Riding Packs/Hip Packs

Supermoto

I use a cheap pack from amazon. I don't want to carry water on my back, so a little pack has plenty of room for tools, phone, keys, wallet. During the winter I can stuff extra clothes, gloves and hand warmers in there

JoeLee

I bought A Camelback Palos ways to hydration pack from REI and I hated it and returned it. The way you spell kept coming loose on rides and it bounced like crazy and lacked any sort of compression strap to bring the load tighter to your back.

That said I'm still looking for a good waist pack to replace my first generation MmountainSmith but I've pair down by removing all the extra straps and pulls dropping about a half a pound off it. I love it, it rides great but it's pretty much worn out.

The Evoc looks super interesting

BiknBen

@jdog introduced me to the Camelbak. I got one out of curiosity. I found it cumbersome with a full bladder. It slumped and the waist strap would slowly loosen.

I quickly ditched the bladder and use it for gear and food instead. Therefore it is much lighter and doesn't move around or slump as much.

It became a godsend when downhilling big mountain parks. Carried just the right amount of stuff and didn't bug me at all on the DH terrain.

Based on what I read here, I just ordered the Source bag. I like the idea of the super minimal shoulder straps. Just to keep it in place.

Thanks boys. Good discussion.

terrabike01

@jdog introduced me to the Camelbak. I got one out of curiosity. I found it cumbersome with a full bladder. It slumped and the waist strap would slowly loosen.

I quickly ditched the bladder and use it for gear and food instead. Therefore it is much lighter and doesn't move around or slump as much.

It became a godsend when downhilling big mountain parks. Carried just the right amount of stuff and didn't bug me at all on the DH terrain.

Based on what I read here, I just ordered the Source bag. I like the idea of the super minimal shoulder straps. Just to keep it in place.

Thanks boys. Good discussion.
Just like you said, most of the reviews I read about the Camelback version said they all loosen up after a while. I'm also think I'm going with the Source bag. I need a lot of water in the summer and I like the idea of the shoulder straps. Should support the bag somewhat and keep it from flopping around. Should keep the back semi cool in the summer.
Anyone have the Source bag and rode with it full of water?

stevie.mtb

I personally think hip packs are rad. I use a mtb specific backpack for rides that are longer than 3 hours (usually in the mountains where I need to be self sufficient w/ supplies and water). I plan on grabbing a Dakine Hot Laps hip pack, based off of great reviews, for the rides that are shorter and more local where all you need is a few essentials (water bottle mounted to bike).

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
View attachment 45294
It maybe a little high-up on my back. Not real sure where it should fit.
To me it seems that the shoulder strap layout is useless when all that strapping comes to a single hinge of the pack. If I am to wear shoulder strap I would think that it would fasten to multiple hinges for support. Just my observation.

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
To me it seems that the shoulder strap layout is useless when all that strapping comes to a single hinge of the pack. If I am to wear shoulder strap I would think that it would fasten to multiple hinges for support. Just my observation.

I'm not even sure I will need the harness while riding.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
attack-on-titan-male-harness.jpg

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
What's the benefit of a hip pack over a small CamelBak? I don't get it.

rlb

What's the benefit of a hip pack over a small CamelBak? I don't get it.

Keeping the weight lower on your back for better balance and less fatigue of your back/shoulders etc. It also helps to not have a blanket on your back when it's 90 degrees but then again you'll need enough water....

Top Bottom