Ride single file or else

MMuller

Motherfuck....and this pertains to riding single file, passing, newbs and assholes.

Was just riding on Ocean ave where I employ the lesson I learned the hard way 4 years ago 7/25 - Ocean ave, summer, mid day - JETS OFF! Head west to hammer. Anyway, cruising speed, no prob, heads up as usual. Guy passes on my left, sorta fast, headphones, no warning. Startled but OK, maybe just a bit pissed I got passed ego-wise. Then, 30 seconds later, another bike wails past me, no warning, so close he almost clipped my handlebars. WTF, some kind of hybrid looking bike driven by some out of shape looking Asbury Hipster wanna be, no helmet, earphones, barely pedaling. Didn't make sense. Pissed I stepped on the pedal to express my feelings.

Caught 1st guy and politely, yet pointedly said always a good idea to give a nice "on your left" when passing at a good clip. Guy was totally cool, apologies, my bad. Smile, no worries. On to catch Trendy McTrendster on whatever he's riding. I could not catch him! It didn't make sense. Looked like some kind of beefy hybrid bike or something. He heads west, I think about chasing and say fuck it. Cross over into Ocean Grove where wife is waiting with surfboard. Then think maybe asshat went around the lake. Sure enough here he comes back to Ocean Ave. Give him a signal to stop, slow down. I ride next to him and repeat polite yet pointed message, more pointed because of his speed and how incredibly close he went by me. Guy responds "I don't have to do anything I don't fucking want to do", steps on his pedal and speeds off. Electric bike! I'm fuming but no way to catch him. He's going at least 30 mph down a crowded little local Ocean ave.

On the bright side, I caught wave after wave, perfect, peeling, offshore wind. All's well. Peace and stay safe.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I'm going to teach my kids to say that!

And this is the problem in a nutshell. I'm coaching 8 year old baseball, and talking about rolling the glove over to catch a low ball to the glove side. Kid tells me That I can't tell him what to do because I'm not his parents!!!

Candidate for a stick in the front spokes!

Last edited:

SpartaBard

Explain what exactly? We all understand that vehicular manslaughter is wrong, but how is impeding vehicular traffic on a public road, because you need to talk with your buddy, justifiable? Please explain. Don’t use big words, so my small brain can follow.

Would it be any different if it was a farm tractor or a horse and buggy? Cars don't get priority passes on the road. Wait 10 f-in seconds and pass safely.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
Nobody is disputing that drivers need to exercise a little patience and care when passing a cyclist, but there are tools out there that egregiously ride 2x2 and hog the lane with no intention to move. These are the assholes that make it worse for the rest of us. And then there are the rules:

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

Don't let your kids ride 2x2 either.

rick81721

Lothar
Guy passes on my left, sorta fast, headphones, no warning. Startled but OK, maybe just a bit pissed I got passed ego-wise. Then, 30 seconds later, another bike wails past me, no warning, so close he almost clipped my handlebars. WTF, some kind of hybrid looking bike driven by some out of shape looking Asbury Hipster wanna be, no helmet, earphones, barely pedaling. Didn't make sense. Pissed I stepped on the pedal

Etiquette question here: do people normally call out "passing left" on the road? I just say "hello" as I pass. Never had anyone call out when passing me, as rare as that happens ;)

Had something different happen a few months ago - was cruising at a good clip and for some reason turned to look behind me and there's some guy sitting in my slipstream - didn't even know he was there - startled the shit out of me.

rottin'

Staff member
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Etiquette question here: do people normally call out "passing left" on the road? I just say "hello" as I pass. Never had anyone call out when passing me, as rare as that happens ;)

When I was sort of fast I always called out to people on road as I overtook them, and in the woods as well. But I'm not fast anymore and I forget what that's like:banana: But I still do it when appropriate...

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nobody is disputing that drivers need to exercise a little patience and care when passing a cyclist, but there are tools out there that egregiously ride 2x2 and hog the lane with no intention to move. These are the assholes that make it worse for the rest of us. And then there are the rules:

39:4-14.2, 39:4-10.11 Operating Regulations.
Every person riding a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right roadside as practicable exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction. A bicyclist may move left under any of the following conditions: 1) To make a left turn from a left turn lane or pocket; 2) To avoid debris, drains, or other hazardous conditions on the right; 3) To pass a slower moving vehicle; 4) To occupy any available lane when traveling at the same speed as other traffic; 5) To travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, but otherwise ride in single file. Every person riding a bicycle shall ride in the same direction as vehicular traffic.

In New Jersey, the law states a bicyclist must obey all state and local automobile driving laws. A parent may be held responsible for the child’s violation of any traffic law.

Don't let your kids ride 2x2 either.

No where in that statute does it state that a violation is punishable by death; no where does it state that the operator of a motor vehicle can blast through a bicyclist in violation of said statute. We all choose to violate state statutes while operating motor vehicles and bicycles. It may cost us money but it shouldn't cost us our life.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No where in that statute does it state that a violation is punishable by death; no where does it state that the operator of a motor vehicle can blast through a bicyclist in violation of said statute. We all choose to violate state statutes while operating motor vehicles and bicycles. It may cost us money but it shouldn't cost us our life.

Seriously,. Next time I see someone not use their blinker, I'm gonna fuckin RAM them.

Just kidding Officer :)

Top Bottom