Ringwood revisited, 25 years later....

oobaa47

Ok, so I wasn't too sure where to post this, but being that I'm new to the site and relatively new to the xc universe, I decided to post here. Me: over 40, over 210 lbs, (ie, old and slow)......been dh'ing at mcbp for the past 4 years or so. Only bike I own is a dh bike. So since the off season is so long (6 months) I decided to purchase a trail bike to keep me in shape during the dh offseason and to satiate my two wheeled fix. Last time I rode xc was at Ringwood over a quarter of a century ago on a fully rigid with rim brakes (my god, how did we do it??!?!??). So my new trusty steed arrived a few days ago and I quickly built it up (xmas came early for this guy). I begin to surf the internet looking for places to ride. An abandoned zoo was one place, a convenience store was another (wawa?), sterling forest looks like it's being built currently, and then Ringwood. Ah yes, the place I vaguely remember being there so many moons ago. So then I refine my search and begin to look for a specific trail/loop. Most of the feedback was that it's a place that's very easy to get lost and not marked well. I stumble across something called the rvcc race course. Looks like it's near shepard lake lot C which I easily find on google maps. So I figure, let's go for it!! I arrive at 8:15 am and an employee is just unlocking the gate. As I pull into the parking lot, there is not a soul there. In addition, the fog was so thick you couldn't see 20 yards in front of you. Ok, so a few thoughts begin to enter my head: haven't ridden a trail bike in eons, haven't been here in 25 years, visibility is atrocious, my skills are beyond pathetic, no one even here to pick my carcass up off the ground after my lungs explode or I go OTB, and I have no idea where I'm even going. So I start to toggle between strava to determine exactly where the hell I am, and some other website I found that shows the rvcc loop (how did we even ride back then without such technological advances??!?!?!). So I begin to peddle up the fire road, in the wrong gear, my suspension not even set for my weight or terrain (what the hell is ctd and a dropper post anyway??!?!?!?), and completely improper attire (sweat pants, a cotton hoodie, and a 15 year old helmet with broken straps). So within the first 3 minutes of climbing this fire road, I start breathing heavily. A few more minutes later and it feels like my heart is going to come flying out of my mouth. A few minutes after that and my legs start to feel like they're on fire. I use all of this as an excuse and take a break. To make sure I'm headed in the right direction I compare my strava location to this website map of rvcc. So far, so good. I decide to push on. I keep on trucking and encounter these gnarly ascents with rocky switchbacks (do you guys actually get up this without dabbing????). Needless to say, due to the aforementioned confluence of factors, I'm unable to clear this section. So the trail has slippery soak and wet leaves, on slippery soak and wet roots, as well as slippery soak and wet rocks. Getting back on is an impossibility. So I glance around the mountainside just to make sure no one is watching this videotaping me or rolling around on the ground laughing. I manage to get back on and venture onward. Multiple stops later, and a few strava checks, and it looks like I'm headed in the right direction. Despite my body telling me to surrender and just turn around, I start to feel confident and push ahead. I hit some descents. Awesome, my wheelhouse. Except this twitchy, noodly, steep angled ride is nothing like descending on my dh monster truck. Luckily, I take it easy and make it down in one piece. Now I start to hear multiple gun shots. Great. Just what I need, a reckless hunter mistaking my screeches for wildlife. The gunshots are getting closer and closer and coming with more frequency. My map I'm viewing tells me it's a shooting range to my relief. At this point I seem to catch a second wind and forge ahead. After all, there's no turning back because I'm so far into this mess. I begin to get lost a little bit and start guessing on the direction as not all intersections have that rvcc trail indicator. But overall, it looks like I'm headed in the correct direction. For some reason I thought the last part of the rvcc course was all downhill. I start to get pretty depressed to see more climbs with more hairy uphill switchbacks. I have no choice now so I somehow get up these (lost track of the dabs). To my elation, I see shepard lake in the distance. My God, I made it back. Soak and wet, exhausted, my throat killing me, my legs on fire, and my lungs burning. And you know what, I loved every minute of it! I can't wait to do it again!!! The moral of the story I guess is not to take a quarter of a century off......or on your first ride after said hiatus, don't try to tackle the rvcc race course, try a paved road first!! Take care and see you out there.......

