Round Valley Conditions

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Trails were perfect today - if it wasn't for the extra gravity......

even with the leaves on the trails, they were frozen down, and not slippery.
Came across a couple of trees down, but there were go-arounds, and go-overs.

have at it.

Patrick

Staff member
There is a tree down after leaving the fire road towards the camp ground split - just east of marker 25. starting the uphill.
Too big to hand cut - and too big to get over on the way back.

trails after crossing the south damn access road are in great shape. The tech part approaching the damn from the east
has washed out a bit more, and is scarier looking, although still easy enough, once committed.

Last edited:

FitmanNJ

I don't know about the other trails in the state, but Round Valley was a delight to ride today. Approximately 2" of new snowfall, and a true "Winter Wonderland":

IMG_0326.JPG

Patrick

Staff member
Rode RV out of cush today - trails were hard and snow covered.
traction was a problem in the steeper sections, so extra hike-a-bike.

they have re-blazed the ridge trail in cush to red. it is well marked now, and very rideable in the direction we went (south to north)
the connector trail from RV red to the cush red is tough in these conditions, because there is almost no bench cut.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
they have re-blazed the ridge trail in cush to red. it is well marked now, and very ridea

Ok, so coming from cush, going up and over that nasty hike a bike, there are 2 trails blazed on the left... A blue about half way up and a red at the peak. Right? Where do these go?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, so coming from cush, going up and over that nasty hike a bike, there are 2 trails blazed on the left... A blue about half way up and a red at the peak. Right? Where do these go?

The blue is not worth it. It's on old moto trail that the hiking club reopened a few years ago. Eventually that will drop you out to the power line again and then you can take that connector out to the municipal building at the corner of Mountain Rd and 523.

Red at the top is what Pat is referring to. That will connect back into the "normal" loop. Pretty much bring you to the top of the hill that drops down to the phone booth.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ah. Ok. I rode the ridge trail from the hike a bike for hundred yards or so and then it got sketchy and I had already done the whole park so I bailed.

But you guys are saying it's somewhat rideable?

Patrick

Staff member

what they said.

Red to the left side of the tree trunk at the top - it stays on the ridge, until it turns left down the hill to hook up with that blue trail again.
There is a rock cairn marking where to turn back towards the reservoir. This is the red connector that bring you back to the regular RV Red.
It is very difficult to ride north-to-south. not impossible, just better the other way. i rode the whole thing today except for the staircase that lines up with a tree.

one problem is, the connector trail on the RV side was re-routed because it encroached on private property (i think). so the new trail currently sucks
cause it isn't a trail yet. no bench cut, and difficult, uphill rock gardens.

rick went the wrong way, again.

it is fairly clear on the strava map, including the moving of the trail, compared to the old one.
https://www.strava.com/activities/1415779153

Off The Road Again

I hiked from Cush lot, no bike so I checked out Blue. Lot of potential good riding, until I got to the steps...Aside from a few, this is a hike-a-bike area. At the top it's gnarly, rocky, but rideable if you know the line. The view from the top is awesome! Beginning of Blue is deceptively easy, long downhill thinking you're going back to car, but it winds its way uphill. Next time I start from Cush I'll have my bike and ride blue. I already know the straight-up sucks so may as well try this trail.

Patrick

Staff member
I hiked from Cush lot, no bike so I checked out Blue. Lot of potential good riding, until I got to the steps...Aside from a few, this is a hike-a-bike area. At the top it's gnarly, rocky, but rideable if you know the line. The view from the top is awesome! Beginning of Blue is deceptively easy, long downhill thinking you're going back to car, but it winds its way uphill. Next time I start from Cush I'll have my bike and ride blue. I already know the straight-up sucks so may as well try this trail.

this morning? How is the trees/branches situation?

here is just about everything.
except white(or it might be blazed yellow now) connects the two "high" points. it wasn't cleared when i did this, it is now

https://www.strava.com/activities/623979486

adogg

There are reports of multiple downed trees and the entrance to the park was closed today. Took a ride around the reservoir, seems like a lot of people don't have power due to downed wires. You could hear almost every other house run a gas generator.

Patrick

Staff member
There are reports of multiple downed trees and the entrance to the park was closed today. Took a ride around the reservoir, seems like a lot of people don't have power due to downed wires. You could hear almost every other house run a gas generator.

Saw your ride - nice job! got a lot of trail in.

in case you didn't know.
you can go around the high side of that gate on round valley road, there is a trail. although the descent down stanton mountain road is a hoot!!!
and also ride the trail from the boat launch to the scuba parking in the winter. sometimes the gate is open, otherwise there is a path there too.
riding between the water line and the woods is fun - but maybe not today.

adogg

Saw your ride - nice job! got a lot of trail in.

in case you didn't know.
you can go around the high side of that gate on round valley road, there is a trail. although the descent down stanton mountain road is a hoot!!!
and also ride the trail from the boat launch to the scuba parking in the winter. sometimes the gate is open, otherwise there is a path there too.
riding between the water line and the woods is fun - but maybe not today.

I saw all those "No Trespassing" signs to the left and right of the gate at the top of Round Valley Rd., not sure who else looks at our rides on Strava, but didn't want to give anyone another reason to make it harder for us to ride in these parks so just headed back down the road. The gate between the boat lunch and scuba parking lot appeared to be closed today. You're right about going down Stanton Rd., I hit almost 30 mph there. It actually turned out to be a great day to be out there today.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah it's a mess. About 9 trees down between boat launch & eagles nest start. And a TON of branches everywhere. It's will take a while before it's cleaned up. On the plus side, it's mostly dry.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions