra Harness is that it actually holds the bag up about 2 inches higher than the others, allowing for a huge front roll, even on a slammed set-up like mine. PS-The bag actually isn't on the tire, it's just the angle of the pic.

15965498_10211624656873944_5465072531498306720_n.jpg

huffster

That front bag is massive. How many liters is that bag? I assume that has full sleep system (sleeping bag, pad and your bivvy) all rolled together. And being cold weather sleeping bag, it probably doesn't compress as much. I definitely won't be trying for the first time in the winter. :eek:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
That front bag is massive. How many liters is that bag? I assume that has full sleep system (sleeping bag, pad and your bivvy) all rolled together. And being cold weather sleeping bag, it probably doesn't compress as much. I definitely won't be trying for the first time in the winter. :eek:

Yes, everything is rolled together. In the cold you don't want to spend any extra time setting up. For summer I can put my sleep system in the rear saddle bag and don't use a roll.

Top Bottom