RV project meetings/updates

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i just put it on my calendar...will suggest pump track.

Patrick

Staff member
I would suggest a loop around the water trail. The 'there and back' gets old. Doubt any of this is part of the plans.

not happening - we might be able to come out farther up old mt road, but the north/earth damn is off limits. and it doesn't offer the same clearance as the south damn.

additional trails is where you want to go!!! ridge and mid-mountain.

rlb

From
http://www.roundvalleyproject.com/2017/10/12/round-valley-reservoir-progress-update-101217/

The Round Valley Project entails a number of components including installation of improved drainage systems on the embankments, abutment grouting, dredging the channel where the reservoir is filled, security upgrades, instrumentation upgrades, and a number of other structural and mechanical improvements.

Doesn't seem like it should impact MTB aside from temporary trail closures. I could see some trail needing to be rebuilt from heavy equipment access.

Will put this on my calendar, hopefully I can make it.

Patrick

Staff member
From
http://www.roundvalleyproject.com/2017/10/12/round-valley-reservoir-progress-update-101217/

Doesn't seem like it should impact MTB aside from temporary trail closures. I could see some trail needing to be rebuilt from heavy equipment access.

Will put this on my calendar, hopefully I can make it.

doubt they will ever need to drive on the single track - perhaps cross it????

Would be nice to have you there.

- i wonder if we could propose enough security features to come out at the north damn, onto the road (old mt road).
there is still the damn eagle thing tho.

Dingo

- i wonder if we could propose enough security features to come out at the north damn, onto the road (old mt road).
I like your thinking.

DargSide

Honestly, I don't see a reason why the eagle trail needs to close in the summer

Patrick

Staff member
Honestly, I don't see a reason why the eagle trail needs to close in the summer

the theory is that the parents will be flushed from the nest and leave the eaglets exposed to predators. I doubt this is true.
Protecting them when they were the only nesting pair in NJ was the right thing to do. I'm sure they have acclimated to our ground-based existence.
It would be nice to complete the loop back to cush, perhaps with lift service. ;)

speaking of which, i need to get out there and remove that tree.

qclabrat

Going to try to get there as well
No voice, no representation for the mtb community. We know how that goes...

Public Information Session
November 14, 2017
Time: 6:30 – 8:00 PM
North Hunterdon Regional High School
1445 State Route 31
Annandale, NJ 08801

rlb

This totally escaped me, I can't make it tomorrow. Let us know how it goes. Hoping it's going to have minimal impact.

Patrick

Staff member
f-me. my reminder that i set for 6:00 just went off.
i blame the time change.

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ride there while you can! The closing of the Cushetunk ‘red’ trail at RV is inevitable albeit temporary.

For those who care, I’ll summarize the project in a nut shell. The New Jersey Water Supply authority is going to reconstruct the reservoir’s dike and three dams. Stage 1 involves the embankment and foundation modifications. This will be about 6 months starting in Spring/Fall 2018. Stage 2 is full reformation of the down-steam face of the dams and adding drains. This will be 1-2 years starting in 2019.

So what does that mean to us trail users?
We are screwed.

The only dam that affects us bikers on the ‘red’ trail is the south dam, which is located along the chain link fence at the base of the switch backs where we cross over the service road to start climbing.

During stage 1 there will be drilling equipment on the dam and the red trail “will be closed or rerouted” which is TBD. The NJDEP actually controls the recreation aspects of the park. During Stage 2 the red trail will be closed. It’s a safety issue. The entire grass face of the dam that we ride by is going to be removed and regraded. Earth will be brought in and it will eventually be reseeded to look relatively similar to what it does now. But our access through that point will be shut down for well over a year.

Things that may affect other folks:
-Rt 629, which runs the north side of the reservoir will be closed to traffic (car and foot) for 1-2 yrs.
-The inner park road will be closed for approx. 1 yr.
-Possible access limitation to the Cushetunk parking lot off of Old Mountain Road. Even though the north dam is quite a ways from that lot, it was implied the lot/area may be used for storage of earth and materials, but I'm asking for clarification on that.
-Boating should not be impacted.

The Q&A portion went so long that they stopped taking questions. I’ve submitted three questions electronically and I’ll post here when I get answers?
1. Who will determine whether the red trail gets rerouted or closed during stage 1 and will trail-user groups have any input?
2. How will the general public be informed of closing/opening dates?
3. Will our access to the Cushetunk Parking Lot ever be impacted?

qclabrat

Ride there while you can! The closing of the Cushetunk ‘red’ trail at RV is inevitable albeit temporary.

For those who care, I’ll summarize the project in a nut shell. The New Jersey Water Supply authority is going to reconstruct the reservoir’s dike and three dams. Stage 1 involves the embankment and foundation modifications. This will be about 6 months starting in Spring/Fall 2018. Stage 2 is full reformation of the down-steam face of the dams and adding drains. This will be 1-2 years starting in 2019.

So what does that mean to us trail users?
We are screwed.

The only dam that affects us bikers on the ‘red’ trail is the south dam, which is located along the chain link fence at the base of the switch backs where we cross over the service road to start climbing.

During stage 1 there will be drilling equipment on the dam and the red trail “will be closed or rerouted” which is TBD. The NJDEP actually controls the recreation aspects of the park. During Stage 2 the red trail will be closed. It’s a safety issue. The entire grass face of the dam that we ride by is going to be removed and regraded. Earth will be brought in and it will eventually be reseeded to look relatively similar to what it does now. But our access through that point will be shut down for well over a year.

Things that may affect other folks:
-Rt 629, which runs the north side of the reservoir will be closed to traffic (car and foot) for 1-2 yrs.
-The inner park road will be closed for approx. 1 yr.
-Possible access limitation to the Cushetunk parking lot off of Old Mountain Road. Even though the north dam is quite a ways from that lot, it was implied the lot/area may be used for storage of earth and materials, but I'm asking for clarification on that.
-Boating should not be impacted.

The Q&A portion went so long that they stopped taking questions. I’ve submitted three questions electronically and I’ll post here when I get answers?
1. Who will determine whether the red trail gets rerouted or closed during stage 1 and will trail-user groups have any input?
2. How will the general public be informed of closing/opening dates?
3. Will our access to the Cushetunk Parking Lot ever be impacted?

Thanks for the update that is really terrible news. Will there be additional meetings to update the public? Will the scouting section be impacted?

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My understanding is that access to the scout area via the red trail will be shut down. I believe access via boat is also not possible anymore because the water level is so low. There is a road access to the scout pavilion and hopefully at some point the NJDEP will have meetings where we can voice our opinion about access to the trail back there.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions