Rapha Clothing

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Yeah finally scored my first rapha classic bibs! I am on my way to brokesville.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
More stuff....

With my birthday being a few weeks ago, I was showered with gifts from Rapha. Actually, since the stuff is so freaking expensive, I was showered with like 3 gifts that made of the majority of gifts received from all parties. In any case, I added my reviews above for the merino hat, winter socks, overmitts, as well as the merino base layer, deep winter tights and classic winter tights, which I fleabayed at some point.

Merino Hat
I have lusted over this hat since last year and finally got on. Thin merino wool hat that is doubled up over the ears. Doesn’t get too hot in the low 40’s and feels good in the mid 20’s but have not tested lower than that to date. It’s a hat, not much to say other than that it is exceptional craftsmanship and is exactly what I expected and was look for in terms of temp range. Reversible so it looks like you spent $110 on 2 hats and not just $55 on one! Win, win!

Winter Socks
Similar to the merino socks, they are exceptional quality and out of the package just feel softer then your regular wool sock. Noticeably thicker wool on the foot and toes of the sock and they come up to about mid-low calf. Haven’t tested much yet but they are warm and feel nice.

Overmitts
A few years ago, I bucked up for the Assos glove system and haven’t looked back since. The glove systems are superior for so many reasons (we layer every other part of our body, why not the hands?) and I can’t say I didn’t get alittle chub when I saw the raphe ones debut. One thing about the assos lobster shells and the pearl izumo lobster mitts is that when it rains, they turn into 10oz boxing gloves since they absorb water like a sponge. Actually I am fairly certain Assos outer fabric is design to absorb water. Enter Rapha’s glove, which is covered in a thin rubber and has a rubber palm. Out of the box they feel stiff and may need some working in. Haven’t really had a chance to test them in the rain, but they didn’t feel like they had the temp range of the assos gloves when worn with a light glove and liner (assos ones), but more testing is needed. No doubt they will be superior in the rain. They also have a fabric thumb for wiping snot, which is far better than the sandpaper exterior the assos gloves have. However, the snot wiping fabric is on top and base of the thumb, which makes it alittle weird for wiping your nose. Even in Rapha’s picture with the chick wiping her nose, it looks awkard. I wanted to try them with the winter glove, but they are all sold out and probably will be through the season.

Merino Base Layer
Super thin wool, like super, super thin. Not snuggy like craft base layers but after you get warmed up the warmth retention and sweat removal is superb. Not to be worn other than for a base layer and durability may be an issue because so super thin.

Classic Winter Tights
Super soft Roubaix fabric and very fitted. If you are on the border of M/L, size up. Compression is good and these are warmer than other tights I have for some reason, probably because of how fucking hot I look in them.

Deep Winter Tights
More robust version of bib tights compared to the classic tights. Wind blocking panels on the front and similar to other tights with wind blocker, this decreases the flexibility of the fabric a little bit. Just fleabayed these and got them yesterday. Only tried them on and pranced around the house for a while and they felt good, I would say slightly less form fitting than the classic tights. Updated review to come after some cold weather.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
bawlin son. bawlin.

what of the ralpha stuff is worth splurging on vs not? wouldn't all merino and winter socks all be the same? does ralpha raise different sheep?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
The shorts are high on the list as well as the classic jersey. The jersey maybe a tad higher as it is a purchase that is going to last years. The hat and merino are lower cost and just peachy.

The merino and winter socks are different. The merino are super thin and good for 40-70 degrees. The winter socks are much thicker and taller. The footbed and toes are specially thick. I would say these are like 40 and below but 40 would be pushing it until conditions are rainy.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
bawlin son. bawlin.

what of the ralpha stuff is worth splurging on vs not? wouldn't all merino and winter socks all be the same? does ralpha raise different sheep?

Rapha is not for you Pearl... Trust me. For the price you pay, you'll expect small miracles.

I have the Merino Hat as well and can vouch for its awesomeness. Its not just a bike hat either which makes it even better.

I have the new winter jersey which is sweet, but I got a tear in it when riding singletrack in Virginia. But fear not, I sent it to Rapha for a free repair! It got the tear really easily, so when I get it back I will likely not wear it on the MTB anymore. (Kitsbow jacket is on the christmas list)

As for a review of the jersey, Its sweet as you would expect. lots of pockets and quality zippers. The vents are large and really help you to regulate the temperature. Like with all Rapha stuff, there's just something about it that makes you feel good when you wear it. Really hard to explain. After years of wearing cheap shit from chainlove sales, wearing some luxury is a nice change of pace.

BiknBen

I'm wearing my Merino Base Layer now. Just sayin.:D

I wore this base layer and the just the rain jacket on Thanksgiving morning. Sub-freezing and my upper body was cozy.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Can any of our Rapha-istas comment on their experience with how the stuff fits, relative to other brands you've worn?

I have a couple of their caps, and a t-shirt, and the shirt is one size larger than what I usually wear. I'm assuming the cycling garments would follow suit, but I've yet to pull the trigger on any.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Rapha-istas

I like that, haha.

I have found the size to be "american" insetad of euro but I think the t-shirts don't follow that. In any case, I am a perfect medium in Rapha jerseys and shorts, where I am on the fence with say, Castelli between MD/LG and typically go with a large. Most of their jerseys/shorts are between a race and club cut.

The Pro Team Rapha stuff is a race cut for certian. I sized up in the shorts and they still have considerable compression.

BiknBen

Reading this thread is costing me a lot of money! ;)

They threw in a free feed bag. Of course, they refer to it as a Complementary Musette (said with a French Accent). :popcorn:

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I have 4 musettes. Wish I had something to do with them

jShort

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The closest I come to baking bread is French bread pizza

SpartaBard

Anyone have either the Winter Gloves or the Deep Winter Gloves and can give me a comparison?

I am leaning toward the regular "winter gloves".

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Anyone have either the Winter Gloves or the Deep Winter Gloves and can give me a comparison?

I am leaning toward the regular "winter gloves".

I just ordered the winter gloves so I will let you know next week. Note that xl are sold out and large say low stock and no deliveries for the season. Last week large was sold out too. So I assume at this point you are waiting for people I do returns.

My guess is winter gloves get you to 30-32 degrees. Deep winter to mid 20. Deep winter look to bulky to me.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
On that same note, anything with rapha that is special addition or seasonal (winter) sells out very quick for popular sizes. Since they have free returns, a lot of his may be due to people buying multiple sizes an then returning the ones that don't fit, but it is impossible to tell when they will hit the system again and I have found the notify thing doesn't work very well

BiknBen

Can any of our Rapha-istas comment on their experience with how the stuff fits, relative to other brands you've worn?

Their return policy is solid. This time last year, I bought $1,500 worth of stuff and sent $1,200 back. I'm about to do something similar. The jacket pictured above doesn't fit as well as I'd like. I ordered by the size of my Rapha rain jacket that fits awesome. This team stuff is a little more snugly (which they explain in the product description). I just ordered the next size up. Should have ordered both all at once but didn't expect the size to be so different. Regardless, at least one, possible both will be going back if I don't like the fit.

The first one is so close. At my height and skinniness, the damn pockets are higher than I'd prefer. Likely acceptable but... The fit is also snug enough that only the thinnest base layers will fit underneath. While riding or if I put on even a few pounds, those pockets and the fit may not work out. I want to try the next size up before committing.

While ordering extra and returning is a hassle. It is as good or better than doing relatively random size conversions or advice from others.

Last edited:

SpartaBard

I just ordered the winter gloves so I will let you know next week. Note that xl are sold out and large say low stock and no deliveries for the season. Last week large was sold out too. So I assume at this point you are waiting for people I do returns.

My guess is winter gloves get you to 30-32 degrees. Deep winter to mid 20. Deep winter look to bulky to me.

Sold out big sizes are not an issue for me, I need small gloves. That was my thought too about the deep winter gloves which is why I am leaning toward the reg winter gloves. I may get them for Christmas. I may also get the liner which should fit beneath the winter glove which may get me a few more degrees.

Top Bottom