Ringwood State Park Conditions

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
So, lots of snow/ice/rain yesterday. Any chance Ringwood won't be a skating rink tomorrow morning? Overnight lows dipping below 20 so it will be frozen, just not sure if it will be solid ice or rideable snow. I do not have studded tires.

huffster

I just came back from Sterling Forest area on a road ride (with MTB). I took a brief "poke" up one of the gravel roads and even that was super-soft. So, I stuck to the roads. I can't imagine that Ringwood isn't mushy right now.

Mr.Moto

Was able to get out for a quick ride today. For the most part only fire roads were accessible where 4 wheel drive and snowmobiles have ridden. Lower roads were more pack down and easily rideable. As I headed higher up, there was less vehicle activity so conditions were softer and more difficult. Temps were coming up too. The green trail after Pierson's and the pipeline had only a bit of snowmobile activity. Hike a bike in deep snow by the new white and Weyble pond.

IMG_2729.JPG

IMG_2734.JPG

IMG_2735.JPG

Mr.Moto

Fire roads are 90% rideable on Saturday (3/17). More packed down than last week and some icy / bare spots. Where there was less snowmobile activity and warmer temps snow softened making it a little harder. Get out early before it gets too warm for a decent ride. Did not see any rideable single track.

Mtbdog

Are there any t.m. days scheduled for Ringwood in preparation for the race? Possible Pay Dirt points in conjunction with the race? Thanks!

Cannonbill

Tomorrow ride-able?
I live in Ringwood, I would say getting close, but not there yet. East and south facing ground is showing through. North and west facing is still fully covered. Up high, the snow is still deep. Depending on the trail, this weekend is a possibility. See the post on Sterling from yesterday.

Last edited:

Bernard H

I live in Ringwood, I would say getting close, but not there yet. East and south facing ground is showing through. North and west facing is still fully covered. Up high, the snow is still deep. Depending on the trail, this weekend is a possibility. See the post on Sterling from yesterday.

Bummer! Hopefully it will be good to go soon. Need to see what Ringwood is like! I have the race coming up on the 15th and have never ridden there.

Cannonbill

Here is a pic from this morning. The house in the pic faces west, look at the back yard for an idea on what the woods are like.

Attachments

• D3F03448-B2C3-4445-A4F3-D9FED60D8BA6.jpeg
    D3F03448-B2C3-4445-A4F3-D9FED60D8BA6.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 343

Cannonbill

My wife went for a hike in the rain this AM, said there was still some snow, but melting fast. She didn’t get up high into the mountain, but it is starting to open up. Will be wet. Depending on rain, this weekend may work.

Cannonbill

Ringwood still has snow on north facing slopes and higher up in the trails. Skylands Trail was 98 percent rideable this morning, lots of large trees fell and block the trail. I would bet the trail that connects Ringwood to Sterling is in good shape. Sterling still has snow and will need more time.

Attachments

• 3B56E51D-8979-4FEF-BBAC-58DCB26D3A77.jpeg
    3B56E51D-8979-4FEF-BBAC-58DCB26D3A77.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 8C462109-26E9-4BE8-BE02-0C973216E6D1.jpeg
    8C462109-26E9-4BE8-BE02-0C973216E6D1.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 325

BabyRobot

I did some riding there this past Saturday. Muddy in spots, stick to more rocky trails. A bit of snow in the higher elevations, but not enough to be a hinderance. Quite a bit of trees down blocking trails. Going to give it another go on Sunday.

choop

I was hoping to come up and check out the H2H course on Sunday. Have the trails melted off/dried out yet?

BabyRobot

There is no snow on the H2H circuit (as of last Saturday). It's raining now though. Im going to check it out tomorrow afternoon again.

BabyRobot

Posted this in the H2H thread but thought Id put it here as well...

"Regarding Ringwood... the race route has quite a bit of trees down. What is the etiquette for clearing them? Im talking ones that obviously aren't built into features. Leave it to the race organizers? Or can I do a little trimming and removing on a ride? Thought I'd ask before doing something uncouth."

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
conditions were all over the place today (ride started out with snow falling and on the ground), fireroads are wet, under water even in some spots, the singletrack that we hit was good.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions