Road riders how do u justify it?

Dairyman

Recently I have been interested in getting a cross/road bike. However it seems like the likelihood of getting into an accident with a vehicle is high. Is the risk over exaggerated? What do you do to stay safe? What makes you accept the risk and ride?

olegbabich

I'm lucky that I have many country roads with little traffic near me.

You have to be careful and pay attention.

Accidents do happen. Last month I was in a collision with a cyclist while riding a Ducati Motorcycle.

Not my fault, the Cyclist got a ticket for failure to keep right.

Karate Monkey

Life is too short to worry about getting hit, imo. Like @olegbabich said, you have to keep your eyes peeled, and ride defensively, and you may still get hit (ask anybody who works at a bike shop, I'll bet you money at least one person there has been hit, if not more). You can seriously lower your chances of being hit by avoiding narrow, highly traffic-ed roads, having lights/reflectors, bright clothes, mirror, etc. You have to decide what is enough for you. I try my best to use off road options wherever possible.

That said, you may also take a low speed tumble off road, and wind up killing yourself...removing the threat of a motor vehicle does not mean you can't be seriously hurt.

BigDB67

I have given up on solo rides after 2 people were hit on my regular riding routes last year.

Although it still has its dangers, I find there is safety riding in numbers. It is way easier to spot a group of bikers that one.

Stay safe out there folks!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
^^^^that thread

And ride early. Like really early. On some rides I count on both hands the number of cars I see - and on one hand the number of cars I actually get passed by. I usually get passed right when I am finishing up.

qclabrat

my problem with road biking is that I'm never comfortable going 110% or even 80%. on the trails I have no cares and often ride till I puke

TheLonerider

To me the thing about road riding is that it isn't as weather dependent. Roads dry faster than singletrack and barring a blizzard or downpour you can ride in most conditions -- tho as I get older i don't dig rain.

You can also go and see places you never would if you were driving.

I also agree that mtb has many advantages, but over the years I've probably spent more time on the road. One of the things that makes mtb fun for me is the change from the road, and traffic, but you can usually find some traffic free areas unless u live in a huge city. The hills of Morris county... the winding roads of somerset... good places.

That said, belligerant drivers aren't as big a thing as they used to be, it seems ... I used to run into some wierd ones,,. now the distracted driver is the issue. But over the years I've only had a few accidents, Worst one was a near head on by a left turning car driven by a woman with no US license... shoulder still hurts but she was clueless probably would have hit me in my car, too lol.

That said, more people riding makes it a more normal sight and therefore makes people more aware, our "car culture" ain't gonna change if u sit home. have blinky lights and wear a bright jersey. Dont be a bike ninja. Also take a pump and tube... flats are more common than offroad in my experience because of debris from cars.

btw if you get a cross bike with bigger tires you can do dirt road etc where there is little traffic. Ive even seen 2 crossbikes on singletrack at lewis morris

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
1) Don't be an idiot. Stay the hell away from any over used commuter roads.
2) Always assume a car is behind you, never drift left.
3) Be predictable.
4) Make your intention clear....again and again. Signal early and often.
5) ***** Make Eye Contact******
6) Take the lane when safety calls for it. You have just as much right to safe passage as the motorized vehicles do.

Bonus:
* Ya don't wear drawers under the chamois.

* A$$ cream is partially to keep you from rubbing yourself raw and partially to keep the wet diaper like apparatus from giving you "Baboon A$$".

* If it tingles you're golden.... If it burns, ya grabbed the wrong tube.... Enjoy the roasted chestnuts.

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
-Think wisely about the roads you are on and the time of day.

-Think how you would drive from point A). to point B). .. go a different way.

-Use VERY bright lights both day and night. Make yourself seen. There are a lot of them out there. This new one from CATEYE is really cool: https://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD710K/

http://www.njbikemap.com/

This site rates every road in NJ by the level of perceived safety.

-Avoid dark colored clothing and assume no one sees you.

-Assume that everyone is texting while driving... because they are.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
-Assume that everyone is texting while driving... because they are.
This is so true
I commute via bus and every now and then I would peek down on the cars next to the bus and they are texting away or doing something other than driving.

giff06

Lots of good points here. I especially agree with picking the roads you choose to ride carefully, Be highly visible, and learn how to look behind you without swerving into the traffic lane . Even if you use a mirror this is a must know skill.
Ride defensively (as opposed to offensively) and good luck.
Ed and Pat Gifford
the Snot Rocket tandem

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The accident risk for cars is WAY overrated. Everyone else said the correct stuff however buy good shorts , that fit and ditch the chamois cream as it can actually lead to more friction. You can find road with basically zero cars on them and the morning is the better time for this. Hi Vis isn't going help a car plowing your ass, nor is a tail light during the day. Ride offensively, not defensively, don't ask nicely to take the lane, just take it. Put yourself in the safety spot on every road you are on and that is rarely 6" from the edge of pavement.

hotsauce

@stb222 has it down. I ride with a tail light 100% of the time though, maybe its wishful thinking but it doesn't hurt to have it on.

I can't find the article/study but I was reading recently that having bright/reflective shoe covers/shoes/socks creates additional visibility. The rotating motion of the bright object is better than the stagnant hi-viz jersey.

Top Bottom