Raritan 911: Robocop

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm surprised no one commented that there were no cops in the pictures at that car accident. We were all up on the road discussing lunch plans while the FD and rescue squad did their thing. The only thing we needed was the insurance card out of the glove box and the DL of the driver.

Mad Cat

I was at a residence for an unrelated call when I smelled natural gas in the residence. It wasn't strong but it was there. I called for the FD. FD arrives, smells it, but it's not registering on their meters and the appliances all have pilot lights working, etc. So, the FD calls the gas company. I hang out as it's an older homeowner and I want to make sure she's safe/comfortable before I bail. So I wait for the Elizabethtown Gas dudeman to arrive. While we wait, I play with the dog and the cat at the residence.

Gasman arrives, does his checks, meter doesn't register anything. HVAC was replaced a month ago, so maybe it needs adjustment or it's not installed 100% correctly. Gasman pulls out the gas stove, confirms no leaks in the flex pipe. He goes back downstairs to check the furnace again.

The cat notices the stove looks different and starts sniffing around and rubbing up against the stove and the burners.

The resident asks me what weird stuff I've ever seen on the job...just making conversation while we wait.

Gasman confirms all is well and shoves the stove back against the wall and heads towards the front door where we are standing. All three of us start hearing the cat go ape-shit. Like blood-curdling screams. We immediately start looking around for the dog, thinking the dog is attacking the cat. The dog is in the living room with his head cocked wondering why the cat is screaming bloody murder, just like we are.

I peek into the kitchen and I see the stove rocking back and forth. Holy shit, the cat is behind the stove. I pull the stove out about a foot and the cat comes flying out of the back of the stove and bolts up the stairs, never to be seen by me again.

I'm laughing, the homeowner can't believe it, and the gasman is stumbling over his words trying to apologize to the homeowner. As I left I told the homeowner this story was going into the "weird stuff" category that she was asking about.

Last edited:

huffster

Is it me or is the FD taking extreme measures in these pics with all the ladders and such? I say this because you have people standing on the bank right near the driver's door. So, I'm thinking how about we just open that door and get the driver out the easy way. Maybe they are just testing out all the tools and training they have? I have some friends on my local FD that like to cut cars open, will find any excuse to repel, break out the boats, etc.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm surprised no one commented that there were no cops in the pictures at that car accident. We were all up on the road discussing lunch plans while the FD and rescue squad did their thing. The only thing we needed was the insurance card out of the glove box and the DL of the driver.

Mad Cat

I was at a residence for an unrelated call when I smelled natural gas in the residence. It wasn't strong but it was there. I called for the FD. FD arrives, smells it, but it's not registering on their meters and the appliances all have pilot lights working, etc. So, the FD calls the gas company. I hang out as it's an older homeowner and I want to make sure she's safe/comfortable before I bail. So I wait for the Elizabethtown Gas dudeman to arrive. While we wait, I play with the dog and the cat at the residence.

Gasman arrives, does his checks, meter doesn't register anything. HVAC was replaced a month ago, so maybe it needs adjustment or it's not installed 100% correctly. Gasman pulls out the gas stove, confirms no leaks in the flex pipe. He goes back downstairs to check the furnace again.

The cat notices the stove looks different and starts sniffing around and rubbing up against the stove and the burners.

The resident asks me what weird stuff I've ever seen on the job...just making conversation while we wait.

Gasman confirms all is well and shoves the stove back against the wall and heads towards the front door where we are standing. All three of us start hearing the cat go ape-shit. Like blood-curdling screams. We immediately start looking around for the dog, thinking the dog is attacking the cat. The dog is in the living room with his head cocked wondering why the cat is screaming bloody murder, just like we are.

I peek into the kitchen and I see the stove rocking back and forth. Holy shit, the cat is behind the stove. I pull the stove out about a foot and the cat comes flying out of the back of the stove and bolts up the stairs, never to be seen by me again.

