Riding the Skyline early in the morning

Bora

My job hours are terrible, and to ride a bike in the middle of the week I have a choice 8pm or 6-7am (preferable).
Is it legal to park (top parking lot) and ride the bike around that time on Cannonball?

UnionRider475

The sign at the top of Skyline says park opens at 8 a.m. but I've been there as early as 6:30 a.m. and I've never received a ticket or anything .

Bora

Hmm,
I should explore this idea :hmmm: (the football field parking lot)
I usually try to do the loop that Manny posted. "Try" is the best description, cause after some time I usually start cursing saying I will never do it again.

JerseyPete

Keep in mind bear and deer season this week. A lot of animals may get driven into the area you ride. Wear orange too. Freeride and I came across the gas line about a year ago to see a hunter on it with his shot gun and quad.

crash

Bear Season Opens Monday, December 5
The 2011 New Jersey black bear hunting season begins Monday, December 5 and is scheduled to end on December 10. It runs concurrently with the Six-day Firearm Deer Season and is nearly identical to the conservative 2010 bear season. The season bag limit is one bear per hunter.

Hunters can expect excellent opportunities as the Garden State boasts a robust and healthy bear population. The latest population estimates show more than 3,400 bears in the hunting area north of Interstate Highway 78 and west of Interstate Highway 287 in the northwest corner of the state. DEP Division of Fish and Wildlife biologists predict a harvest similar to the 2010 hunting season, with hunter success rates at approximately 7½ percent of permit holders.

REQUIREMENTS

Bear hunters must have a current and valid NJ Firearm Hunting or All-around Sportsman License and Black Bear Season Permit to participate in the bear hunting season. Firearms are restricted to shotguns not smaller than 20 gauge nor larger than 10 gauge, shooting slugs and affixed with adjustable open iron or peep sights or a scope; or a muzzleloading rifle not less than .44 caliber shooting a single projectile. Hunters may hunt by stand hunting, still-hunting or drive hunting. It is illegal to take or attempt to take a bear in a den.

Bear hunters must wear a hat of solid fluorescent hunter orange or an outer garment containing at least 200 square inches of fluorescent orange material visible from all sides.

WHERE TO HUNT

The area open for hunting is divided into four Bear Hunting Areas (BHA) and bear hunters must have a permit specific to the BHA they are hunting. A lottery was conducted to award the 10,000 bear hunting permits available for the season, but not all permits were sold out. More than 4,600 hunters were awarded their first-choice permit during the first lottery and it is anticipated that approximately 1,000 more permits will be issued during over-the-counter sales.

The highest bear densities occur in BHAs 1 and 3. BHA 1 encompasses that area of Sussex and Warren Counties which borders the Delaware River and includes public lands such as Worthington and Stokes State Forests, High Point State Park, Bear Swamp, Flatbrook and Walpack Wildlife Management Areas and the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.

BHA 3 encompasses that area of Sussex, Passaic, Morris and Bergen Counties in the north central part of the state and includes public lands such as Abram Hewitt and Norvin Green State Forests, Wawayanda State Park, Hamburg Mountain, Rockaway River and Sparta Mountain Wildlife Management Areas and the Newark Watershed (watershed access permit in addition to bear permit required). The Northeastern corner of BHA 3 has an abundance of state land and an abundance of bears, but very little hunting pressure.

Although BHA 2, in Sussex, Warren and Morris Counties, contains less forested lands and more farmlands than BHAs 1 or 3, bears are nevertheless abundant. Public land in BHA 2 includes Allamuchy Mountain State Park and the Whittingham Wildlife Management Area. The Wallkill Valley National Wildlife Refuge is not open for bear hunting in 2011.

Hunters will find bears in BHA 4 in Southern Warren and Northern Hunterdon Counties. Public lands in BHA 4 include Jenny Jump State Forest, Allamuchy Mountain State Park and Buckhorn Creek, Clinton and Pequest Wildlife Management Areas.

For a map of Bear Hunting Areas, and area descriptions, visit www.njfishandwildlife.com/bearareamap.htm.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions