Rothrock TrailMix - Canceled

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
$0.02 - might be unrelated, but whatever.

I am working the Jerseyman Triathlon out of round valley this weekend.
it sold out at 450 participants - about 16 classes. 2 different distances, M&F and elite/3 diff AG.
they expect 10% no-show, and because the weather is good, they will oversell with day-of.
probably close to 500. The cap is the amount of parking in the RVR area lots.
the masters age groups are faster than the under 39.......

-------

How to make mtb racing more approachable?
NICA is going to take a few years to filter-up.

How to get the casual groups to show up and do a cat 3 race, and have fun
with their "crew" and then move up (or not) -

i think one idea is races at nj mtb festival.....
make races more festival-ish

not easy - got a feeling it is a marketing problem.

People don't like mamils.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Randos are probably increasing cause no one knew what a rando was before last year. So the “let me try that out it’s new” factor is kicking in.

Yeah. There's probably also an increase in Brevet participation from Disease ride folks. Pay $35 for a no frills 200k or raise thousands of dollars on top of a multi hundred dollar entry fee for some disease no one will ever cure? Seems like a no brainer to me. Hence, increase in participation.

Sven Migot

Except like 10 people showed up to that Poker thing.
That poker thing (Snowball's Chance) was really fun and very different. A huge party. Cash payout for 1/2/3 was something like $400+/$300+/$200+ and anyone that hit the checkpoints could win.
Not sure what the turnout was but I would guess at least 100+. Not bad for March. Will go again for sure...

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Maybe Deejay Birtch has the right idea with the Erie events? They involve the whole town and run the party on main street.

i was discussing this with the tri organizer - urban tri with a lap race, more spectator friendly.
get some food trucks, entertainment, etc.
harder for mtb, but maybe not impossible. I like the idea that Ryan is using for the mooch race, come through/near
the staging area a couple times per lap.

Also thought Lance and the group out of Pure Energy did a great job with HippoCross a couple years back
with the food, band, kids' course... Fun atmosphere. "come watch a bike race, don't cost nothing" would have worked there.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Yeah. There's probably also an increase in Brevet participation from Disease ride folks. Pay $35 for a no frills 200k or raise thousands of dollars on top of a multi hundred dollar entry fee for some disease no one will ever cure? Seems like a no brainer to me. Hence, increase in participation.
but how many people are actually interested in doing 200k events year after year? I really have no idea how many people do these, what do the number look like? Do the NJ event you do break 100 people?

Gravel events are hot AF right now. 10% of the people race them and everyone else in for the challenge. People seem to travel for them too.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
but how many people are actually interested in doing 200k events year after year? I really have no idea how many people do these, what do the number look like? Do the NJ event you do break 100 people?

Gravel events are hot AF right now. 10% of the people race them and everyone else in for the challenge. People seem to travel for them too.

The first paragraph begs the question of statistics. All of our collective discussion is really mental masturbation without actual numbers to back any of this up.

Who wants to collate the data on all races in all disciplines over the last 6 years? I’m joking of course but this would be an amazing picture to look at and I bet, very telling.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Cycling is increasing in popularity but not the racing end of it. This is a good article to understand over view of fitness trends. Page 9 had an interesting finding as it pertains to cycling and what folks are looking for -Being outdoors, away from the regular demands of work and family responsibility and being able to unplug for a short period of time, attracts all ages.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAKegQIARAB&usg=AOvVaw0PlOMH-KJ3JuLmxecXN91x

Another good article for breakdowns of popularity of activities by age groups and sex.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw1biZTfExPjz4RUouDKHr5F&cshid=1558183034334

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The first paragraph begs the question of statistics. All of our collective discussion is really mental masturbation without actual numbers to back any of this up.

Who wants to collate the data on all races in all disciplines over the last 6 years? I’m joking of course but this would be an amazing picture to look at and I bet, very telling.

this is interesting - looking at the portfolio, rather than single discipline.
When is @Ryan.P organizing the mtbnj dh or enduro ?
@MagiCx ! has a nice ring to it.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I’m talking into my phone as I drive to chimney rock to check it out so take this for what it’s worth and whatever the phone turned this voice into well enjoy it. Hey there’s a deer. I wonder where I put my shoes. Oh sorry. Until you have real statistics you can’t say that cycling is growing in numbers. The only actual evidence we have right now is that bike shops are closing left and right which supports the idea that cycling is actually not increasing in numbers. Any statistic needs to be looked at from the perspective of how is it being measured. For instants how many people died in 1800 of cervical cancer? Probably none because they didn’t know how to measure for it. I know this is an extreme example but but as we dive more and more into the statistics we have to make sure that we are measuring apples to apples. The bike shop is closing do not support the idea that cycling is going in numbers. We don’t have enough of a Strava baseline to say either way. In 10 years from now you can probably get a better idea from something like Strava but right now I don’t think you have the data. And I’m not sure that bike sales is representative because we don’t know who is reporting what numbers now versus who was reporting what numbers then. So in the end Who can really say what is true and what is a blurry a statistic. Remember the expression about lies lies and statistics or is it lies lies damn lies statistics and corn beef hash? OK I probably should go ride my bike now. I will be reporting back in the chimney rock conditions to read later. And Iggy I will see you in Chester later. Wear your best outfit.

onetracker

I don't disagree necessarily but then I look at Fair Hill which has been the same race for 12 years and they get 500 racers. So I am not sure how to square those 2 things. I also understand that for every point there is a counterpoint in this argument. I'm not trying to counter you for the sake of doing it. I just don't know why some "ok" events draw massive numbers and great events do well then suck. I'm sure the answer is more complex than any single thing.

Unless the answer is "gerbils," in which case I guess I agree.

Agreed. Hard to pinpoint to a single answer. Fair Hill IMO is an outlier due to location; it is so central drawing from Philly, MD, NJ, VA, DC that there is a huge population of racers new & old. However, I think Fair Hill also has a festival vibe which has always made it an attractive race to put on the calendar. The right answer is probably an aggregation of most of the comments in this thread. I guess what I was saying above is newness and reinvention never hurts.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
You have obviously never ridden in the front group of a gravel grinder.
The key word was “more”. I fully plan on doing the croatan buckfifty next year. But in reality a few go off the front and race and others chase koms or just enjoy the ride. HoH, MKF, GGC all the same. Even Marty’s Fat 50 got soft.

Joe J

The key word was “more”. I fully plan on doing the croatan buckfifty next year. But in reality a few go off the front and race and others chase koms or just enjoy the ride. HoH, MKF, GGC all the same. Even Marty’s Fat 50 got soft.

Aren't those rides? I'm talking races Dirty Bikes Gravel Series, Overland, Iron Cx, Monster Cx.

Top Bottom