Reviving CheeseQuake trail

MikeyBikey2000

That trail kicked my ass.. its not real enjoyable, at least for me..very rooty and very few stretches to get some speed going. Definitely could not get what little mojo I have going.

k-drive

Don't pay to get in the park. Park next to the parkway. I've never gotten into trouble.

I'll have to start riding here soon as it's on the way home from work. There's a few neat sections, just gotta ride them 3 times over to get a decent workout.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Don't pay to get in the park. Park next to the parkway. I've never gotten into trouble.

I'll have to start riding here soon as it's on the way home from work. There's a few neat sections, just gotta ride them 3 times over to get a decent workout.
I used to do the same thing. Hit me up if uou wanna ride one day. 973-445-3329. I'd usually make it to the commuter lot buy4:15 or so.

Chris Nordt

I've been riding this trail for a few weeks now with some friends that are just getting in to biking, and I actually enjoy it. It's not too long which comes in handy if I don't have a ton of time for a ride, some decent climbs/obstacles, and a few down hills. It's a nice work out for a place I don't have to travel too far to get to. Do any of you guys have a set time/day that you hit this place up? I'de love to get a group ride going.

k-drive

I would be interested in a group ride depending on day/time. earliest for me is 5:30 on weekdays.

qclabrat

I would be interested in a group ride depending on day/time. earliest for me is 5:30 on weekdays.
you must work nearby, with CR so close to your homebase
has the park changed much in the last 5 years since I've been there?
I don't mind messing around for an hour or two while the kids fish or crab

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I've been riding this trail for a few weeks now with some friends that are just getting in to biking, and I actually enjoy it. It's not too long which comes in handy if I don't have a ton of time for a ride, some decent climbs/obstacles, and a few down hills. It's a nice work out for a place I don't have to travel too far to get to. Do any of you guys have a set time/day that you hit this place up? I'de love to get a group ride going.
if
you text me by 4 today I can meet you there around 5:15. If I don't hear from ya I am going to hartshorne. Just shoot me a text the day before you plan to ride. 973-445-3329.

Chris Nordt

if
you text me by 4 today I can meet you there around 5:15. If I don't hear from ya I am going to hartshorne. Just shoot me a text the day before you plan to ride. 973-445-3329.

Thanks for that, I actually live in Elizabeth currently so if I go riding after work I need to have my bike in the car with me already. I work in Clark so leaving from here I'de get there around 5:20 or depending on parkway traffic. It's been a bit chaotic at home though, wife is about to give birth and we are trying to buy a new house, so Ive had to limit my weekday rides lately. I'm actually hitting CQ tomorrow morning at 8:00 with some friends, they are still a little new to this so it isn't the most spirited ride but you are welcome to join us.

MikeyBikey2000

Went there this morning.. its not without its charms.. Seems like I am missing half the ride - the map says its a 3 mile trail but one loop following the white markers was 1.5 miles. I went all the way to where the commuter lot was.. on the map it looks like there are trails to either side. I went looking for them but I didn't spot anything easily. Am I missing an whole section?

Chris Nordt

I've wondered that myself, the white trail is a 1.5 loop but the map says 3 miles.. are they counting it going in both directions?? lol

MikeyBikey2000

Looks like there is more white trail on the trail map at the trailhead and also if you look at Strava... but didn't find it following the white markers.. only thing I saw as a possible path is pretty big climb as you are looping back to cross the road again..Also saw another path off that road when you come in from the commuter lot, but that turned into a dead end with overgrowth.. One thing that is cool is back in October I totally struggled with this trail just in terms of the roots and climbs and today was fine doing it 3 times one way and one time the opposite way.. its not without its challenges with some of the log piles and just rooty turns and what not.. its a big difference though for me to be able to do 3 3 mile loops to get 9 miles than going 6 times around.. that's too annoying lol.

Chris Nordt

Yeah I hear ya there, I'm just getting back in to biking now after being out of it for about 18 years. I just started a few weeks ago, and I need to build myself back up a little slow (recovering from some health issues). I do take pride in the fact that I'm the one waiting for my friends to catch up, and not the other way around haha. I usually only do 1 or 2 runs at cheesequake, going there knowing I typically have a time limit. I would love if it were a bit longer, the same 1.5 mile stretch can get a bit dull no matter which direction you go.

ekim

I don't think you can legally ride the trails above. Only the white trail, Perrine Road and Museum Road. The white trail is currently more like 2.3 miles for the loop vs 3 miles. Even thought it's only 2.3 miles you can still get a pretty good workout there.

[edit]
When you at the road, facing the commuter parking lot there is a log in road near the commuter parking lot. If you are riding towards the commuter parking lot make a right at the log and go up the incline the trail then runs parallel to the road away from the parking lot for about 50 yards or so and then turns left and goes down a small hill....
[/edit]

Last edited:

Chris Nordt

So me and a buddy hit Cheesequake last night for a quick loop, and all that rain has effected the trail a bit. It's nothing crazy, but a few spots have more erosion between roots and around rocks which made the loop a bit more interesting. So just keep an eye out that your usually path may feel different and a bit more bumpy. We both felt a bit more worn out after, but I'm sure the heat took it's toll as well.

scrapes

Looking to get back into it after a shoulder injury a few years back. I hear Cheesequake is an easier trail and I would be basically starting as a beginner (no ego here!). Is there any beginner rides or just go on your own?

walter

Fourth Party
I would say if you can get to allaire you may have a more enjoyable time. While cheesequake is small, it's not very beginner friendly given the fact that the trails aren't well maintained.

Chris Nordt

Cheesequake is a short trail, but can be a little rough lol.. I actually live 2 minutes away so if you are up for a ride let me know and I'll take you for a tour.

Top Bottom