Ride single file or else

rick81721

Lothar
So today's angry motorist story...

i'm going downhill around a turn - probably doing 20 - in the sourlands (lindberg, above ridge road)
there i a storm grate on the right - i pass six inches to the left of it.
car coming up the hill wants to cut the corner tight, and is closer to me than their edge of the road.
rider honks and screams something.

i'm still confuse about that one.

I've had more than a few close encounters there. Poorly placed drainage grate for us cyclists.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I've had more than a few close encounters there. Poorly placed drainage grate for us cyclists.
Is this the one on the corner that has created a roller out of the pavement to pump? Sounds like it is and if so, PUMP THE SHIT out of it.

rick81721

Lothar
On the alerting someone that you're passing them front, some fat guy blew by me on hollow today without saying a word. Saddlebags on the back and I wasn't lollygagging. Must've been an ebike, he flew up the last little climb to 518 and then zipped thru the intersection without pedaling. Chump!

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
on willow in the boro today i was riding home towards a spot with a potential right hook - right where township line connects in. i'm going straight, SUV comes up on my left, i look back, blinker is on to turn right. i hit the brakes, we both come to a complete stop. i figured i was gonna get mauled. driver looks at me and waves me through. i hesitate, make eye contact again with the "you sure?" hand in the air sorta like the shrug emoji :shrug: , they wave me through again even with us both stopped... so i moved through. i'm currently not under the front wheel of a dodge, so i'll take that as a win.

rick81721

Lothar
on willow in the boro today i was riding home towards a spot with a potential right hook - right where township line connects in. i'm going straight, SUV comes up on my left, i look back, blinker is on to turn right. i hit the brakes, we both come to a complete stop. i figured i was gonna get mauled. driver looks at me and waves me through. i hesitate, make eye contact again with the "you sure?" hand in the air sorta like the shrug emoji :shrug: , they wave me through again even with us both stopped... so i moved through. i'm currently not under the front wheel of a dodge, so i'll take that as a win.

hey that's the spot where I was driving to work 2 years ago and some lady on a bike was going straight, I was turning onto township line. I stopped and tried to wave her thru and she snapped at me and started screaming!

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
since we're sharing...

i had someone pass me on my right side on south street in morristown.

yes. my right side.

i try to set a good biker example, but i assure you, he got a very pronounced one finger solute from me.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
no comprende

when there is a dip, get up off the saddle, and then drop your weight just as the dip starts - at the bottom, push up before the uphill, then let the bike come up under you.
end up with more forward momentum, just from well timed vertical movement of your center of mass. (think pinewood derby car where starting with the COM as high as possible creates the most momentum in the flat)
when in the flat, put more energy in the system by moving the COM up, and absorbing the incline.

any better? or would a vid make it easier.

rick81721

Lothar
when there is a dip, get up off the saddle, and then drop your weight just as the dip starts - at the bottom, push up before the uphill, then let the bike come up under you.
end up with more forward momentum, just from well timed vertical movement of your center of mass. (think pinewood derby car where starting with the COM as high as possible creates the most momentum in the flat)
when in the flat, put more energy in the system by moving the COM up, and absorbing the incline.

I know the basic principle of a pump, I don't see the applicability on this section where you fly down a slope, negotiate a tight 90 deg turn, then continue on a slight uphill.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
no comprende

Let me help here Pat

Patrick

Staff member
I know the basic principle of a pump, I don't see the applicability on this section where you fly down a slope, negotiate a tight 90 deg turn, then continue on a slight uphill.

I don't think we are talking about the same spot.

Patrick

Staff member
Let me help here Pat

now i know where PSY learned his base moves.
gangnam-style-psy-emoticon-for-facebook.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
And on today's ride.....

Going down long hill rd off the sourland ridge, I take the lane.
Doing 40 mph, without pedaling. Watching for deer.

Escalade passes me in the other lane at about 60. 20 seconds later he pulls in a driveway. i go by as he clears the road.
Saved a solid 5 seconds with that move.

at least he didn't honk.

rick81721

Lothar
And on today's ride.....

Going down long hill rd off the sourland ridge, I take the lane.
Doing 40 mph, without pedaling. Watching for deer.

Escalade passes me in the other lane at about 60. 20 seconds later he pulls in a driveway. i go by as he clears the road.
Saved a solid 5 seconds with that move.

at least he didn't honk.

Reminds me I got burned on dutchtown-zion last week. Following a mailtruck, the clown decides to do a K turn on the steepest part of the descent, completely blocking the road as I slam on the brakes. Ruined my downhill time

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's

BCurry

I am absolutely amazed that the guy was able to get up and walk away after taking this hit.

Top Bottom