Reviving a trail on red

stilluf

On the official map there’s a marked trail on Red, it connects from the left(east) uphill to lower trail (ie along reservoir). I’ve been looking for it, today I found it. It’s marked, but looks like an old fire road blocked by multiple tree blow downs.
The pic below is from lower red looking uphill (south)
This is a great opportunity to get a ‘new’ trail at CR. It would need a substainable re-route, and some tree clearing. But definitely doable.

Attachments

• 9A007B8C-E353-44B3-BF25-CE905DDE853F.jpeg
    9A007B8C-E353-44B3-BF25-CE905DDE853F.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 244

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That's been closed since Sandy. I don't think the park wants it opened up.
Didn't we put a re route in to the right(closer to chimney rock rd)of the closed trail? If I recall the old trail was kinda bland. The newer one is less fall line and more softball size rocks.

I thought there was talk of putting in another trail to the right of the trail we did, using the sidehill and benching in a trail.

stilluf

Didn't we put a re route in to the right(closer to chimney rock rd)of the closed trail? If I recall the old trail was kinda bland. The newer one is less fall line and more softball size rocks.

I thought there was talk of putting in another trail to the right of the trail we did, using the sidehill and benching in a trail.
Don't know....but it's still marked on the official map, so in my (attorney) mind it's still "open", but needs to be cleared. And yes it looks like a fireroad/fall line trail, so would need a re-route. Whatever it's status, my point is that maybe the county would be open to re-routing/re-opening this or one of the blue connector trails?

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Whatever it's status, my point is that maybe the county would be open to re-routing/re-opening this or one of the blue connector trails?
We did re route the red trail in question, the red trail with softball sized rocks running parallel to old fire road fall line was the re route. I'm not sure if maps have been updated, much has been re routed as well as added over the last 5yrs that are not indicated on maps. There are however color blazings done by the county on all legal recognized trails.

alex_k

Don't know....but it's still marked on the official map, so in my (attorney) mind it's still "open", but needs to be cleared. And yes it looks like a fireroad/fall line trail, so would need a re-route. Whatever it's status, my point is that maybe the county would be open to re-routing/re-opening this or one of the blue connector trails?
That map does not have any of 3 high tech trails so should we stop riding them?
I met a disoriented hiker with outdated official map at Allamuchy yesterday. He complained about all nice reroutes because the white is supposed to be straight.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
As Glen stated, this trail was closed after Sandy. The park decided not to open it back up as it was basically redundant to the trail just east (which has since been rerouted). It was literally a road, coming straight down the hill. Washed & rutted out, hardly used and was a stones throw away from the other trail (prior to us rerouting it further east). The terrain in that area is nothing great, lots of those big pines, so not appealing to work with. Anyway, I have at least 1 -2 years of projects & a bunch of ideas after that, so not looking to add to that list right now.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions