Raritan 911: Robocop

Is it a crime to mutilate a deer carcass? I've seen quite a few dead bucks along the road with their heads or antlers missing

This was a hunted deer, so totally legal. You aren't supposed to pull a road kill without a permit, which I will gladly give you at HQ. But I don't think anyone really cares anymore and they are game laws enforced by Fish, Game, and Wildlife officers.

@Carson ,

I've been reading the local police blotters recently and it seems like almost every traffic stop includes a heroin bust. Are half the people in Hunterdon county riding around with dope in the car? WTF?

@Carson ,

I've been reading the local police blotters recently and it seems like almost every traffic stop includes a heroin bust. Are half the people in Hunterdon county riding around with dope in the car? WTF?

Or up their rectums. There tends to always be a bump in activity before the holidays. We've had foot pursuits and suicides and some good domestics and pedestrians keep getting mowed down. As for the narcotics, it's the typical bump in activity but also that there are two new K-9s in the area. One is fantastic. The other I am pretty sure I could do a line of coke off it's snout and it would just lick my face.

I would have to assume that the routine traffic stops that don't involve heroin are too boring and generally don't make it into the police blotter.

Jerky Twins

Tonight, Flemington was dispatched to a guy masterbating in the bathroom of a salon. Long story short, the guy used some complimentary hand lotion and tissues and left his seed on the floor. It was discovered by the staff shortly after he left, so we assisted Flemington PD by checking the area for the jerker or his vehicle.

After a few minutes, one of the Flemington cops found a guy sitting in a car with no lights on in a parking lot close to the salon and decided to investigate further. He walked up on foot, turned on his flashlight, and found the guy in the driver's seat masterbating. Boom...good police work right? Caught red-handed (so to speak), right?

Flemington PD asked the salon manager to walk outside and identify the jerker. The manager said, "No that's not him. Doesn't look anything like him."

So instead of one serial masturbator it turns out we had two separate guys pleasuring themselves in public at nearly the same time.

Happy Holidays from Flemington!!

The last 2 times I got pulled over by cops, I decided to say a few stupid words instead of just sitting there dumb silent. Both times, they let me go with warnings. These are the only 2 times I've gotten off with warnings. Are cops more likely to let you go if you sound dumb?

Incident 1:
Cop: Why were you going so fast?
Me: You know it was a big hill and it's a heavy car just keeps rolling and rolling.

Incident 2:
Cop: You had to do that right in front of me? You didn't see me?
Me: Well I didn't know you were there. You have an unmarked car. I thought I could do a k-turn here.
Cop: On a state highway, with double yellow lines?

I'm still unclear on if I did something illegal with incident #2.

The last 2 times I got pulled over by cops, I decided to say a few stupid words instead of just sitting there dumb silent. Both times, they let me go with warnings. These are the only 2 times I've gotten off with warnings. Are cops more likely to let you go if you sound dumb?

Incident 1:
Cop: Why were you going so fast?
Me: You know it was a big hill and it's a heavy car just keeps rolling and rolling.

Incident 2:
Cop: You had to do that right in front of me? You didn't see me?
Me: Well I didn't know you were there. You have an unmarked car. I thought I could do a k-turn here.
Cop: On a state highway, with double yellow lines?

I'm still unclear on if I did something illegal with incident #2.

No you just got lucky. I tend to reward stupidity with paperwork that includes my autograph. I'm more receptive to you telling me you knew what you did was illegal but you didn't see me or just made a mistake. With me, sob stories usually end with you having something more to cry about. This is NJ. We all violate traffic laws. Admit that and we can both get on with our respective days. But every cop is different, for sure.

In #2, unless there was a no u-turn sign, you cut someone off, impeded the flow of traffic with a 17-point k-turn, or there was a visibility issue, it doesn't sound like you violated state statute.

39:4-125. Improper U turn Turning on curve, grade or place where view obstructed or State highway marked with no U turn sign Turning on curve, grade or place where view obstructed or State highway marked with no U turn sign. The driver of a vehicle shall not turn such vehicle around so as to proceed in the opposite direction upon any curve or upon the approach to or near the crest of a grade or at any place upon a highway as defined in R.S. 39:1-1 where the view of such vehicle is obstructed within a distance of five hundred feet along the highway in either direction; and no such vehicle shall be turned around so as to proceed in the opposite direction on a highway which shall be conspicuously marked with signs stating no U turn.

No you just got lucky. I tend to reward stupidity with paperwork that includes my autograph. I'm more receptive to you telling me you knew what you did was illegal but you didn't see me or just made a mistake. With me, sob stories usually end with you having something more to cry about. This is NJ. We all violate traffic laws. Admit that and we can both get on with our respective days. But every cop is different, for sure.

In #2, unless there was a no u-turn sign, you cut someone off, impeded the flow of traffic with a 17-point k-turn, or there was a visibility issue, it doesn't sound like you violated state statute.

