Rothrock TrailMix - Canceled

Dominique

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Happy Valley Biking
12 hrs

We regret to inform everyone that due to low pre-registration, the Rothrock TrailMix, scheduled for June 8, 2019, has been cancelled. After reviewing the number of pre-registered riders, we've determined that it would not be fair to our volunteers, our EMS support personnel, and our vendors to continue to plan for the event with such low numbers.

If you did pre-register, your registration fee and any monies towards merchandise or donations will be refunded

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I was reading comments on facebook about this, it was still 3 weeks out? and part of a series? bummer.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is a shame, and we are seeing numbers across the region dwindle in all disciplines.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel like people don't want to ride technically challenging races. They want flowy fast singletrack.
I may be over simplifying but just look at the reg numbers for h2h and MASS races. The ones with no tech have much higher participation.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel like people don't want to ride technically challenging races. They want flowy fast singletrack.
I may be over simplifying but just look at the reg numbers for h2h and MASS races. The ones with no tech have much higher participation.
Maybe people just want cross all year long.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Fair Hill pre-reg was down ~20%
Stewart pre-reg was down ~23%
Mooch pre-reg was down ~17%

I don't disagree with your statement but I think the entire sport is losing reg numbers. Even though Mooch had the lowest percentage drop, of those 3 it would obviously be the first to go away.

I don't think any race in the region has actually gone up.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
How have the HoH and fondo numbers been? I know wildly popular but are they dropping too? Or is it just races?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Did we just have a discussion last year that raving number have been increasing? Maybe it was just for MASS?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's

I don't disagree with your statement but I think the entire sport is losing reg numbers. Even though Mooch had the lowest percentage drop, of those 3 it would obviously be the first to go away.

Yeah, a combination of the two. Plus you add road races, gravel rides, enduros, other group rides....

I don't know if less people are riding bikes (maybe they are, I really don't know) but less people are paying to race. Your data proves it.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Happy Valley Biking
12 hrs

We regret to inform everyone that due to low pre-registration, the Rothrock TrailMix, scheduled for June 8, 2019, has been cancelled. After reviewing the number of pre-registered riders, we've determined that it would not be fair to our volunteers, our EMS support personnel, and our vendors to continue to plan for the event with such low numbers.

If you did pre-register, your registration fee and any monies towards merchandise or donations will be refunded
Cyclecross killed the mountain bike star.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I said this exact thing and got criticized for it...but...

qclabrat

Was weather a factor in the declines? May you need to host an event on the moon where it doesn't rain....

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do

The big dogs go to Mohican. 451 registered so far. Keystone sold out at 300 months ago. Maybe cx is alive, maybe the shorter distance xc is killing attendance. Iron Furnace lokked like it had a good turnout. One big problem for promoters is the manufacturers flooded the market with way too many disciplines and different types of bikes.

JDurk

Mooch and Fair Hill both had to compete with a holiday week(end) and NICA, but there was also LLWH that weekend with 527 riders and volunteers. I have to wonder if the increase in registration fees had anything to do with it, along with more cycling options, and people just being busier in general.

Is the Rothrock endurance still on? The MASS site only has enduro cancelled.

Enduro was cancelled awhile ago, Endurance is now cancelled. Website not updated, Bikereg is closed.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Mooch and Fair Hill both had to compete with a holiday week(end) and NICA, but there was also LLWH that weekend with 527 riders and volunteers. I have to wonder if the increase in registration fees had anything to do with it, along with more cycling options, and people just being busier in general.

Enduro was cancelled awhile ago, Endurance is now cancelled. Website not updated, Bikereg is closed.
Maybe more people just like all these tempo paced gravel rides now and not laying it out on the line? Rule#5

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
So it seems that people are swaying more towards events rather than serious business racing with too many classes? Maybe it's the beer you get at the end. Combining start times and striving towards combined podium party times is a step in the right direction.

Also curious how many parents NICA affected that used to race. Same day conflicts are obvious, but even on a Sat/Sun weekend, it now creates an entire weekend of traveling around the state which may force one to choose instead of commit to both.

Top Bottom