Riding by the Numbers

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Watch as the weather changes as it'll throw the power meter off a tad. That's all I have. Good work, you're slaying it out there.

Weather changes during the day or in general? I would think calibrating at the beginning of the ride would a fix the temperature change vs another day, although temperature can swing widely during a ride.

They should have a temperature compensation internal if well designed...

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i like how we all pretend it even matters with these devices, like we arent world class athletes FOH
why wouldnt it matter? I mean does it matter what the number says on the screen? 100? 3000? 11? no...but if you have spent X number of dollars on a PM and you are spending hours a week training with it....It should at least work and be a consistent measuring tool.

My latest saga with my stages....Sent me a 3rd brand new one. So if im at say steady state...300w for example...get to a climb and increase power....the cadence will jump from say 80 RPM to 130-140rpm (even tho my cadence is actually decreasing) and the power drops to below 200 when it should be 4-500. Like this kind of absurdity, not just...well I think the number is too high or low.....

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
i agree it should work and be consistent, thats all that matters. mine has only STB twice, once when i did a gravel race the day after a snow storm and i probably rode through 10,000 puddles for about 4 hours, and another one when i did a large cookie ride and we got caught in a monsoon. so as long as i don't ride through a hurricane it's been pretty predictable. maybe it's because i have one of those old rival gxp jawns.

the complaints about being accurate within a certain percentage make me laugh though.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
@UtahJoe you just need to calibrate it.
xzeXJRu.gif

BrianGT3

I've been using a Stages Power Meter on road bike and I've been calibrating every ride post initial FTP test end of August. Prior to my initial FTP Test I didn't calibrate all summer! I've been using the stages for a year now on my road bike averaging 2-3 rides per week. So far I've only had one connection issue and went through one battery. Guess I've been lucky?

I set the sampling rate to 1 sec or 1 hz on my Garmin. By default a Garmin Edge 520 (prob other GPS devices too) have smart sampling. It figures okay, you're holding ~85rpm for past 10 minutes, I don't need to measure cadence as a priority every 1 sec. Data streams are smoother in Strava/Connect/Training Peaks, Garmin uses less battery. But for power you'd get some weird readings or in inaccuracies because it will change slightly every single pedal stroke.

My power display on screen is 3sec Avg. Its going to fluctuate while road riding. Wind, bumps, road vibration. Only time I get super smooth and consistent power readings is indoors on the rollers.

Not sure if these two things will help people having issues with stages. It's been working for me.

My background is not electrical engineering, so there is a 50% chance I'm correct on this. I tried some googling, apparently as temperature increases, resistence decreases. So at lower temp a power meter would give a higher reading than at higher temp? Maybe my FTP was higher back in August because I didn't calibrate. Regardless, I worked with the numbers I got.

End of the day if your equipment is working, be consistent using it. I'm not sure the guage on my tire pump is 100% accurate, but it's the guage I always use. 20 PSI may be 23 PSI on your pump or gauge, but I go off mine and set pressures accordingly before rides and races. Same deal with power meter, 322 W for me may be 300 w on your bike or 330W on stationary bike in gym. But Im going with my numbers and structuring accordingly because 70% of my riding is on the road for training.

Power based training is just one piece of the puzzle, not an end all be all. I agree with @pearl , I'm not looking for exact or precise numbers here. Maybe if I was going to TT Nationals in Open Men, that 5 to 10watts would make a difference, hence the need for a higher end power meter measuring both cranks or at chainring. I'm doing Cat 1 XC here, and when doing intervals I want to be in a certain range for a certain period of time.

In for cookies.

@Norm if the cookies give me incorrect or inconsistent ratios of chocolate chips per cookie can I return them for a refund?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I've been using a Stages Power Meter on road bike and I've been calibrating every ride post initial FTP test end of August. Prior to my initial FTP Test I didn't calibrate all summer! I've been using the stages for a year now on my road bike averaging 2-3 rides per week. So far I've only had one connection issue and went through one battery. Guess I've been lucky?

I set the sampling rate to 1 sec or 1 hz on my Garmin. By default a Garmin Edge 520 (prob other GPS devices too) have smart sampling. It figures okay, you're holding ~85rpm for past 10 minutes, I don't need to measure cadence as a priority every 1 sec. Data streams are smoother in Strava/Connect/Training Peaks, Garmin uses less battery. But for power you'd get some weird readings or in inaccuracies because it will change slightly every single pedal stroke.

My power display on screen is 3sec Avg. Its going to fluctuate while road riding. Wind, bumps, road vibration. Only time I get super smooth and consistent power readings is indoors on the rollers.

Not sure if these two things will help people having issues with stages. It's been working for me.

My background is not electrical engineering, so there is a 50% chance I'm correct on this. I tried some googling, apparently as temperature increases, resistence decreases. So at lower temp a power meter would give a higher reading than at higher temp? Maybe my FTP was higher back in August because I didn't calibrate. Regardless, I worked with the numbers I got.

End of the day if your equipment is working, be consistent using it. I'm not sure the guage on my tire pump is 100% accurate, but it's the guage I always use. 20 PSI may be 23 PSI on your pump or gauge, but I go off mine and set pressures accordingly before rides and races. Same deal with power meter, 322 W for me may be 300 w on your bike or 330W on stationary bike in gym. But Im going with my numbers and structuring accordingly because 70% of my riding is on the road for training.

Power based training is just one piece of the puzzle, not an end all be all. I agree with @pearl , I'm not looking for exact or precise numbers here. Maybe if I was going to TT Nationals in Open Men, that 5 to 10watts would make a difference, hence the need for a higher end power meter measuring both cranks or at chainring. I'm doing Cat 1 XC here, and when doing intervals I want to be in a certain range for a certain period of time.

@Norm if the cookies give me incorrect or inconsistent ratios of chocolate chips per cookie can I return them for a refund?
You nailed it with the TT nats referernce. I haven’t used my power meter since I went for a 10 min segment back in may. I dropped my coach(on account of not being able to train consistently), have been doing my own thing with no structured intervals and just using training peaks to guesstimate my fitness and fatigue levels. I get less sleep by far but my results(in races, power peaks and segments) is at my all time currently. 3/4 of becoming a better racer is just learning to race harder. In the past I had the fitness but always mentally held back in races. Now I just fuck up and take wrong turns.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i just want to throw some mathematical perspective here, i dont want to be a downer, or a negative nancy, so if it come across that way, im sorry, not my intent at all.

your power now was 320 (avg power for FTP iirc from my readings) so 304 for FTP.
your avg power was 269 (avg power from august per your earlier post) so 255.55 for FTP

304-255.55=48.45watts.

48.45/255.55=.18959

that is a 18.96% INCREASE in power, seems like a whole hell of a lot to me, especially for someone who has been riding all along and is not starting new off the couch.

is it possible for that kind of jump in that time? i honestly have no clue, but 2.5 months for a (almost) 20% increase in a seasoned athlete seems large. This would bring me to question the consistency of the measuring device (which it seems alot of people dont trust the stages, i have no experience with them as i have a powertap that i use).

Top Bottom