Rothrock TrailMix - Canceled

For me personally I’d rather race 50 people and always be battling than race 3 people where u go i to no man’s land 5 min into a race. Even at a 50 miler like Stoopid you were always racing someone. It’s not racing if you are riding alone.

Fair Hill pre-reg was down ~20%
Stewart pre-reg was down ~23%
Mooch pre-reg was down ~17%

I don't disagree with your statement but I think the entire sport is losing reg numbers. Even though Mooch had the lowest percentage drop, of those 3 it would obviously be the first to go away.

I don't think any race in the region has actually gone up.
Agreed, I dont think were seeing an increase anywhere...

From my experience with our "Brand new" Stewart race last year....There were a number of people who came out who I never see at mtb races (Van dessels whole crew for example) and they didnt come back the following year...which I totally get.

you should look at the races on an individual basis tho...I mean mooch this year was competing with fairhill, nica oh and it was 36deg and raining.....Same with ringwood. Mooch also hasnt changed much in 4 years and once people have "done it"....unless its something totally unique and the course is easy/fun(SSAP, S45, Fairhill) there is always going to be drop off.

Mohican. 451 registered so far.
thats a national race tho in the NUE series, and at $120-$180 plus selling shirts and food...They are bringing in like EXPONENTIALLY more money then any local race....This allows you do do alot more than what we can do at an H2h race for example. Like perhaps rent out a huge campground, hire people to help, etc. NUE races will always have bucket list people...id include myself as I would love to do one, but ill never have that kind of free time.

may be over simplifying but just look at the reg numbers for h2h and MASS races.
I said this exact thing and got criticized for it...but...
I recall you saying MASS is a better product, that's why they get bigger numbers.

Let me over simplify too.
The biggest numbers these days are coming from Events, not Races. You can race HOH or ride it, no one cares, you can race Rasputitsa(@seanrunnette can you provide a vocal link on how to say this word), or ride it.

I gather that there is enough stress/challenge for people just to show up and ride, they don't feel the need to go apeshit on a bike like a Cat 1 rider.

The biggest numbers these days are coming from Events, not Races.

This is what I have been suggesting and why I wanted to change the Stewart setup. Hopefully this will encourage more participation in our events.

you should look at the races on an individual basis tho

The thing is, between April 1 and December 1 you can do the same thing anywhere. Pick any weekend, and there are 2-7 events within a 200 mile radius. I know we have this conversation all the time. And we can talk until we are all blue in the face. But we changed Stewart and it seemed to be better. Next year we'll change all our formats. If people stop coming, then we bag the product. I mean, it is what it is. If the format is dying then we move on to something else.

This is what I have been suggesting and why I wanted to change the Stewart setup. Hopefully this will encourage more participation in our events.

The thing is, between April 1 and December 1 you can do the same thing anywhere. Pick any weekend, and there are 2-7 events within a 200 mile radius. I know we have this conversation all the time. And we can talk until we are all blue in the face. But we changed Stewart and it seemed to be better. Next year we'll change all our formats. If people stop coming, then we bag the product. I mean, it is what it is. If the format is dying then we move on to something else.
Hmmm. Not much local this weekend? I wanted to race but it’s kinda dead.

I'd have to agree with @pooriggy and @Norm as well. I think the event atmosphere is where it's at. I feel like my days of "racing" like really racing and training to win are over (maybe except Enduro in Masters - I have a shot there). I gave up on XC years ago. To be competitive takes too much training and dieting and bike tweaking.

Think about SSaP. It was as much of an event as it was a race. At my best, I wasn't a single speed racer. Thoughts of a top ten were my best hope. But I would show up just because it was always a great vibe and after party. Fast forward. Yes, I'm one of those people that registered for Keystone. Look at the list of other people that registered. Some of the best riders from NNJ that haven't raced in years; Tim Dougherty, Dave Lyons, Ed Emery, @gingertooth. The promoters have a whole weekend planned around this. My biggest task will likely be making sure @JimN and @Magic don't drink too much at the beer tent on Saturday night. Looks like good times on a bike with some new territory and a ton of old friends.

PA Gravel race
I kind of wish this is what it was at this point. In reality, it seems to be a choose-your-own-adventure on unrideable hiking trails for 55 miles. I'll confirm accuracy of this on Monday.

NY state race up near Brandt Lake

That's not really a race. This event is free from what I know and is just to promote MTB at Brandt Lake Bike Park (I'm listed as a founder LOL), Gurney Lane, Garnet Hill Lodge and Gore Mtn. I have actually ridden to all them from my place up there. It's kinda like a poker run format. If I wasn't doing Keystone I would be there. OH and BEER.

How about the BlackFly challenge
https://www.bikereg.com/Confirmed/41029
615 registered!!!! Holy F^&( that's more than the winter population of Indian Lake. oh and over $30k in entry fees so far
Wow. Also, the 50-59 age group seems to have the most cyclists across pretty much every single category.
snipbike.PNG

Young folks need to get off their phones.

Back
Top Bottom