Roadie Tips To Stay Alive...

Update: FL state police determined the cyclists were at fault for improper lane change, no charges against the motorist. Wonder how ugly this will get with the lawyers - will the other cyclists try to sue the leader?

So we just got a new car and it has lane assist. I noticed that when passing cyclists, the car wants to move you back to the center of the lane because it doesn’t “see” cyclists when I go to give riders space. Wondering if anyone has noticed this if they have a newer car, and I also wonder if anyone who rides when cars are actually out on the road if they have noticed being buzzed by cars more.

i see a pedestrian warning on the HUD about 25% of the time. which isn't close to enough.

Update: FL state police determined the cyclists were at fault for improper lane change, no charges against the motorist. Wonder how ugly this will get with the lawyers - will the other cyclists try to sue the leader?

there are a few people i won't ride with on the road - and this is exactly why. they stick their hand out, and assume the cars will yield because they have the right to be out there.

i'm sharing the lane, until a driver lets me own the lane.

as an aside, riding the road in florida is some scary shit. it was easier to ride the streets in boston than in clearwater.

I believe more needs to be done in the way of a public ad campaign. Until drivers are educated and explicitly cautioned as to giving cyclists space on the road, more tragedies will happen based on the attitude drivers have toward cyclists.

Such was the case regarding passing school buses years ago. Until education, safety features and laws were put in place, no on thought twice about blowing by a school bus at 50mph. Sadly it took a lot of tragedies before people began driving safely around school buses.

as an aside, riding the road in florida is some scary shit. it was easier to ride the streets in boston than in clearwater.

Eh like anywhere else it depends where you live. I've put in 7000+ miles since we've been here and only had one close call in Englewood on a busy street. Lots of cycling friendly roads around here.

i was alittle confused on why they were changes lanes where they were, however the pictures give a very limited range of view.

There is a lot of subjectivity in what a proper lane change is and proper signaling to do so. The hand signals are for actual turning and lane changing may or may not be addressed in many states for cyclist. Like any movement on the road, it is a combination of awareness of your surroundings, deliberate movements, alerting other road users of your intentions (signaling) and confidence to take the lane. In situations where i feel i need to signal to go into a lane, I just point where I am going.

This is the only thing I could find in PA's bike laws:
“Every person riding a bicycle upon a roadway shall be granted all of the rights and shall be subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this title, except as to special provisions…” This includes the requirement to signal turns by hand, including stopping. (3335-3336).
Source: 75 Pa. Cons. Stat. §§3501 (2016)

I found no reference in NJ's bike laws regarding signaling, other than:
"In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws."

Regardless, always sad to see these.

I believe more needs to be done in the way of a public ad campaign. Until drivers are educated and explicitly cautioned as to giving cyclists space on the road, more tragedies will happen based on the attitude drivers have toward cyclists.

Such was the case regarding passing school buses years ago. Until education, safety features and laws were put in place, no on thought twice about blowing by a school bus at 50mph. Sadly it took a lot of tragedies before people began driving safely around school buses.
We still have people pass my son’s bus while it’s stopped at our house with the stop sign out and the flashers on.
778A22AE-37EA-4ABC-8721-DF38C7F288A3.jpeg

Lane Assisst.....
I turned mine off. It’s not good enough yet.

Florida..... Article said the driver was 90 and blind in one eye? How the fuck are you allowed to drive a motor vehicle with no depth perception?

*Edit* I just reread the article, makes no mention of drivers age or sight. Maybe that was from something else. 87.4% chance it’s true though.... cause Florida.

Last edited:
i was alittle confused on why they were changes lanes where they were, however the pictures give a very limited range of view.

It's a 2 lane road with a bike sharing lane on the right. They moved from the right lane to the left in preparation for a left turn at an approaching intersection when they got hit. At least all were wearing helmets.

Florida..... Article said the driver was 90 and blind in one eye? How the fuck are you allowed to drive a motor vehicle with no depth perception?

*Edit* I just reread the article, makes no mention of drivers age or sight. Maybe that was from something else. 87.4% chance it’s true though.... cause Florida.

