Resumes

rick81721

Lothar
Basics per above are still the norm. Experience is the most important (at least from our perspective) so that should be your focus. I don't even look at objective, it's usually hackneyed/lame. If you want to send one for a review just pm. Good luck!

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Not in HR or anything but I recently moved companies.
One thing I found was that I was contacted more often when I added a "summary" section on my resume. Basically a brief recap of my experiences. Such as 15 yrs doing a, b, c and have experience in area e, f, g and trained in x, y, z.

Good luck in your job search!

The Kalmyk

Agree with @rick81721 . Experience is the meat unless your fresh out of school.

In my case, how important is what I learned 20 years ago in a classroom vs. real world experience of the last 5years.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Do not put anything on there that isn't true. Instant no-go if they find out.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Paging @ChrisRU (I think)

The basic list you have sounds good, and +1 on the summary, up at the top with objective.
That and experience are going to be the big sellers.
Think about selling yourself- what does the employer want?
Frame what you got like what they need.
Same with your cover letter- I think the cover letter and first page of your resume as the chance to make a first impression.

-YETI-

Where possible, quantify value- such as 'Lead for project X that decreased internal costs by 10% and increased customer satisfaction by 22% '. If in sales, even easier- just show annual revenue attainment and % quota.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I wouldn't claim a degree or certification you don't have,
or fudge employment dates or anything verifiable.
As Pat says, it's easy to verify these days.

Skills, responsibilities, scope of responsibility maybe you can be boastful on.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The reality is that it's somewhat random based on who is looking at it. You more or less have 2 classes of job search:

1. I need someone to fill this role and there are 1000 candidates
2. I need real experience with this role

In case 1, you will get 1000 resumes and at a certain point you start just making shit up to pare them out. You might say that you are throwing out all resumes where the last name begins with a vowel today. Or whatever. Often in these cases you need a reference to get in the door. In a sense the format matters but really, 2 people will look for 2 different "gotchas" to cut you out. This is where almost all the Internet information comes from about resumes. All the resume/interview tips. Because here it matters more.

2. Fuck it, write your resume on a napkin because the guy hiring you has a real need and if you have the experience they won't care if it's in pig latin. Often times there will be 2-5 people applying for the job. They're not throwing anything out.

I don't know you well but I feel like you are tending towards group #2 in your career but that's just a guess based on knowing you through a forum for a bunch of years.

On another note, I have been part of interviews (we used to do group interviews) where the resume/answers/competency is almost meaningless. One of my old bosses clearly chose the worse of 2 candidates once just because he didn't like 1 guy. As expected the guy turned out to be a total dud. So you can do everything right and if the hiring manager doesn't like your socks, well you're screwed.

RobW

the best thing you can do to stand out in a resume is to have KEY words that target EXACTLY what they are looking for. For instance, if it was a job shoveling shit, you would say you have no sense of smell and grew up shoveling shit... THATS the guy who gets the job....

J-Dro

Where possible, quantify value- such as 'Lead for project X that decreased internal costs by 10% and increased customer satisfaction by 22% '. If in sales, even easier- just show annual revenue attainment and % quota.

This. Don't just list a bunch of things you were responsible for. Show results and quantify them, even if the numbers aren't precise.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
One other thing to consider: many companies now use online submission forms that are going to rip your resume apart along specific fuzzy search items related to job requirements so they can auto-load a template of their own. Sometimes this works really smoothly and other times not so much. Even if it does work, though, those kind of auto pre-screening algorithms can be a problem for you because you may never pass the basic online culling that is looking for exact matches to key words. If you are doing any online submissions, be really careful to review the upload material before you submit. You could be applying for a job called "RLB's Perfect Job" but if it doesn't pass that initial automatic pre-screening or if they can't make sense of what was submitted, you won't even get a call-back. I know it's a colossal PIA (especially if you are applying for multiple jobs online) but what I would do in that case is manually fill out the online info and then just add your actual resume as a separate attachment at the bottom (usually, there is a separate area to submit additional credentials, memberships, certifications, etc. -- that's where I'd put my actual resume.) That doesn't help if you don't know the exact terms the pre-screening will select, but you have a pretty good chance of figuring that out if you read through the posting and look for what is considered a "requirement" or what is consider "key skills" or stuff like that. What it comes down to is that you need to split your thinking -- as you are submitting online, you need to think like a computer to ensure you have the right words, and if you get the interview, you want to be much less rigid when you actually speak with reall people.

I don't work in HR, but where I work we divide up interviews into eight different parts, and I have kind of been the default guy to do "analytical skill" interviews for the last 10 years. I know for a fact that our online algorithms for selecting candidates don't always work properly because I've had co-workers who knew the exact things we work with here apply for jobs as a move within the department and they didn't even make the list of interviewees because they didn't have the "right" terms on their resume. So be as thoughtful as you can on the words you use - match them to the job itself as much as possible before you apply, that might mean you end up with a dozen different iterations of your resume for a dozen different applications, but it's worth it if you get the call back.

jackx

Yes I'm a CYA guy to begin with so I'm not taking much liberty on what I'm stating. Everything I've stated on my resume are things I've actually done so I'm not worried on that part. Just don't want to get "lost in the shuffle"

I recommend starting with the roles and responsibilities in the job description for your current title, or the one above yours if that is what you are actually doing. then add or delete as appropriate. Since corporate job descriptions may have been written & reviewed by a team of people, they may have used concise wording that might be very helpful for your resume.

the best thing you can do to stand out in a resume is to have KEY words that target EXACTLY what they are looking for. For instance, if it was a job shoveling shit, you would say you have no sense of smell and grew up shoveling shit... THATS the guy who gets the job....

When applying for a specific job, you can use some of the wording from the new job description if it fits your experience or skills.

If you have an "Objective" section, you can tailor that to the specific job description/company you are applying to.

Good luck!

ChrisRU

I work in HR. I'm not on the recruiting/acquisition side but I do have some exposure to it. There is no right way to do a resume. There are some rules that can't be broken (no typos, include contact info, etc.) but overall you want it to be clean and easy to navigate.

One page has been the norm for years now, but multiple pages are becoming more acceptable if you have real and applicable experience to justify it. No one cares about your GPA or course work if you have work experience, but include your academic credentials after your work experience. Many people still use a chronological format, but putting your work experience that is most applicable to the position you are applying to can work well too.

You will get mixed views on objectives/summaries. I tend to think they are just a waste of space on a resume. Generic objectives like "Motivated [job role] professional with years of experience in [industry] looking for a new opportunity where I can add value to your organization" tells me nothing. You applied for the job, I already know that. Your resume should concisely tell me about your experience. To J-Dro's point, quantify if you can. A well done cover letter is your opportunity to speak beyond your resume. Cover letters can really differentiate and give a hiring manager more insight on what you have to offer.

To Norm's and 1speed's points, job hunting can be a bit of a crap shoot when relying on just resumes and applications. It doesn't hurt to broadcast and put yourself out there, but try to frame your job hunt as a search for a person, rather than a job. Networking can open doors to opportunities that you won't otherwise find. A lot of job openings never make it to the "open" market. Good luck.

Mr.Moto

@ChrisRU is spot on with suggestions. I am appalled by some of the resumes that come my way - typo's, inconsistent format and difficult to read ones just makes me want to toss it out.

Pick a simple format that you like and use it consistently through the resume.
Keep the font a simple and easy to read size.
Objectives / Skills are fillers on a resume unless you can detail how these relate to the position you are applying. A cover letter is better for relaying this information.
You can provide factual accomplishments in bullet form along with your job description. Use action words to start the sentence like Increased, Exceeded, Created, Designed, Developed, Managed.
If you can, tailor your resume / cover letter for a specific job.
Proofread it, then have someone else proofread it.

Good luck.

Top Bottom