roadie brand new to mountain biking.

jliebs

hey guys, great forum. I started road biking two years ago and love it but wanted to give the mountain a try now. I live 5 min from Chimney Rock but have no idea how or where to get started. I could use some advice.
I figured I would demo a couple bikes and at the same time see how I like the mountain bike experience.
So any help is appreciated. Thanks

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Welcome.
Never been to CR but from what I hear, it might not be the best place to sink your teeth into. You might want to start at 6MR.

rlb

If you have some decent bike fitness you should be able to manage at CR, but you'll get introduced to the rocks real quick. Watch for the Monday evening rides. If you just want to get some dirt under your wheels first, check out Six Mile as suggested. There's a trail map in the wiki here, or grab the maprika app if you want to see it on your phone. Also the mtbnj Six Mile group ride is approaching, that will be a good way to check it out with 1500 other people.

jliebs

If you have some decent bike fitness you should be able to manage at CR, but you'll get introduced to the rocks real quick. Watch for the Monday evening rides. If you just want to get some dirt under your wheels first, check out Six Mile as suggested. There's a trail map in the wiki here, or grab the maprika app if you want to see it on your phone. Also the mtbnj Six Mile group ride is approaching, that will be a good way to check it out with 1500 other people.

thanks guys. Where is 6mile? also any recommendations on a first bike? I am 6' 1" 220 lbs

rlb

thanks guys. Where is 6mile? also any recommendations on a first bike? I am 6' 1" 220 lbs

In Somerset, not too far off if you live near CR.
http://www.mtbnj.com/wiki/Category:Trail_Directory

The bike question is a loaded one, mostly dependent on your budget. There's 29ers, fat bikes, FS 27+bikes....best to just head to a shop and see what's what. Halters, Hilltop, or High Gear would be your best bets in our area, unfortunately there's not a good shop any closer.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
First, the bike....
Find a local shop (not REI, not Dicks, etc) and talk/demo whatever they have. Then find another shop, and do the same. or... Buy this if it fits (@jShort )

Then... ride as much as you can and have fun!

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Welcome!

If you want to attempt to enjoy mountain biking, take everyone's recommendation to try Six Mile. Chimney Rock is not very beginner friendly, but you can quickly work your way up to it!

jliebs

In Somerset, not too far off if you live near CR.
http://www.mtbnj.com/wiki/Category:Trail_Directory

The bike question is a loaded one, mostly dependent on your budget. There's 29ers, fat bikes, FS 27+bikes....best to just head to a shop and see what's what. Halters, Hilltop, or High Gear would be your best bets in our area, unfortunately there's not a good shop any closer.
actually I am a big fan of v5 cycles in Flemington.

Reactions: rlb

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hey guys, great forum. I started road biking two years ago and love it but wanted to give the mountain a try now. I live 5 min from Chimney Rock but have no idea how or where to get started. I could use some advice.
I figured I would demo a couple bikes and at the same time see how I like the mountain bike experience.
So any help is appreciated. Thanks

Where do you live? I can meet you there one day and we can take it easy. I am in Warren about 4-5 miles away from CR.

jliebs

Where do you live? I can meet you there one day and we can take it easy. I am in Warren about 4-5 miles away from CR.
I am in Martinsville. But first I have to get my hands on a bike. LOL . Thanks I will follow up with you when that happens. I do have an OLD cannondale
mountain bike with no suspension. would that work for 6 mile?

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I am in Martinsville. But first I have to get my hands on a bike. LOL . Thanks I will follow up with you when that happens. I do have an OLD cannondale

Yes but in the same way that you can cook anything with a cast iron pan. Yes it's doable but why do it when you don't have to?

I just found you on Strava so I'll be watching. No more of this Matt Wilpers stuff. I want to see you on the trails!

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
yes... I prefer my CX bike there, so you should be 98.8763327845834553% fine on a rigid old school mtb.

jliebs

Yes but in the same way that you can cook anything with a cast iron pan. Yes it's doable but why do it when you don't have to?

I just found you on Strava so I'll be watching. No more of this Matt Wilpers stuff. I want to see you on the trails!

hey Matt Wilpers is the man!. Those are my peloton cycle miles. It got me in shape to road ride, and now starting to check out trails .
I ride the peloton mostly during the week as I only get out once or twice a week to ride. Never had anyone find me on Strava haha. Feels kinda good.

qclabrat

Hi there, I'm local also
buy Jeremy's Scalpel for $1300 then sell it for more than you paid next year
I think he's about your size...

you can to endless loops of the White trail at Chimney Rock to find out what mountain biking is about.

jliebs

Hi there, I'm local also
buy Jeremy's Scalpel for $1300 then sell it for more than you paid next year
I think he's about your size...

you can to endless loops of the White trail at Chimney Rock to find out what mountain biking is about.

I don't doubt it but that bike looks like a lot more than I need or am ready for.
Seriously , white trail?

qclabrat

AKA Middlebrook trail, not the one by the lake, but up top there's some decent trails
should be fine with your full rigid

Red okay too, just walk your bike over the rock outcroppings at the beginning from Newmans

jliebs

AKA Middlebrook trail, not the one by the lake, but up top there's some decent trails
should be fine with your full rigid

Red okay too, just walk your bike over the rock outcroppings at the beginning from Newmans

so white trail or 6mile?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Norm will bring ice cream. Highly recommend his offer.

Top Bottom