Repacking Hubs

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Most hubs have 1/4" bearings for the rear and 3/8" in the front? Is that correct?

At this point I have so many damn wheels I'm just going to buy 100 counts of bearings. I picked up 1/4" because I thought both hubs were the same but then read something about the front being 3/8".

anrothar

entirely thrilled
hhmm, don't know if that's true. most of my wheels these days have sealed bearings. repack em once a year for a couple of years, then pop em out and replace.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
hhmm, don't know if that's true. most of my wheels these days have sealed bearings. repack em once a year for a couple of years, then pop em out and replace.

Really? Damn. The one hub I did do was a road wheel, maybe 6 years old, maybe more. I hate to tear something apart then have it sit there for 2 weeks while the slow boat comes with the bearings.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
i know you get em cheaper online, but almost every shop has a drawer full of loose ball bearings of nearly every bicycle applicable size.

Last edited:

anrothar

entirely thrilled
not likely, as there are too many different dimensions for different parts. thay'll probably have a few, but can get in almost any size you need within a week.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
We have said drawer of bearings...And since so many things are sealed, we also have another said drawer filled with those as well...We've also been doing Phil Wood ceramic bearings for more common things like outboard BB's and Mavic wheelsets...

Top Bottom