Driver was 91, blind in one eye not confirmed. Like most states, no special driving laws here for geezers except 80 and older, license renewal is 6 yrs instead of 8. Vision test required for renewal. NJ renewal for all is 4 years.

the legal "right" doesn't mean shit, - as per Kev's post: Situational awareness.

Rick's radar is probably set to high after being hit. You know where the conflicts are, and actively monitor.
esp the right hand turn after hurrying to pass, or the classic "see you and pull out anyway"
--
i like the people that won't cross a double yellow for a cyclist (or pedestrian now that i..), but will go around a garbage truck on a blind curve.

I only live 8 miles from work and have tried commuting by bike a bunch of times. The way there isn't bad because I leave way earlier than most people, but I always feel like I'm gonna die on the way home. I swear there's a contest to see who can come closest without actually hitting me.

Eventually, we will have a sensor/sensors on our bike or clothing to let these cars know we are there.

some systems will see pedestrians however i would like to think that this type of technology (rider wears beacon or bike is designed with beacon) is already in the works yet it lacks funding. i wonder if someone has presented this type of technology to peopleforbikes.

I only live 8 miles from work and have tried commuting by bike a bunch of times. The way there isn't bad because I leave way earlier than most people, but I always feel like I'm gonna die on the way home. I swear there's a contest to see who can come closest without actually hitting me.

agreed, i do however take roads that have a considerable shoulder. i cut through neighborhoods whenever possible

some systems will see pedestrians however i would like to think that this type of technology (rider wears beacon or bike is designed with beacon) is already in the works yet it lacks funding. i wonder if someone has presented this type of technology to peopleforbikes.
One would think, the ultimate with autonomous tech is the unit knows exactly where it is spatially and it knows exactly where known points and other vehicles are. There are already tons of sensors at intersections in cities to help identify know points and everytime one of the vehicles goes through there points, it strengthens it knowledge or adjusts points. As more cars become equipped, it further strengths the vehicle knowing where other cars are. So when was the last time you heard of this on a bike? It isnt a big deal, would probably just be a sticker or a small "tracking" device. Hell, your phone is probably transmitting something right now. One reason not to turn all that shit off.

It is also because people dont care if they are late to work (or care less) because you are only eating into company time. On the way home, you are eating into their time....

One would think, the ultimate with autonomous tech is the unit knows exactly where it is spatially and it knows exactly where known points and other vehicles are. There are already tons of sensors at intersections in cities to help identify know points and everytime one of the vehicles goes through there points, it strengthens it knowledge or adjusts points. As more cars become equipped, it further strengths the vehicle knowing where other cars are. So when was the last time you heard of this on a bike? It isnt a big deal, would probably just be a sticker or a small "tracking" device. Hell, your phone is probably transmitting something right now. One reason not to turn all that shit off.

It is also because people dont care if they are late to work (or care less) because you are only eating into company time. On the way home, you are eating into their time....
all you need for a phone to receive radio frequency is an antenna, and in many cases, headphones plugged into the phone is all you need for that. if an app were to receive a frequency then turn it into a signal the LDW systems sees then it should be pretty simple.

edit- gps would be more efficient but you get the gist of it, whatever It, is.
edit.2- if Dominos can create a self driving delivery car, then i think this technology would be a simple feat.

Rode thru the intersection this morning - orange paint marks where the bikes landed and a very large blood stain visible.

Ironically, right before the intersection, I almost hit some geezer on a bike who cut across the opposite lanes and flew right in front of me!

all you need for a phone to receive radio frequency is an antenna, and in many cases, headphones plugged into the phone is all you need for that. if an app were to receive a frequency then turn it into a signal the LDW systems sees then it should be pretty simple.

edit- gps would be more efficient but you get the gist of it, whatever It, is.
edit.2- if Dominos can create a self driving delivery car, then i think this technology would be a simple feat.
All modern phones has a GPS receiver, it is basically the same thing as Google pinging your device to get real time traffic information. If location services is on, they are hitting it (and someone is hitting it even if it isnt on).

Back
Top Bottom