Route out of S Plainfield

VanDbtRiver

With my recent acquisition of a road bike, I now have the dilemma of keeping rides interesting. I usually end up in Union county somewhere, which is unfamiliar to me. Along the way I rip thru Westfield terrorizing motorists and pedestrians... and that's...OK. I am looking for an easy way to get across rt 22 to access the abundance of hill climbs. I would also like to avoid Plainfield if possible.

walter

Fourth Party
What about Washington Ave through Dunellen? There is a light at the intersection with 22 and it shoots you right into the mountains.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah, I think through Dunellen is a good bet. You can also cross 22 outside Westfield in Mountainside and head into Watchung Res to loop that around. Let me think more about it and map it out for you.

VanDbtRiver

Yeah, I think through Dunellen is a good bet. You can also cross 22 outside Westfield in Mountainside and head into Watchung Res to loop that around. Let me think more about it and map it out for you.

yeah, I was looking for this Mountainside access, I ended up in springfield via Echo Lake.

walter

Fourth Party
yeah, I was looking for this Mountainside access, I ended up in springfield via Echo Lake.

If you are in Westfield on Broad St going towards 22, make the left onto Mountain Ave. Follow that road and it will curve to the right and head up towards 22. You will come to a light, I think its New Providence Rd, make a left again and follow this around to 22. There is a light there that you can cross at. I think this may take you up into the Reservation. I work over here a lot, just give me a bit to get it together.

Where are you trying to get, like the Berkley Heights/Summit area?

VanDbtRiver

If you are in Westfield on Broad St going towards 22, make the left onto Mountain Ave. Follow that road and it will curve to the right and head up towards 22. You will come to a light, I think its New Providence Rd, make a left again and follow this around to 22. There is a light there that you can cross at. I think this may take you up into the Reservation. I work over here a lot, just give me a bit to get it together.

Where are you trying to get, like the Berkley Heights/Summit area?

OK, I feel ya... I have been on mountain ave and I usually bail out onto Kimball and head back. I know exactly the intersection you are talking about, 22 and New Prov, Exxon on one side and some kind of ambulatory unit on the other. Thanks Walt, you always lend a hand!

walter

Fourth Party
Im trying:D Like I said, I dont know where that will take you once you cross over 22. If you go down into Cranford and take Springfield Ave up past UCC, bang the left onto the Kenilworth Blvd. and that will take you up and over 22 and from there you can work your way up into Summit, Milburn and Short Hills.

Or you could just wait for Vreeland to log on, these are probably close to his normal routes.

walter

Fourth Party
You could also go the opposite direction towards Bound Brook, make the right by Effingers and take Thompson Ave up and over 22 past CR and have all the glory of the hills over by Norm.

VanDbtRiver

You could also go the opposite direction towards Bound Brook, make the right by Effingers and take Thompson Ave up and over 22 past CR and have all the glory of the hills over by Norm.

yeah...:hmmm: I am trying 2 minimize my mileage on the south side of 22 and maximize it on the other side. I think your New Prov suggestion is key...I just have to figure out how to link up with Watchung and Wash Valley Rd.

VanDbtRiver

I am off of Park ave, E Fairview, so I usually bust out onto Woodland Ave, why, do you need something from the Buy-Rite?:D

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you hit Echo Lake Park you missed it by 1/4-1/2 mile maybe?

walter

Fourth Party
I am off of Park ave, E Fairview, so I usually bust out onto Woodland Ave, why, do you need something from the Buy-Rite?:D

No, just trying to figure out the easist way:D

Even though you wanted to avoid Plainfield, the quickest would be to go up Park Ave., I think Park turns into Somerset St, take that up and over 22 by the KFC and that will put you right at Valley Rd/ Washington valley Rd circle, by that lake over there.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is something:
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/nj/scotch plains/145124658258538355

I think the more useful part is how to get to Watchung, which is less than 8 miles. The route 28 crossing is foggy to me, it's been a long time. But that's about as direct as you can get. You could hit the reservoir and do a loop, go home, and that's maybe a 22 mile loop. I have you up into NP, then into the swamp, and past my house, and then I just started clicking randomly. I don't know how many miles you're looking for.

The other side is tougher, especially for a new road biker. Dunellen is trafficky, so you'll have to find your way there over time. A few too many potholes and so on for my liking there. If you ride early enough, at least the riffraff isn't so prevalent. You could do the Dunellen thing and right up Warrenville, but that's brutal.

Let me know when you're game. I'll ride down and try to figure out some good roads with you.

VanDbtRiver

No, just trying to figure out the easist way:D

Even though you wanted to avoid Plainfield, the quickest would be to go up Park Ave., I think Park turns into Somerset St, take that up and over 22 by the KFC and that will put you right at Valley Rd/ Washington valley Rd circle, by that lake over there.

word.. I will give that a shot after work tomorrow.. terrorizin' some folks in Plainfield, then head for the hills!

VanDbtRiver

This is something:
http://www.mapmyride.com/route/us/nj/scotch plains/145124658258538355

I think the more useful part is how to get to Watchung, which is less than 8 miles. The route 28 crossing is foggy to me, it's been a long time. But that's about as direct as you can get. You could hit the reservoir and do a loop, go home, and that's maybe a 22 mile loop. I have you up into NP, then into the swamp, and past my house, and then I just started clicking randomly. I don't know how many miles you're looking for.

The other side is tougher, especially for a new road biker. Dunellen is trafficky, so you'll have to find your way there over time. A few too many potholes and so on for my liking there. If you ride early enough, at least the riffraff isn't so prevalent. You could do the Dunellen thing and right up Warrenville, but that's brutal.

Let me know when you're game. I'll ride down and try to figure out some good roads with you.

Yeah Norm, this is just what I was looking for. I was feeling kind of landlocked not being able to cross 22 efficiently. I would def be ready to bang this one out, the only thing is I am on a ss 48x17... I think I can pull off most climbs:hmmm:

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah Norm, this is just what I was looking for. I was feeling kind of landlocked not being able to cross 22 efficiently. I would def be ready to bang this one out, the only thing is I am on a ss 48x17... I think I can pull off most climbs:hmmm:

Well do this. Figure out your route to Watchung, and see how well you do with those climbs up in there. Just do an out & back, work out some side roads and so on. When you see how you do with those we can get together and explore from there. NFW you can climb Warrenville with that though. So that can be the way you go home :)

Top Bottom