Rock Shox Monarch RT Stuck Down

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Take apart the air can and clean and lubes everything and it should bring it back to life temporarily. Not sure of the air can you have if its debonair but plenty YouTube videos on how to get it apart without any special tools

cbiker

Be careful if you dissasemble a stuck down shock the air can will fly off when dissassembled. Can put a towel through the eyelet to prevent it from flying and getting damaged or hitting you.

Last edited:

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
So pissed. I went to ride Nassau after work last night, and after about 20 feet I had about 4 pedal strikes. I'm like WTF, look down and notice that the shock is down. Figured it somehow lost pressure, so back to the truck and it still had almost full pressure. A quick search online and it seems the seals failed and bled pressure over to the negative side. Looks like I need new seals and some Slick honey (per an @jimvreeland post a while back). Seems like this is a crap design, I had the same Fox RP23 on my HiFi for more than 6 years and did nothing to it other than check the pressure once every year (or two?). I know @jdog said to drop a DPX2 on it, but I thought that replacing an almost new shock was crazy. Now...:shrug:

End Rant.

Every air shock on the planet uses the same seal design. I've seen them all get stuck down. It's your bike's way of reminding you to lube your seals more often. I do my own bikes every 3 months. It's a 15 minute job and the seals are like $20. It's the part of a mountain bike that sees the most abuse and usually gets the least amount of attention.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Every air shock on the planet uses the same seal design. I've seen them all get stuck down. It's your bike's way of reminding you to lube your seals more often. I do my own bikes every 3 months. It's a 15 minute job and the seals are like $20. It's the part of a mountain bike that sees the most abuse and usually gets the least amount of attention.

Does something like this prolong the need to service?

69651DB1-1198-47F7-A4F9-8B4DC809FE50.jpeg

Top Bottom