kidzach

Very good perspective and read. Welcome aboard and welcome back. At least you were smart enough to do some research and have navigation with you. One thing about all trail systems in NJ , markings are absolutely useless other than Six Mile. I used to always ride Ringwood with my father. I went back a few months ago and got a little screwed up with the pipeline crossing, but had a blast I've been riding Allumuchy north for years and can still get lost there. But I like the adventure of it all (this is what I tell myself as I am stubborn to technology). Keep on rollin'

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Sounds like my first time at Ringwood.... actually it was my only time but not for long.

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Welcome aboard... there are a lot of parks that you can reacquaint yourself with riding plus if you check the rides section you can find a tour.
Also as it sounds like you have a smart phone download maprika I think there are maps for most parks and it will "blue" dot your position on the map.
Remember have fun ride bikes....

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The moral of the story I guess is not to take a quarter of a century off......or on your first ride after said hiatus, don't try to tackle the rvcc race course, try a paved road first!! Take care and see you out there.......
Welcome.
You should hit up Kittatinny its more beginner friendly.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I feel your pain or enthusiasm!

As @soundz says we should ride together. And I haven't ridden Ringwood either since 1996.

Welcome.

huffster

Welcome and nice write up. Since I know Ringwood fairly well, I could really imagine as you painted the picture.

greeek32

The nice part about ringwood is that even when you get lost, you still have a good time. also, once you get lost a couple of times you stop getting lost. After work finishes for the semester I'll be riding there a bit more and you're welcome to join me. I know the way, am not in the least bit competitive, and a major aspect of mountain biking for me is lollygagging. Next time you go back try out the new white trail. it's brand spankin' new and is around weyble(sp?) pond (on the old maps a little bit of it is labeled "poison ivy").

Also, considering you ride at MCBP during DH season, leave the DH bike on the car for a few hours one day and ride mountain creek's XC trails, they're top notch.

merritt

The nice part about ringwood is that even when you get lost, you still have a good time. also, once you get lost a couple of times you stop getting lost. After work finishes for the semester I'll be riding there a bit more and you're welcome to join me. I know the way, am not in the least bit competitive, and a major aspect of mountain biking for me is lollygagging. Next time you go back try out the new white trail. it's brand spankin' new and is around weyble(sp?) pond (on the old maps a little bit of it is labeled "poison ivy").

Also, considering you ride at MCBP during DH season, leave the DH bike on the car for a few hours one day and ride mountain creek's XC trails, they're top notch.
Ditto about the xc trails , you'll be selling that DH rig and racing the h2h series. :D

domo

i love ringwood because of all you mentioned, not much a fan of the wide fire roads but the single track is so much fun, hard and technical and sure to kick a$$

i always like new perspectives on ringwood, just to make sure im not the only one that gets his butt kicked lol,(painful joy)

mtbiker87

Hey there !..welcome aboard ! I also happen to be 40 +,live about 5 min from MCBP and across the street from WAYWAY, and ride both. So if you ever want to check out the "convenience store"..give me a shout.

bystickel

Awesome write-up. Thanks for sharing. I remember when i first got into it and everything seemed impossible, and then years later when I got out of shape and everything seemed impossible and years after that when I got fat and everything seemed impossible. Each time, I pedaled through it (;

icebiker

JORBA: Morris Trails
JORBA.ORG
Welcome back to the fold. +2 on the Maprika map. Ringwood has a LOT of new stuff since you last rode there thanks to the hard work of many volunteers. The new crossover /White trail is a true gem.

Top Bottom