Rut Row, Wharton on Fire

mustclime

Fox says it on fire.....sorry, waiting on a news source that does not fake news 95% of the time.....:rolleyes:

huffster

Hmmm, is that common? I rode there a couple weeks ago for the first and only time. I did the 19 mile loop. There was a large part that seemed to have been recently char-broiled.

moray42

Merman
There are fires of varied sizes out there fairly often (once a year I think anyway). There is a section pretty far out on orange that did get toasted 2-3 years back I think.

That being said, I checked the map based on where it is said to be, and it looks to be on the Atsion side west of 206. This places it well off from the trails for now. I expect 206 to act as a break unless wind pushes embers over, and then it'd still have to cross the upper Mullica river and tributaries.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Hmmm, is that common? I rode there a couple weeks ago for the first and only time. I did the 19 mile loop. There was a large part that seemed to have been recently char-broiled.

Some portion of the forest burns every year. Nothing will change about the ride itself. If anythign ,it will make for a temporary change of scenery that will quickly fill in and look like everything else again in a matter of weeks.

huffster

Looked like this on 10/24. It was actually kind of picturesque with the red/green/black. Nature is remarkably resilient.
IMG_2685.JPG

Last edited:

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Looked like this on 10/24. It was actually kind of picturesque with the red/green/black. Nature is remarkably resilient.
View attachment 43829

What this photo isn't clear on, though, is that the red in those low-lying shrubs isn't from autumn colors - it's blood from the shins of all the riders going through those fucking cheese grater plant sections. :D

Wharton is a great place to put in base miles in the winter and I don't think any amount of fire out there will change that precisely because there's not much to it. It's basically a narrow strip of sandy dirt looping through a big forest. That's what makes it such a great winter destination - you can cruise that strip of dirt or hammer it if you want, and nothing around it impacts the ride even a little. It's all the same. If all the trees burned, that strip of dirt would still be there, twisting and turning back and forth for however many miles you want to ride.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions