Ride single file or else

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
giphy.gif

rlb

Did I miss the part where @Monkey Soup said the guy deserved to be hit by a car? I'm not sure that was written here. And maybe I don't agree with laying on the horn at fellow bikers (despite how egregiously they're acting) I do agree with the rest of what he's saying.

Roadie pricks on group rides* add fuel to the fire. It's no different than riding trails in the mud. It's poor advocacy for a sport that's already hated.

*Not exactly saying this guy was a roadie prick, but from the short video we see he wasn't doing himself any favors.

Fat Trout

Etiquette question here: do people normally call out "passing left" on the road? I just say "hello" as I pass. Never had anyone call out when passing me, as rare as that happens ;)

Had something different happen a few months ago - and for some reason turned to look behind me and there's some guy sitting in my slipstream - didn't even know he was there - startled the shit out of me.

Passed a guy once. I checked back, no cars, looked front, no cars, I passed....waaaay wide on the center line. This guy was riding with a snails pace cadence and white gym socks pulled to his knees. On a bike but no biker.....no problem who cares right. I'm on my old mtn bike / "road bike" and was at a good clip....for a mtn bike I guess. Well he had a total and complete melt down that I passed him without advising I was coming. I heard more F-bombs in 10 seconds than in a month. On the more rare occations that I pass people (lol) I'll give people a heads up if anything might distract or be close or anything but never thought this was a problem. Wheew I guess you never know......

MMuller

Etiquette question here: do people normally call out "passing left" on the road? I just say "hello" as I pass. Never had anyone call out when passing me, as rare as that happens ;)
Hey Rick. No rule about giving a head's up really. In my circumstance yesterday, 1st guy was no big deal other than briefly startling me. He was at a decent clip and passed at a reasonable distance. It was the 2nd guy's speed and how ridiculously close he was that would've had 99% of us here on the board screaming.

Maybe from racing days I got used to letting riders know where I was about to pass. But that was way back when, when I used to pass people. haha

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
And maybe I don't agree with laying on the horn at fellow bikers
This will get nothing but an adverse reaction in any case...Lay on the horn to anyone...biker, car, truck, etc...See how well it works.

Reactions: rlb

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
This will get nothing but an adverse reaction in any case...Lay on the horn to anyone...biker, car, truck, etc...See how well it works.

my personal favorite is the people that use the horn rather than the steering wheel.

amazingly, i use the acceleration lane to...accelerate, and merge in at speed, in a reasonably sized space. sometimes that space is a few car lengths in front of someone,
on a highway, with nobody else in sight. they hit the horn, rather than moving over a lane to be comfortable, even tho there was never a conflict.
Or worse, i'm going to merge in behind someone, as they come by me, they panic, and hit the brake, and the horn.

i don't mind the friendly 'toot' from 100 yards back as a heads-up.

had a car sneak up on me yesterday - there was a cross wind, and i was somewhere in the high teens. never heard him.
accelerated past me at a safe distance. that was good.

giff06

I generally will say on your left if I'm passing someone that is unaware that we are there. Mostly I will tell someone that there is help back here if I am drafting them and they seem to be unaware that I/we are there. I say mostly/generally as some riders already know we are coming Marc, I agree with the stick in the front spokes for Mr. Asshat! The contamination of urban sprawl!

rick81721

Lothar
i don't mind the friendly 'toot' from 100 yards back as a heads-up.

had a car sneak up on me yesterday - there was a cross wind, and i was somewhere in the high teens. never heard him.
accelerated past me at a safe distance. that was good.

I still haven't gotten used to the "toot" and it startles me, I'd prefer nothing. Too hard to tell whether it really is a "Hey I'm approaching " or just a "what are you doing on the road".

wonderturtle

I still haven't gotten used to the "toot" and it startles me, I'd prefer nothing. Too hard to tell whether it really is a "Hey I'm approaching " or just a "what are you doing on the road".

unless I am mistaken I think I caught the tail end of a public service announcement discouraging the use of the "courtesy honk" - wasn't sure if it was talking about bikes or motorcycles. Interesting if it was about not giving "courtesy honks" to cyclists

anyway, I hate them too. they startle me. and they are totally unnecessary. listen drivers - I will pull my end of the bargain and stay to the right, you just pull your end and pass me at a safe distance. pretty simple actually.

Last edited:

terrabike01

Just saw on News 12 that this guy was arrested in Tennessee for this hit and run. He claimed he never knew he hit the cyclist which is very possible. Most drivers are pretty oblivious. Stay safe out there!

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
this thread reminds me i need to make sure my mini bike camera is working... mostly so i can capture plate numbers and report them.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Roadie pricks on group rides* add fuel to the fire. It's no different than riding trails in the mud. It's poor advocacy for a sport that's already hated.
...except you cant be seriously injured or hit by a 4000lb vehicle in muddy trails ;)

Sometimes riding 2 wide may be safer for the group of cyclists AND the drivers all around you... I know that doesn't make sense to some of you, but it happens.

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
...except you cant be seriously injured or hit by a 4000lb vehicle in muddy trails ;).

No, but angry hikers stringing wire across the a trail is the MTB equivalent of what this guy down in Tennessee did.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
So today's angry motorist story...

i'm going downhill around a turn - probably doing 20 - in the sourlands (lindberg, above ridge road)
there i a storm grate on the right - i pass six inches to the left of it.
car coming up the hill wants to cut the corner tight, and is closer to me than their edge of the road.
rider honks and screams something.

i'm still confuse about that one.
-

few days back, i'm riding with a couple other people coming up on main street in chester from the west.
there are two lanes in that direction. Red traffic light. i'm second wheel and take the lane so nobody tries
to sneak by and make the right, before we get to the light. person goes into the left lane, cuts right in front of us
to make the right. no directional. guess they showed us.

really...

-
friendly motorist story

i'm on old york road, crossing summer rd in readington (behind the wawa, so everyone knows where now?)
car has a stop sign, i see him stop, and it is obviously he is going to wait. I wave thank you.
he turns in behind me, just as he passes, he honks - scares the crap out of me, and waves like
i'm his new best friend.

file under can't win

Top Bottom