I'm laughing, the homeowner can't believe it, and the gasman is stumbling over his words trying to apologize to the homeowner. As I left I told the homeowner this story was going into the "weird stuff" category that she was asking about.

So.... You didn't really smell anything? Wtf. Your fault the cat almost cooked!!

Fire Lord Jim

Raritan Twp rescue squad has a rescue boat. Only it doesn't have any water, besides a few hundred yards of Raritan River that is knee deep judging from the fly fishermen. I think it is all about the toys.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it me or is the FD taking extreme measures in these pics with all the ladders and such? I say this because you have people standing on the bank right near the driver's door. So, I'm thinking how about we just open that door and get the driver out the easy way. Maybe they are just testing out all the tools and training they have? I have some friends on my local FD that like to cut cars open, will find any excuse to repel, break out the boats, etc.

Yes and no. The driver tried to self-extricate prior to our arrival and the vehicle shifted further into the water and the driver's foot got stuck under the brake pedal. Once they had stabilized the vehicle, yes, they probably could have had him come out on his own or with a little assistance. I do think they took the opportunity to use it as a training exercise to do the full monty with ladders and ropes. Whether that is a good thing or not is not my area of expertise; as discussed earlier I was making lunch plans. I will say I sometimes find it frustrating when others judge my decisions without knowing all the facts or having the proper training, so I try not to do that to others.

For clarification, our Rescue Squad handles heavy, rope, high angle, confined space, and other rescues, not our FD. Our RS has been requested in other counties (Warren and Morris are instances that I can remember) so I think they have a pretty good reputation within Central NJ.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
is it me or is the FD taking extreme measures in these pics with all the ladders and such?
Yeah, what Carson said...also just from being on construction sites over the years I've seen things go from frying pan to the fire. In these scenarios you have to really go over board with safety procedures and stop and slow down, think to make sure no further harm or damage occurs. We've all seen the videos on the internets of things getting worse on an accident scene, which usually occurs because someone didn't take the time to think.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'm sure, just like our bike pics, that it is steeper than it looks.
wonder if they left the ladder in place so the tow guy could hook the car?

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
i'm sure, just like our bike pics, that it is steeper than it looks.
wonder if they left the ladder in place so the tow guy could hook the car?

Ladder was used for personnel to walk up and down without slipping/falling. They took the driver out on a basket/stokes and pulled him up the ladder on it. It was pretty slick, to be honest.

It was pretty steep and extra sloppy with all the rain and snow melt.

Tim

aka sptimmy43
Umm, making a car accident victim run? lawsuit?

Which is exactly what's wrong with our society! When you run from the police you give up your right to be treated in the manner you would like.
It's insane even thinking a lawsuit like that would make it to court....sad that it's probably true.

It really bothers me how the police have become demonized over the last few years.

ilnadi

th
Which is exactly what's wrong with our society! When you run from the police you give up your right to be treated in the manner you would like.
It's insane even thinking a lawsuit like that would make it to court....sad that it's probably true.

It really bothers me how the police have become demonized over the last few years.
guy who ran got whatever he deserved. the other guy was just standing there looking bewildered.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
From the annals of Raritan Township Police...

Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ approximately 5:18 PM - Police arrested Han H. Lee, age 39, of Philadelphia, P.A. Lee was charged with Shoplifting $359.88 worth of crab meat from the Shop-Rite in Flemington. Lee was released after processing pending a Court date. Investigation and arrest conducted by Ptl. Margaret Hammond.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ approximately 5:18 PM - Police arrested Han H. Lee, age 39, of Philadelphia, P.A. Lee was charged with Shoplifting $359.88 worth of crab meat from the Shop-Rite in Flemington. Lee was released after processing pending a Court date. Investigation and arrest conducted by Ptl. Margaret Hammond.
They must of run out of crab meat at Phillys NoBu. Flemington is a long way to travel with crab meat just saying.

rick81721

Lothar

How do you shoplift 10+ lbs of crab meat?

Top Bottom