Rt 514 closed at Millstone

Ian F

In case anyone is travelling east/west through there, the bridge over the canal was closed unexpectedly on Friday. Traffic was a mess on Friday. Wasn't bad this morning thanks to MLK Day (schools closed), but combined with both causeways being flooded, everyone has to cross in Manville. Tomorrow (1/20) will be fun.

From what I've heard, the bridge will reopen sometime in Feb, possibly late Feb.

rick81721

Lothar
Yeah friday coming home was a disaster - took me 1.5 hrs to go 15 miles. And the road rage on the 4 way stop at Blackwells Mills-Canal road was getting insane - pretty much a free for all. The next month of commuting will be a joy :rolleyes:

Ian F

I was lucky enough to get to that intersection a little before 4pm and things were already getting bad. Traffic was already backed up across the causeway and down Canal Rd towards Amwell as far as I could see and the poor folks coming from Canal Rd South looked like they had no idea what was going on (nor did I, really...). I turned down Canal Rd and crossed at Griggstown. I didn't know what was going on with 514 until I got into work this morning and talked to a local.

More info. http://www.nj.com/somerset/index.ssf/2015/01/oversized_trucks_force_shut_down_of_franklin_bridg.html

Heavy trucks kept running over the bridge that was only rated for 14 tons.

The way Franklin Twp loves to hand out tickets, I'm suprised they didn't have a cop sitting by that bridge 24/7...

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
I was laughing at the poor fools doing uturns on canal road - some almost ending up 8n a ditch. Like it was gonna be any better at west on canal?

THATmanMANNY

it actually was :) I waited on canal for like 10 min =, did a U'e and manville causeway was clear.

Sucks for me cause 514 is my A line to the train station! :mad:

THATmanMANNY

That was at 7pm. I was surprised. I thought traffic would have dispersed by then. I'm sure I would have waited another 20min in line at least.

Things will be interesting. Really sucks. But ill prob still to manville bridge because of lights.

Ian F

Coming from Somerset, I'll probably try going around it all via South Middlebush to Suydam Rd to get to Canal Rd and the Griggstown causeway. Once the flood waters receed... We'll see... :hmmm:

I remember last year when the Manville bridge was closed. Sometimes the traffic crossing at Blackwells Mills would be backed up well past 6pm. Traffic on 514 would be backed up to Elizabeth.

rlb

Isn't that bridge fairly new?Like <10 years old?

Also is S Middlebush closed anywhere due to flooding? I need to head that way for work tomorrow, don't want to get caught.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Isn't that bridge fairly new?Like <10 years old?

Also is S Middlebush closed anywhere due to flooding? I need to head that way for work tomorrow, don't want to get caught.

according to my app alerts it reached peak so you should be cool anywhere along the river tomorrow.

Ian F

I think the 514 bridge over the Millstone is fairly new, but it looks like the bridge over the Canal has been piece-meal-repaired for some time.

Traffic across the Westin bridge was good this morning - at 5:50AM... :rolleyes: ...but according to my coworkers, it was backiing up pretty good an hour later.

Both causeways are still under water. Maybe clear by tomorrow afternoon. Maybe. Although if it snows all bets are off since the twp crews might still have to clear the road way of debris.

South Middlebush doesn't seem to flood as bad since they rebuilt the road through that area a couple of years ago.

Top Bottom