RockShox Monarch XX Stuck Down

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The rear shock on my 2017 Cannondale Scalpel SI (RockShox Monarch XX) is has stopped fully extending. I let all the air out, then pumped it back up to 107 psi, and still looks to only extend 1/2 way. Any thoughts on this? Bad seal? I've heard others having similar issues with the monarch (@UtahJoe ). The bike is obviously only a year old, so I'm taking it back to the LBS for service. Thinking this is going to be a recurring problem. Any suggestions for a replacement? Fox? Thanks all.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you have a strap wrench with the shock still mounted....Unscrew the air can and release the pressure inside...Then screw it back together, re inflate the shock...this fixed mine. But C'dale replaced it under warranty anyway.

I was not a huge fan of the monarch....I dislike the dual lockout set up as I find there is almost never a case where I want my front and rear locked out. So I put single lockout on the lefty and switched the rear shock to a fox float.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If you have a strap wrench with the shock still mounted....Unscrew the air can and release the pressure inside...Then screw it back together, re inflate the shock...this fixed mine. But C'dale replaced it under warranty anyway.

I was not a huge fan of the monarch....I dislike the dual lockout set up as I find there is almost never a case where I want my front and rear locked out. So I put single lockout on the lefty and switched the rear shock to a fox float.
I knew you were the guy to ask, thanks. When you unscrewed the air can, did you leave the damper end of the shock mounted?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Weird. This same thing happened to my fox shock. Just dropped it off at the UPS store to go to fox.

It happened 1 minute into a 7 degree ride.

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Weird. This same thing happened to my fox shock. Just dropped it off at the UPS store to go to fox.

It happened 1 minute into a 7 degree ride.
7 degrees huh? Yeah, happened to me yesterday, 10 deg, I figured the cold might of had something to do with it.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Metal shrinking while silicone wipers not causing seal failure? Pretty extreme “what if” but what else is there.....

mbruno

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Metal shrinking while silicone wipers not causing seal failure? Pretty extreme “what if” but what else is there.....
Or just the internal seals getting brittle in the cold and failing. I'll see what c'dale will do for me.

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Probably just the positive and negative air chambers not equalizing. Air can service is easy with right tools and should be done multiple times a year

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
anigif_enhanced-28958-1426774140-13.gif

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
In before someone says "should have bought a rigid singlespeed".

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This is a 2 minute fix. Replace the air can seals and lube when re-installing. The air flips to the other side of the can when it dries out and/or seals shrink from cold. A layer of slick honey will prevent it from happening all together.

Top Bottom