Road Tubeless Lessons Learned

If you’re looking for a bomb proof road tire, my 28mm gravel kings tubeless have been amazing. Ran them as low as 60psi with no issues. Even rode some singletrack with them

I've had my road bike about 2 months now and today I had my first puncture. I plugged the tire as the sealant wasn't able to fully seal the hole. I topped it off with CO2 and went on my way. Can I continue to ride this tire? Should I toss it and get a new one? If it matters the wheel and tire are both Mavic and intended to be tubeless.

I've had my road bike about 2 months now and today I had my first puncture. I plugged the tire as the sealant wasn't able to fully seal the hole. I topped it off with CO2 and went on my way. Can I continue to ride this tire? Should I toss it and get a new one? If it matters the wheel and tire are both Mavic and intended to be tubeless.
You should be able to patch the hole from the inside with a tubeless patch kit. Although I have no experience patching road tires and their higher pressures.

You should be fine if it’s sealed. I would let most of the air out and refill with a pump tho. For some reason CO2 does weird shit to tubeless/sealant.

Road tubeless is amaze-balls.

4,700 miles. First flat. Tire #3 DOA

MVIMG_20190710_124053.jpg

Just sayin'

4,700 miles. First flat. Tire #3 DOA

View attachment 99656

Just sayin'
I’m with you for sure. I haven’t had a single inner tube in my life for a decade.

I’m riding these 700x30c wtb tires on the new evo and I can’t say enough good about the ride. Riding them at 65 psi. This may not be the fastest possible setup, but it rolls so sweetly.

Attachments

• B04FBD54-D087-428D-B6A0-0CC90151A9E0.jpeg
    B04FBD54-D087-428D-B6A0-0CC90151A9E0.jpeg
    118.1 KB · Views: 198
You should be fine if it’s sealed. I would let most of the air out and refill with a pump tho. For some reason CO2 does weird shit to tubeless/sealant.

Thanks for the reassurance! I would ride a MTB tire with a plug in it until the tire wore out but I wasn't sure if road tires being thinner/lighter and running at higher pressures presented any other challenges.

I have patched my Pro 1s with a mini automotive patch. No problem. One thing I found thanks to a shop mechanic was that I was running too many psi. The pro 1s say 110-120 psi and they are tubeless so I went with that. Well Enve SES 3.4 max psi is like 83 with a 250 lb rider

For me, I’ve been meaning to buy a dynaplug kit. Thanks for the reminder

FWIW the Genuine Innovations plugs/kit are garbage. The plug I installed yesterday worked itself loose on my ride today. I tried to plug it again to no avail. The plugs stick to the tool, the container, everything but the tire. I now have a Dynaplug kit on the way.

So seems like there are some big tubeless fans here, I tried going tubeless at the end of may, got a tiny puncture in the front tire less then 2 weeks later, sealant wouldn't close it... then about 6 weeks later mysteriously there was a small cut on the sidewall, the sealant held for one ride, but not for the next, so needless to say I am am less then convinced.
Been rocking tubeless on the MTB for while now with 0 issues, but think I am going back to tubes on the roadie.

Back
Top Bottom