round_valley_map.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 2,694

adogg

The latest trail map I could find:

Attachments

• round valley area map.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 742

adogg

I found it on NJDEP (New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection). It looks like the map is from 2007.

Mare

Has anyone ridden from Pickell Park through the trails to the Cushetunk climb (the trails dump you out at the top of that climb so you're not riding from the Cushetunk lot). I've only seen these trails on a map so I have no idea if they're bike friendly or huge boulders the whole way.

qclabrat

Has anyone ridden from Pickell Park through the trails to the Cushetunk climb (the trails dump you out at the top of that climb so you're not riding from the Cushetunk lot). I've only seen these trails on a map so I have no idea if they're bike friendly or huge boulders the whole way.
definitely rideable, rode from there twice, though haven't been there all year

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

https://www.strava.com/activities/623979486

this pretty much covers it - the white trail along the ridge ridden (not ridden here) from south to north is excellent.
the connector from the cushetunk trail (red) in RV is not done yet (it was, but had to be relocated) - there is a cairn at the cut-off.
here i ended up on the old trail and doubled back - then took a logging road down to the powerlines.

https://www.strava.com/activities/138239844

--

pickell connector gets soft approaching the powerlines, and there are a few puddles along the powerline track, most is service road, so rather compressed..
the blue trail is straight up the mountain from the powerlines, and a bit crazy with waterbars, and climbs, off the saddle (climb-o-death)

let me know when you want a tour. probably need about two weeks of dry weather at this point.

Are you just looking to shorten the drive? we (@Norm) changed up the cush climb by restoring the red trail, so parking at cush isn't bad.
Rather than doing the white, straight up, the yellow-to-red comes out near the top - perhaps we'll go for another switchback this year
to make it rideable to the top.

Last edited:

qclabrat

https://www.strava.com/activities/623979486

this pretty much covers it - the white trail along the ridge ridden (not ridden here) from south to north is excellent.
the connector from the cushetunk trail (red) in RV is not done yet (it was, but had to be relocated) - there is a cairn at the cut-off.
here i ended up on the old trail and doubled back - then took a logging road down to the powerlines.
https://www.strava.com/activities/138239844

--

pickell connector gets soft approaching the powerlines, and there are a few puddles along the powerline track, most is service road, so rather compressed..
the blue trail is straight up the mountain from the powerlines, and a bit crazy with waterbars, and climbs, off the saddle (climb-o-death)

let me know when you want a tour. probably need about two weeks of dry weather at this point.

Are you just looking to shorten the drive? we (@Norm) changed up the cush climb by restoring the red trail.
Rather than doing the white, straight up, the red comes out near the top - perhaps we'll go for another switchback this year
Have any of the trails been impacted by the planned utility work?

Mare

Are you just looking to shorten the drive? we (@Norm) changed up the cush climb by restoring the red trail, so parking at cush isn't bad.
Rather than doing the white, straight up, the yellow-to-red comes out near the top - perhaps we'll go for another switchback this year

Thanks for all the info! I would like a tour soon, sure! I am just looking to ride from my house...I am a few miles from Pickell Park so I figured if I can get to the trails from there, rather than riding along Mountain and Railroad Ave, that would be a bonus.

Off I go look at your Strava loops now and make sense of the trails a bit :)

chemgirl

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Thanks for all the info! I would like a tour soon, sure! I am just looking to ride from my house...I am a few miles from Pickell Park so I figured if I can get to the trails from there, rather than riding along Mountain and Railroad Ave, that would be a bonus.

Off I go look at your Strava loops now and make sense of the trails a bit :)
LMK when you go, I'll join you.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Let's pick a date and plan it! Otherwise I am too spontaneous and end up just doing my own thing. A few weeks of dry or when it freezes??? @fidodie let's stay in touch and plan something as soon as it's rideable :)

I'll try for this too.

Mare

I didn't get on the bike today so I decided to go explore these trails on foot. The blue climb up is steap! It makes other RV climbs seem small. I'm not sure I'll make that on my bike anytime soon (or ever), but I'll try with you all soon :)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions