RIP NJ cyclist

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Required Equipment

39:4-14.5 Definition. “Bicycle” means any two wheeled vehicle having a rear drive which is solely human powered and having a seat height of 25 inches or greater when the seat is in the lowest adjustable position.

39:4-10 Lights on Bicycles. When in use at nighttime every bicycle shall be equipped with: 1) A front headlamp emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the front; 2) A rear lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of at least 500 feet to the rear; 3) In addition to the red lamp, a red reflector may be mounted on the rear.

39:4-11 Audible Signal. A bicycle must be equipped with a bell or other audible device that can be heard at least 100 feet away - NOT a siren or whistle.

39:4-11.1 Brakes. A bicycle must be equipped with a brake that can make wheels skid while stopping on dry, level, clean pavement.

Rights and Duties

39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles. Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

On August 1, 1998 this law was extended to include roller and inline skates and skateboards. Roller skates means a pair of devices worn on the feet with a set of wheels attached, regardless of the number or placement of those wheels that are used to glide or propel the user over the ground.

Operating Requirements

39:4-12 Feet and Hands on Pedals and Handlebars; Carrying Another Person. DO NOT drive the bicycle with feet removed from the pedals, or with both hands removed from the handlebars, nor practice any trick or fancy driving on a street. Limit passengers to only the number the bicycle is designed and equipped to carry (the number of seats it has).

39:4-14 Hitching on Vehicle Prohibited. No person riding a bicycle shall attach themselves to any streetcar or vehicle.

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations. Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions:

1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket;

2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right;

3) To pass a slower moving vehicle;

4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic;

5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file.

Every person riding a bicycle should ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states that a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.
Note that it does not address specific rules for when a designated bike lane is present or when a shoulder meets the requirements for a bike lane (in general 4' or greater, but does change with presence of a curb, lane width, pavement width, etc.).

So this very possible scenario(not some one off exaggeration). My previous example on RT 518 in Blawenburg is currently this situation) :

Designated/marked bike lane / shoulder: We will say 4' in width, continuous. Traffic in the driving lane is backed up and stopped 200' from the intersection, due to the signal.

In this situation, so you stop and wait behind the last car in the que, as you approach? Assume bike lane continues through intersection.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Note that it does not address specific rules for when a designated bike lane is present or when a shoulder meets the requirements for a bike lane (in general 4' or greater, but does change with presence of a curb, lane width, pavement width, etc.).

So this very possible scenario(not some one off exaggeration). My previous example on RT 518 in Blawenburg is currently this situation) :

Designated/marked bike lane / shoulder: We will say 4' in width, continuous. Traffic in the driving lane is backed up and stopped 200' from the intersection, due to the signal.

In this situation, so you stop and wait behind the last car in the que, as you approach? Assume bike lane continues through intersection.

in this situation the bike lane is another lane available, if its not backed up it would be like driving down the right lane at a traffic light when the left lane is backed up (both lanes continuing straight thru).

i may not be right, but thats how i see it at a quick glance.

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
NJ Dept. of Transportation has a PDF you can download if you want:
https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/bike/events.shtm

The League of American Bicyclists also has materials for purchase (I have a PDF from 3 years ago if anyone wants a copy of that. we may also have a stray guide lying around as well. Steve and I taught safe biking classes for bike and walk morristown at one point.):
https://www.bikeleague.org/smartcyclingresources

otherwise, i'll default to all the lawyers and cops out there with more knowledge of the laws and fines associated with biking in NJ.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG

I continue through in the bike lane. If there’s a bike lane I stay in the bike lane. If I need to make a left obviously I’ll leave the bike lane if there is constant traffic. If there’s just a few cars I’ll stop in the bike lane, wait for the intersection to clear, then proceed.

Xler8

Required Equipment

39:4-14.5 Definition. “Bicycle” means any two wheeled vehicle having a rear drive which is solely human powered and having a seat height of 25 inches or greater when the seat is in the lowest adjustable position.

Rights and Duties

39:4-14.1 Rights and Duties of Persons on Bicycles. Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway is granted all the rights and subject to all of the duties of the motor vehicle driver.

Some of the “rules and regulations” are rather comical.

“A seat of 25 inches...” what if there is no seat? Then what is it? Not a bike?

Rights and duties is a good one. A person on a bike has all the rights and subject to all duties of a motor vehicle??? What the fuck are these people smoking???

A two ton piece of metal vs. a person on a 15-20lb bike. And both are on the same playing field?

In most situations the person on the bike should have more rights. It’s not that far off from walking or running. The only thing that’s different is the speed. What if I could run 15-20mph? What if a person walking/running filters?

People who don’t ride a bike will never understand as they drive their car. If more people got off their fat ass and pedaled on the streets they drive on, they would get a better understanding of how to drive when around a cyclist.

rick81721

Lothar
Probably not but kids usually aren't the angry rage drivers.

I think we are in a transition phase and in 10 years from now this will be much less of an issue.

So you are suggesting that road rage is an "old people" issue? Seriously? At least in NJ, most of the road rage against cyclists that I have experienced has been males, age late 20s to 50s based on their vehicles/faces.

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG

Mahnken

Bells on a road bike are silly, the only people who would hear them are pedestrians. Might make sense if you ride in stinkin NYC but I don't ride in cities so not gonna happen.

TOPTREK Bicycle Bell 120db Cycling Electric Bike Bell USB Rechargeable IP65 Waterproof Anti-dust Mini Size Bicycle Horn certified by CE and ROHS 3 Sound Modes Ring for Mountain Bike/Road Bike/BMX/MTB https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078M38JP2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jNSbCbZS3TX5P

A bunch of people here just ordered these, I think they're loud enough for the cars to hear.

rick81721

Lothar
You are doing something extra special then, you’re going against the grain of stats!

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/07/27/study-reveals-women-more-prone-to-road-rage-than-men/

That's bizarre. According to this psych study and the AAA, it's primarily men:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2922361/

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2016/07/ne...ss-significant-anger-aggression-or-road-rage/

Anywho, to my original point, all three studies agree on one aspect - this is a young driver problem, not old.

Ian F

Ahh, the diff between commuting in rush hour down Bloomfield Ave and taking a pleasure ride in a less dense streetscape. When traffic lights are close together, and parked cars line the street, the goal becomes deterring cars from passing at all. I'm usually out of the way before they pass twice.

A small irritation for drivers vs. me getting buzzed by EVERY car for five or six miles. That is truly frightening. Once the shoulder opens up, the infrastructure then allows for legal riding. It is an infrastructure problem-- drivers shouldn't blame cyclists who risk their lives on the daily. But drivers are very entitled. Strangely, drivers in Newark are much friendlier than in Montclair. Hmmm

I've been riding on the road at all times of the day in pretty much every road condition since I was 13 - so for 35 years now. I've had pretty much every close encounter you can think of, short of getting hit. I've been passed by trucks so closely that if I moved my left elbow it would have been taken off. Basically - nothing phases me anymore. I do what I do on the road because in my experience, that's what has worked for me to reduce the amount of hostility I receive. I don't expect that hostility to ever be eliminated. Some folks just drive angry. But I'm not going to stop doing what I love just because of a handful of jerks. I don't know if I'll ride a mtn bike for the rest of my life, but I know for sure I'll be on a road bike until I can't pedal anymore. If I die on the hood of some SUV with a texting driver, at least I'll die doing what I love. I'm ok with that.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hi. I think Joy got most of it. Kevin makes some solid points on the bike lane. Clearly, the bike laws are ancient and don't incorporate more recent traffic patterns. That would fall to case law and reasonableness (basically a judge would decide). A dedicated bike lane....I don't think any officer would see that as improper passing. A wide should probably same.

Don't assume because an officer writes a ticket that it's based 100% on statute and is lock-tight. I will assure you most patrol cops know less than us (bikers) as they generally have little to no contact with bikers and and the enforcement of bike laws. Even motor vehicle accident collisions...I think I've handled less than a dozen in 21 years that involved bicycles and of those maybe 3 or 4 involved serious injuries.

Sidebar:

There's a young adult (maybe 20) who rides up and down 523 (no shoulder at all) between Whitehouse Station and Flemington. Mostly he rides during rush hour, so it appears he's going to and from work somewhere. Rain, fog, whatever...he's riding. He's on a hybrid and wears a helmet and yellow vest but has no lights at all. He's spooked me a few times. I have yet to see him while working (and 523 is mostly Readington) so I can stop and educate him. Every time I see him I get anxious because I know he's eventually going to get hit. Hell, I'd buy him a light if he can't afford one; it's better than seeing him in a ditch before I retire.

Last edited:

clarkenstein

JORBA.ORG
@Carson compared to motorcycles, are bicycles not being visible an issue or is it more the fact that they continually get passed and get run off the road that way? I feel like speed is generally what hurts/kills motorcyclists (besides cars turning left in front of them) and with bikes it’s that they can’t keep up with the flow of traffic and end up in the wrong spot at the right time.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

It addresses the shoulder in the fact that the shoulder is not actually part of the road. As I mentioned before, the law doesn't recognize it as a legal place for a cyclist to ride. So this comes back to my view that you have to use your judgement. I ride in the shoulder where it makes sense, but at most intersections I'll come of the shoulder into the lane and take the lane.

As mentioned before, it's a continually changing thing. Some intersections I'll do this because I want to be out and visible for any cars that would make a right at the intersection possibly killing me. If there's a turning lane, I'm definitely in the lane of the direction I'm going. Some roads with a clear shoulder through the intersection I won't be in the lane.

It's not easy, our infrastructure sucks, and the laws aren't always clear. Balancing act of not being a asshole and staying alive.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It addresses the shoulder in the fact that the shoulder is not actually part of the road. As I mentioned before, the law doesn't recognize it as a legal place for a cyclist to ride. So this comes back to my view that you have to use your judgement. I ride in the shoulder where it makes sense, but at most intersections I'll come of the shoulder into the lane and take the lane.

As mentioned before, it's a continually changing thing. Some intersections I'll do this because I want to be out and visible for any cars that would make a right at the intersection possibly killing me. If there's a turning lane, I'm definitely in the lane of the direction I'm going. Some roads with a clear shoulder through the intersection I won't be in the lane.

It's not easy, our infrastructure sucks, and the laws aren't always clear. Balancing act of not being a asshole and staying alive.

all these laws don't make any difference if one gets hit. yeah, it might place blame (in the legal sense?) - but what are the behaviors/skills/equipment to minimize the chance
of an accident (you know they are called accidents for a reason) - getting buzzed is probably the culmination of other issues - they only need 3 feet - unless someone
has no idea how wider their car is (ok, yeah) this isn't a problem.

some interesting wikipedia reading. -

Top Bottom