39:4-125. Improper U turn Turning on curve, grade or place where view obstructed or State highway marked with no U turn sign Turning on curve, grade or place where view obstructed or State highway marked with no U turn sign. The driver of a vehicle shall not turn such vehicle around so as to proceed in the opposite direction upon any curve or upon the approach to or near the crest of a grade or at any place upon a highway as defined in R.S. 39:1-1 where the view of such vehicle is obstructed within a distance of five hundred feet along the highway in either direction; and no such vehicle shall be turned around so as to proceed in the opposite direction on a highway which shall be conspicuously marked with signs stating no U turn.

doesn't the double yellow create a problem (probably unintentional,) about making lefts or u-turns?
As in I have to cross one to get in my driveway.....i know they are specific to passing, but in NJ there is some weird interpretation
that can be used to punish teenagers, when nothing else fits, and they deserve a hassle....(most of them do :D - trust me.)

remember this from some argument (not with an officer) about pulling into a driveway, and had to look it up. This is made worse by places where there
are gaps in the double yellow to show where turning is "prefered" (??)

---

i've also had a careless reduced to an obstructing for being nice. no lawyer required. (i think i told that story somewhere on here)

---

are officers "graded" on the quality of tickets? as in appropriate, or don't stick because of 'not correct' or 'technicalities'? - or is that two different things?

At least it's live. (30-40 minute delay). It makes it harder to edit it with an agenda.

I'd love to work for a show like that. Adrenaline rush .

doesn't the double yellow create a problem (probably unintentional,) about making lefts or u-turns?
As in I have to cross one to get in my driveway.....i know they are specific to passing, but in NJ there is some weird interpretation
that can be used to punish teenagers, when nothing else fits, and they deserve a hassle....(most of them do :D - trust me.)

remember this from some argument (not with an officer) about pulling into a driveway, and had to look it up. This is made worse by places where there
are gaps in the double yellow to show where turning is "prefered" (??)

---

i've also had a careless reduced to an obstructing for being nice. no lawyer required. (i think i told that story somewhere on here)

---

are officers "graded" on the quality of tickets? as in appropriate, or don't stick because of 'not correct' or 'technicalities'? - or is that two different things?

I don't know of anything that prohibits you from making a left turn across a double-yellow as long as it's done safely and you yield to oncoming traffic and signal your intention to turn. The double-yellow only indicates no passing traffic traveling in the same direction as you.

Not sure what exactly you are saying but if as an experienced officer you can't find a reason to stop a car you want to stop, you really aren't very good at your job. You don't even have to commit a motor vehicle violation to get stopped (suspicious vehicle; weaving within your lane) so it's not rocket science. You shouldn't have to make things up.

Reducing a careless to obstruction in the Geo isn't being nice. It's taking pity on you.

Grading probably depends on the department. We don't at all. Write whatever statutes you want; give any breaks on the road you want. 20 speeding summonses or 20 window tint tickets...all the same at our place. I do know some PDs look a little closer at it and compare radar, moving, and parking summonses. I'm not sure why other than to micromanage a little bit.

At one point, mostly out of curiosity, my administration looked at the roadways summons were issued on. The vast majority of the department wrote 80% of their summonses on our state highways (202, 31, and 12). 80% of mine were on municipal and county roads. I was asked about it and my response was that I don't give shit if some dude is speeding on a state highway where there are more defined traffic controls, reduced pedestrian traffic, and wider roadways. To me, someone doing 75mph on a roadway designed for 55mph traffic is less of a risk than someone doing 45mph in a 25mph. I haven't ever been asked about it again so I suppose my response was reasonable.

Last edited:
The double-yellow only indicates no passing traffic traveling in the same direction as you.

And yet so many drivers, including the Lebanon PD btw, refuse to cross it when I’m riding my bike near my house. You’d think it was a line of tire spikes.
I almost got clipped twice by these clowns.

Sorry. Rant over.

This reminds me of the curb your enthusiasm episode where Larry gets a ticket for honking at a cop in front of him who didn't start driving when the light turned green.

And yet so many drivers, including the Lebanon PD btw, refuse to cross it when I’m riding my bike near my house. You’d think it was a line of tire spikes.
I almost got clipped twice by these clowns.

Sorry. Rant over.

Lebanon Township

We have a internal text messaging system on our computer-aided dispatch system that everyone uses in the County. I can live chat with anyone logged on in any patrol car or in any police station. It's very convenient. Recently, word came down through the County that Lebanon Township hired a young, attractive female officer.

One of the older, married Readington officers sends her this nice, friendly message. Hey welcome to the area, feel free to call if you need anything, don't hesitate to stop by, blah blah...you can imagine. Unfortunately for him, he hit the CHAT ALL button instead of the CHAT button and the message went to everyone logged on in the County. Poor guy has been getting his balls busted for months.

Back
Top Bottom