Saddle Position

ytc100

jdog said:
In my opinion..

Since I saw you on your bike...

This is what I would do to your bike.

Push the saddle forwad 1-2cm

Cut 1" total off your bars.

Remove all the spacers form under the stem to lower the front end.

Get a 1cm shorter stem.

J

Thanks. Already did the saddle move - going to ride it tomorrow. I have tried the bar lower in the past but didn't like it on decents as much. Although with a shorter stem maybe it will feel different?
I have a 90mm on there now. Not sure if I want to go to an 80. I'll try the saddle move first and see. Thanks for all your input.

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ytc100 said:
Thanks. Already did the saddle move - going to ride it tomorrow. I have tried the bar lower in the past but didn't like it on decents as much. Although with a shorter stem maybe it will feel different?
I have a 90mm on there now. Not sure if I want to go to an 80. I'll try the saddle move first and see. Thanks for all your input.

i honestly like the set up i have better on my SS than my fuel with regards to the stem and bars. the best way i can describe it is that the SS feels more "lively" than the fuel. since i already have the diabolus stem and bars, i may swap them over to see how it feels.

ytc100

bonefishjake said:
i honestly like the set up i have better on my SS than my fuel with regards to the stem and bars. the best way i can describe it is that the SS feels more "lively" than the fuel. since i already have the diabolus stem and bars, i may swap them over to see how it feels.

You have a pretty short stem on the SS right? That could be the "lively" feeling you're talking about as the shorter stem will make handling quicker I believe.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
ytc100 said:
You have a pretty short stem on the SS right? That could be the "lively" feeling you're talking about as the shorter stem will make handling quicker I believe.

Quicker maybe, but more squirrely. Bike handling will suffer, especially when you get tired.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
normZurawski said:
Quicker maybe, but more squirrely. Bike handling will suffer, especially when you get tired.

the bike is definitely not squirrely. sometimes i feel like it corners better than my fuel. but yeah, i do have a 70mm diabolous stem on the SS with the diabolous bars.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
bonefishjake said:
the bike is definitely not squirrely. sometimes i feel like it corners better than my fuel. but yeah, i do have a 70mm diabolous stem on the SS with the diabolous bars.

Corners will probably have more to do with tire selection and maybe how you position yourself on the bike. Do you feel like you lose control a bit in extremely technical spots? Maybe your front wheel seems to have a mind of its own at times?

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
smaller arc...

look at all the downhill rigs...50mm stem...this reduces the riadius of the steering arc to compensate for extended arms and being further back on the seat. With the wide bars, there is plenty of leverage to maintain control.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
trailhead said:
look at all the downhill rigs...50mm stem...this reduces the riadius of the steering arc to compensate for extended arms and being further back on the seat. With the wide bars, there is plenty of leverage to maintain control.

Good point on the extended handlebars.

bonefishjake

Team MTBNJ Halter's
normZurawski said:
Corners will probably have more to do with tire selection and maybe how you position yourself on the bike. Do you feel like you lose control a bit in extremely technical spots? Maybe your front wheel seems to have a mind of its own at times?

well, since my tires are from 1993, i would say yes, the front wheel most certainly has a mind of it's own. i'm on the prowl for new ones.

in all honesty, the only real techy stuff i've done has been mahlon with the SS and it felt good. i've had no wandering issues on PP/LM at all.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
trailhead said:

but downhill rigs have a very slack head angle to make up for it as well. it's all personal preferance though. if he's looking to be an xc racer, a stem around or over 100mm might be the best choice, but if he's just looking to have fun on the trails, it's whatever he feel comfortable with. i personally prefer a slightly longer(110) stem on a ss, because without it my back starts cramping up on a long hilly ride.

trailhead

JORBA: Wildcat/Splitrock
JORBA.ORG
makes sense.....

longer stem for SS, when climbing in the standing position, you don't want your bar too close to your thighs.

Top Bottom