Round valley guide

roc

I'm looking to ride round valley with a buddy on Friday around 12-12:30. The last time I rode their was a king of the hill biathlon, has to 10 years at least. We can both ride, I'm a little slow on the up hills, but my buddy is very fast. I feel you can't show us around, any suggestions for a loop?
Thanks!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Isn't there just one trail/out-and-back? @fidodie probably knows all one of them and can post something.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was going to be around that area. You want to give ma and a buddy a tour of wildcat around that time?

I won't be able to get out that early but I could probably do something like 3-3:30pm?

roc

I'll see if that works, I would like to go there again. I'm pretty sure my buddy will wat to do it earlier, I haven't been to round valley in forever, is it worth it, or should I just go to mooch or Mahlon or split Rock? H meeting me from morristown, so he's not going to care where's we go. Unless roundly valley is great.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
3:30 is realistically the earliest I could be there ready to ride, and I might run a bit late. Personally, Round Valley would be my last choice of the options you listed, but if you haven't been there in ten years then maybe you'll enjoy checking it out.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'll see if that works, I would like to go there again. I'm pretty sure my buddy will wat to do it earlier, I haven't been to round valley in forever, is it worth it, or should I just go to mooch or Mahlon or split Rock? H meeting me from morristown, so he's not going to care where's we go. Unless roundly valley is great.

is rv great?

excellent question. The downhills are thrilling, but ya got to pay to get to them.
the climb up from cush is fun, until the last 100 yards - which is hike-a-bike, but the next couple miles is a blast, followed by a tough climb.
then some flow, DH, and another climb - repeat.

the climb from the south damn up the switchbacks is tough - with a couple of rooty step-ups, and serious altitude gain in a short distance.
The views are worth it. I saw the eagle last time. Then once out to the rec area/boat launch, it is either continue on the road or just head back
with only one optional trail that can't be found without a guide.

it is more about the climbing than the tech - intentionally.
I also have not been through since last week's straight line winds, so that is a wildcard.

It is the place to go when everywhere else is wet.

did i us the word climb a lot? yup.

i went on a wildcat ride last year that was awesome - probably the most fun i had on a bike in 2017.
following a guide (well, sort of following, cause it was bill) there were all types of alternate lines, and features.
This happens at the sourlands too - but not at RV.

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i went on a wildcat ride last year that was awesome - probably the most fun i had on a bike in 2017.
following a guide (well, sort of following, cause it was bill) there were all types of alternate lines, and features.

"Don't follow Bill" is basically the only rule for riding at Wildcat, glad to hear that you survived the experience :p

Top Bottom