Rothrock TrailMix - Canceled

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Aren't those rides? I'm talking races Dirty Bikes Gravel Series, Overland, Iron Cx, Monster Cx.
Yes but aren’t the “rides/events growing and races dying? People aremigrating it seems towards gravel events and not races. Pure speculation on my part as @Norm points out.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Gravel events blur the line between the two, race and event. The front of a gravel race versus the weekend warrior. Both have their own goals, enjoyment and “fun” factor.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
this is interesting - looking at the portfolio, rather than single discipline.
When is @Ryan.P organizing the mtbnj dh or enduro ?
@MagiCx ! has a nice ring to it.
Sounds like a logistic nightmare
17e36c0a30244a99087d86b8e8f129f650611584087611392366cdfafcbdcff6.jpg

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
It's easier at these races/events for people to both seriously race AND take it as a challenge.

Went down to Monster CX this year. Front was definitely treating it like a race, myself treating it like a race but also trying to survive due to not knowing how to pace for a race like that. Tons of people out just to see if they could finish.

Not much different than something like perhaps Iron Furnace but it's more accessible to newer riders. Iron Furnace is still a Wawaywanda race and you're going to count out a ton of new riders.

Mix in the fact that these big races/events make it easy for groups to camp out the night before or in neat towns so it makes the travel easier for people from longer distances. Then these races are events with music, food, etc that it's fun to hang out while your friends/teammates finish.

Racing at Mayhem or Stewart for a Central NJ person will kill an entire day just for a race. These big events will kill a day but will either be an all day or all weekend event.

Most H2H races you don't see the race itself, you are only seeing a small # of people at the start/finish line hanging out as the race start times are mixed all throughout the day. Cross races at least tend to have a central area and people are there for a long time hanging out due to spectators and party atmosphere for bands/food/etc.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
$0.02 - might be unrelated, but whatever.

I am working the Jerseyman Triathlon out of round valley this weekend.
it sold out at 450 participants - about 16 classes. 2 different distances, M&F and elite/3 diff AG.
they expect 10% no-show, and because the weather is good, they will oversell with day-of.
probably close to 500. The cap is the amount of parking in the RVR area lots.
the masters age groups are faster than the under 39.......

-------

How to make mtb racing more approachable?
NICA is going to take a few years to filter-up.

How to get the casual groups to show up and do a cat 3 race, and have fun
with their "crew" and then move up (or not) -

i think one idea is races at nj mtb festival.....
make races more festival-ish

not easy - got a feeling it is a marketing problem.

update - the 3 age groups were for the swim start - they did 5 year AG awards.
Also had a swim-run, because the bike is an arms race, as opposed to a test of the athlete.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
A cross between Cranks around the Campfire and Lucky's Revenge would be so sick. Sorta like the old 24 hour days. The vibe was so much fun.

These days you get yelled at for throwing Cheetos at a Cross race or heckling at a rock during an H2H race. Zero fun.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A cross between Cranks around the Campfire and Lucky's Revenge would be so sick. Sorta like the old 24 hour days. The vibe was so much fun.

These days you get yelled at for throwing Cheetos at a Cross race or heckling at a rock during an H2H race. Zero fun.

I explored the idea of doing a different/fun race at Cranks and was told: ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe in 2012

Hippo, Town Hall, Bubble, Lucky are 3 local races that off the top of my head had a good party atmosphere with people hanging out all day.

Town Hall routinely has the exact same course every year but with it being early in the season (good weather) the band playing, taco truck, great parking lot for parking/hanging out, it's always got a ton of people.

Reg #s could be down for all I know, but I don't think the PACX series is hurting from the races I've attended.

Top Bottom