roadie brand new to mountain biking.

Jeffreywoliver

Seems like the most appropriate thread ...

Not exactly brand new to mountain biking, but I'm thinking about focusing on MTB in 2018 for a change of pace (and tired of largely racing solo on the road). I currently ride a 2004 Stumpjumper 26in hardtail - when I ride MTB at all, which is seldom.

So I'm probably going to buy a new bike. Questions:

27.5 or 29er?
Dual suspension really a necessity?
Bike recommendations under $2,500

Blair

27.5 or 29er?
Either wheel size will work, dual is not a necessity and you can easily find a used carbon or ti HT under 2500. The brands are the same mainstream as road bikes so, your preference.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Not exactly brand new to mountain biking, but I'm thinking about focusing on MTB in 2018 for a change of pace (and tired of largely racing solo on the road). I currently ride a 2004 Stumpjumper 26in hardtail - when I ride MTB at all, which is seldom.

27.5 or 29er?

aluminum tallboy in 27.5+ brand new, at your price point.

FUN!

(i'm bias, cause i'm having fun on my tallboy. i really like the wheel size, it makes up for my lack of ability.)

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Jeffreywoliver

DEMO DEMO DEMO

everyone told me I'd miss my 29er wheels and that 27.5+ was the way to go... but I fell in love with my 5010. And I'm having A TON OF FRIGGIN FUN with her.

qclabrat

27.5 or 29er?

where do you ride and what type of rider are you? (meaning do you like to hammer every ride or prefer lumbering around like me)

I personally think the most gracious offerings by the manufacturers in the past few years has been the formal option of bikes which can handle both 29 and 27.5+ wheels. The 27.5+ are usually a tad smaller than the 29 and you may even be able to user 27.5 x 2.6 tires for an even smaller diameter. However, there may be some the slight frame geo changes you could notice, due to stuff like the BB height and fork rake. Jumping from 26 to 29 may or may not work for everyone, only you can be the judge by doing some demos. Though having a bike with wheel size options allows you to dial in the right setup and have you smiling after each ride. Good luck with your search.

Jeffreywoliver

I live in High Bridge, so Nassau is my home course. I know it well. Hate Round Valley and other than a few short track courses and LewMo I've not ridden anywhere else in NJ/NY/PA.

I'm primarily a roadie, so I like to go fast - I like some technical stuff, but don't particularly like the gnarl and log crossing piss me off, LOL. I like to ride without having to stop and dismount a lot so I don't like to blast - stop and wait - repeat. I prefer the steady 2 hour ride that is typical for the road. I'm a serviceable cat 3 on the road.

That said, I'm thinking about focusing on MTB for 2018 and see what happens. I have a lot to work on as far as mountain biking goes, but at courses like LewMo - where I've raced the sport class a few times - I pass a lot of folks on the flats and climbs and everyone yells at me to get out of the way on the descents. Haha, the same folks who held me up on the climbs. Fuck 'em.

I've ridden a 29er once and didn't particularly like it and am leaning towards a 27.5. Not sure about dual suspension. Have ridden dual suspension in the distant past (GT RTS2) and liked it, but not really excited about extra maintenance costs.

qclabrat

I live in High Bridge, so Nassau is my home course. I know it well. Hate Round Valley and other than a few short track courses and LewMo I've not ridden anywhere else in NJ/NY/PA.

I'm primarily a roadie, so I like to go fast - I like some technical stuff, but don't particularly like the gnarl and log crossing piss me off, LOL. I like to ride without having to stop and dismount a lot so I don't like to blast - stop and wait - repeat. I prefer the steady 2 hour ride that is typical for the road. I'm a serviceable cat 3 on the road.

That said, I'm thinking about focusing on MTB for 2018 and see what happens. I have a lot to work on as far as mountain biking goes, but at courses like LewMo - where I've raced the sport class a few times - I pass a lot of folks on the flats and climbs and everyone yells at me to get out of the way on the descents. Haha, the same folks who held me up on the climbs. Fuck 'em.

I've ridden a 29er once and didn't particularly like it and am leaning towards a 27.5. Not sure about dual suspension. Have ridden dual suspension in the distant past (GT RTS2) and liked it, but not really excited about extra maintenance costs.

You'll find a full squish bike will clean up the chatter you don't seem to like. Also most new bikes will help you go down faster than the old 26r which probably has inferior brakes and narrower tires (Fact :rolleyes:, ask the guy here who recently went to Mountain Creek with is old 26r and ended up breaking both wrists). The aluminum Tallboy mentioned about is a good option for a test ride. You'll instantly have more confidence bombing the downhills. As for walking log overs, practice. I was a late convert to 29rs and didn't like how tall I sat on the bike, so I got a 27.5 this year but for most low tech rides I prefer the 29r.

Patrick

Staff member
Yes - try the new bikes! and a skills clinic will get you hopping onto and over stuff like a boss.
the tech can take you deep into that workout pain - it is just different.

you hurt my feelings about round valley ;)
upload_2017-9-13_13-42-42.png

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Go to the NJ MTB Festival on Oct 1st. There will be demos there...
link HERE to the thread

Be sure to check out the JORBA tent too...

Patrick

Staff member
i heard Jeff races cx.....if we are starting rumors. ;)

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Just reading through your post and roadie past I think a carbon hardtail 29er would fit the bill for what your intentions are. Almost all races have log overs so get that shit down where your only scrubbing speed. Deer Park and Stephen's have lots of speed for training also just enough tech that's not a far travel to you.

Gnick

27.5 or 29er?
love my 27.5+ HT

Top Bottom