Roadbike groupset newbie question

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Can someone tell me if the indexing in a Shimano road shifter is the same as a mountain bike shifter of the same number of speeds? Meaning if I have a 10-speed shifter on a road bike, can it shift a 10-speed mountain bike rear derailleur? Just curious.

Last edited:

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
6 through 10 speed Shimano Road & MTB are compatible. 11 speed are not
So what you're saying is the Tiagra 10-speed shifter on my gravel grinder will work with an XT 10-speed derailleur? Not that I'm going to do it but if and when I need to replace the existing Tiagra rear derailleur I can possibly use a 10-speed XT derailleur in my parts bin? Cool.

Dean S

So what you're saying is the Tiagra 10-speed shifter on my gravel grinder will work with an XT 10-speed derailleur? Not that I'm going to do it but if and when I need to replace the existing Tiagra rear derailleur I can possibly use a 10-speed XT derailleur in my parts bin? Cool.
That should work just fine. Actually any 8, 9 or 10 shimano derailleur should work.

grilledcheeseking

Can confirm, old stuff just works. For instance, have had 9 speed xtr shifters hooked up to a new Sora RD because I needed gears and these were a few of the things I had laying around.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
You guys 100% on the shimano road/mtb 10 speed working together? I could swear it does not due to different pull ratios.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I read the link @Delish posted, you can't mix Road&MTB 10 speed components (as I thought), but you can use Road 10 speed shifters with 9 speed MTB derailleurs?

If that's the case, I may be really excited about my new 10 speed touring options.

Dean S

Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong, but if I read the link @Delish posted, you can't mix Road&MTB 10 speed components (as I thought), but you can use Road 10 speed shifters with 9 speed MTB derailleurs?

If that's the case, I may be really excited about my new 10 speed touring options.

Whoops! You are right. Sorry for the bad info on my posts above.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's

It seems you CAN mix shimano road 10 shifters with shimano mtb 10 derailleur using the Wolftooth Tanpan. 11 speed too. Popular for folks who want to run 11-42 or 11-46 and clutch with STI shifters.

I have used similar-but-not-nearly-as-nice JTek adapter and it worked fine.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That gets thrown out the window when bike touring. Want something I can hopefully find at a generic bike shop if things go wrong.

grilledcheeseking

Friction then! Where ya touring?

Also, sorry my earlier comment was general and misleading. I forgot that the party ended with 9 speed, thought it extended to 10 as well.

Top Bottom