Running a internal dropper post on a non-internal frame?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
The scalpel I have has lost its water bottle boss and now has a clean hole into the frame. I'd like a dropper post for some adventures I do, but not all. I would swap it in and out depending on the terrain. My thoughts are that I could pickup an internal dropper post setup, run the cable through this hole and have a clean setup.

IMG_2358.JPG

Maybe i should clean this thing too...

Has anyone done this? I think the cable looks terrible and would like to avoid it. Can you talk me into it or out of it? This one for $135 fits the bill.

Did you make sure you can actually thread a housing from there up into the seat tube?

I have no idea how that frame is internally, but that could be an issue...

no, dont...just get an external. You will never take an internal on an off, its too big of a pain.
This. ^ You'll have to disconnect from the lever each time you want to remove it and then deal with threading it back through the hole, not to mention bleeding the lever each time if it's hydro. Go external and just zip tie it to one of your shifter/brake cables.

If the seatpost is 27.2, get the Thomson external and a Wolftooth remote. There aren't a ton of 27.2 external options. I got one in November and quite pleased. I almost drilled out my frame so I could get the Fox Transfer, but decided to go Thomson and not have to deal with it. If you are looking for flexibility, now that it is set up I can have it on or off the frame in 5 minutes.

This is for a 30.9. Those Thomson pieces are beautiful, but I can't justify it on this bike. I'd probably pick up a regular one of their posts before I dropped coin on the dropper like that.

I may only use this seatpost 10-15 times a year, and I think that is a lot actually. The times I will be using it I will be glad I had it that's for sure.

This is like putting a turbo on a car not designed for it... you'd be One of the firsts....report back on the trials and tribulations...

This is like putting a turbo on a car not designed for it... you'd be One of the firsts....report back on the trials and tribulations...
But you can get one for about the same price as a dropper, and a dropper doesn't make the "VROOOOOOM PSSSSHHHHHHHHH" sound. Honda Fit turbo > Dropped Scalpel.

If you're only going to use it like 10-15 times--- which I doubt bc you'll probably LOVE it (as I'm told the same thing) then external routing may be best for those needs. Since the frame really isn't designed for it thus "making it work" could be finicky throughout each "install". Isn't it time for a daddy gift anyways? ;)

Edit: I am still saying go for it!

The local terrain isn't gnarly enough to keep it on sadly, would be completely overkill.... maybe I just need another bike

Pick up a Fox Doss from Ebay. They are super reliable and can be had on the inexpensive side. It's external & is easy to get on & off with just some zip ties and 1 Allen key. I loved mine & Iggy bought it when I got my new ride. He's digging it and even put it on himself, so you know it must be easy.

Pick up a Fox Doss from Ebay. They are super reliable and can be had on the inexpensive side. It's external & is easy to get on & off with just some zip ties and 1 Allen key. I loved mine & Iggy bought it when I got my new ride. He's digging it and even put it on himself, so you know it must be easy.

Paul's fox got stuck in the down position at Nassau on Saturday. His is internal I think though.

The local terrain isn't gnarly enough to keep it on sadly, would be completely overkill.... maybe I just need another bike

I LOVE this. The local terrain isn't knarly enough to just keep the dropper installed permanently (which has virtually no downside), but you can justify another bike. LOL

I LOVE this. The local terrain isn't knarly enough to just keep the dropper installed permanently (which has virtually no downside), but you can justify another bike. LOL

the downside is the weight and another thing to fail. i dont mind the weight climbing if i know when i go downhill i will need it... makes sense to me?

the whole reason i want the dropper post is for some of the more rad events in pisgah. or for fun rides up that way. some of the stuff is just soooo steep.

as always videos do not do anything justice, and it looks like these people are morons, but this is the event/race i want this for:

at 2:37 they are walking DOWNHILL... I died here twice IIRC

After doing TSEpic, and especially after stage 5 (around 1:18 mark in the video), I decided to put a dropper on my Scalpel.

haha yup, it's amazing how dumb it looks but man, it's scary how steep some of that stuff gets.

but all the local stuff is tame enough that i would never need it, so taking it off seems to be the best bet

Back
Top Bottom