Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Now this is buggin' me. when I look at my post it looks like this.

Capture1.JPG

when I go to edit it the pictures are fullsize & fine. I want to know what everyone else sees, pictures or boxes?

Thanks for the reply, must just be my computer/system that doesn't show the pictures
Are there supposed to be three photos, Pete? When I first saw your post, the one photo noted above by @Paul H was visible, but I didn't see any other photos. As it turns out, when I now go back to your post, I don't see any of the photo(s)...so, maybe something is amiss?? On the other hand, your previous posts seem to have visible photos...

Are there supposed to be three photos, Pete? When I first saw your post, the one photo noted above by @Paul H was visible, but I didn't see any other photos. As it turns out, when I now go back to your post, I don't see any of the photo(s)...so, maybe something is amiss?? On the other hand, your previous posts seem to have visible photos...
There should be 3 photos, somethin's fishy, since I went to https:// the new secure site, photos have been crazy. Like I said, when I post them they look fine, as soon as I "save" and look again they are gone, replaced by the small boxes. I didn't know if it was just the way it looked for me, or for everyone. I think my only work around is to post them as attachments that have to be clicked on to see, rather than imbed them in the post. ghosts!
thanks for letting me know

Run an update at your end. Either the browser or OS or both

I'd guess it is a cache management issue.

Also try to reload the page a couple times.

I had a nice ride today, it started early, like 6:30 AM. I planed a road ride today where I’ve never been before, around Warwick and Chester, NY. There was a light rain falling as I started, which allowed me to test my rain gear, which by the way, worked flawlessly. I had my Garmin Nuvi mounted on the bars and started out. I was disappointed that my Garmin didn’t attach names to the roads, it just showed a map with roads, no names. Now there were also no road signs with names either, but I kind of remembered the way the paper map looked and I chose the middle road, good choice, as a few miles in there was a road sign. School House Road, I believe. Great no traffic country roads. The buildings looked nothing like a school though, more like an old prison. Now the road did a jog I wasn’t expecting, but I followed it and it came out as I had hoped. I made a right on another unmarked road, why no signs?! After a few more miles a woman walker confirmed I was on the correct road. I passed lots of farms, some with strange animals grazing. I’m about five miles into my ride and still no cars have I’ve seen, very quiet roads. I’m glad I looked at a paper map before I left and remembered most of the road names as I came to them. I arrived in the town of Sugarloaf, NY and stopped for a photo at the local bar/restaurant. Now I knew where I was as I’ve driven through this town before. So I headed south out of town on some back roads I haven’t been on before. Now my Garmin is really pissing me off, it’s showing like upside down and backwards. I’m moving towards myself instead of away towards the south. Now the rain that had subsided is picking up again, still I’m having a fun ride even though I’d feel better if Garmin was helping, but is says I’m going south and that’s all that matters. I start getting that lost feeling again, a wrong turn on these roads takes you a long way out of your plan. Checking my miles I’m just over twelve miles into my twelve mile planed ride. I didn’t actually know where I was until the last 1000 feet or so and now all was good. It was about two hours long including my stops and about fourteen miles altogether. Great country roads.

The building on School rd
Dsc02613.jpg

Dsc02614.jpg

Strange animals

Dsc02615.jpg

Sugarloaf Bar

Dsc02616.jpg

Last edited:
some GPS tips

Map orientation - there should be two setting options in the "map setup"
track up or North Up
with North up, the map will change orientation on you, so set for "Track up"

As for road names, it could be that you need to zoom in a level or two, or if you are using a default National Road map, it just isn't going to have the detail. I use this site to get a detailed maps of local areas. You place the image file in the garmin folder.
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

You probably won't go to this level, but you can plan a route and use the GPS to follow it.
When navigating off road, do not try to use "navigation" mode and expect left right turn prompts.
This chews up too much processor capacity, and the maps don't have the necessary info to make trails navigable.
Instead, simply configure the Track or Route for "show on Map", pick a good color and now it will show up on the map.
Periodically view and keep yourself on track.

On the Tour Divide last year, Mark Beck got very, very lost in the mountains of Alberta. He did not know how to use his GPS properly. His story is documented in the youtube video below, and while he may have been somewhat unprepared and naive, you got to give him lots of credit for keeping his composure and working thourgh which could for some , become a fatal mistake.

Nice night out, I rode through Pine Island, NY on some nice country roads.
Stopped at a car show and saw some hot rods and other cool cars. Then a
sign caught my eye.......Free Beer.....so I had to stop at the Pine Island Brewery.
You only get one free sample, then pay after that. Still a fun time. At the car show I
saw and old friend from the 70's , he lives in Florida and has a summer home around
here. I haven't seen him in about 4 years though. Then at the brewery I saw another
old friend I haven't seen in about 2 or 3 years. Nice. I had a good ride, some beer, and
met up with some old friends.

Dsc02627.jpg

Dsc02628.jpg

Dsc02624.jpg

Dsc02625.jpg

A fun time was had by all! I went to the Jersey Devils Bicycle Club 8th anniversary ride today in Asbury Park. This is a club from the Cherry Hill area, and every year they have a ride in Asbury. It was more of a drive than I wanted to do to get there, but I felt it would be worth it, and I wasn’t disappointed. The ride started at the Wonder Bar in Asbury and went into Belmar and then back to the bar on a different route. When we got to Belmar we stopped at a Mexican restaurant for food & drinks. I had the Dirty Hippy Tacos and a PBR beer. We hung around a bit and yakked. On the way back we stopped by Second Life Bikes, the club knows them there. Back at the Wonder Bar, it was more beer and drinks and hanging around. This club makes most of their “custom” bikes. They also have some vintage stuff too. Everyone was super friendly and surprised I made the two hour drive to ride with them. I don’t know if I’ll be up for it again next year though, but that’s just ‘cause I’m tired now. Sun, beer, riding, wind, takes its toll.

Dsc02641.jpg

Dsc02640.jpg

Dsc02644.jpg

Dsc02645.jpg

Dsc02646.jpg

Dsc02647.jpg

Dsc02649.jpg

kaleido pete
Dsc026339.jpg

Dsc02653.jpg

Well Sunday I did the Farm to Fork ride in Pine Island NY. This is an organized road ride through the countryside. They have 10, 30, 50, 70 mile rides. I signed up for the 10 mile. I would do more, but not 30, I’d like about 15, or 20. I know the route the 30 is, because I’ve walked some of it in the past. These events are new to me, I did one last year put on by a Bergen County club. Well let me tell ya. This Farm to Fork falls way short of the Bergen County one. Most people at today’s event thought it was great, me not so much. I guess I just got spoiled by the Bergen ride. There were about 20 people on today’s ride in my group, when they asked how many are doing this for the first time, about 70% put their hands up. They give you a queue sheet with the road names and turns listed. That’s it. I will say that the roads are also marked with painted arrows. As we took off, I crept up from about 10th., to the leader and fell into 2nd place. This is not a race, but a ride, I just liked being up front. About three miles in I realized that there is no leader, it’s every man for himself, you‘re on your own. There is no waiting for others to catch up, you just do the ride. The Bergen ride had a leader and a sweeper. Everyone rode as a group and waited for everyone to catch up. Not so today. I know the roads, so it doesn’t matter to me, but with all the new riders I felt it should be more organized. To compare to the Bergen ride, at Bergen when you arrive in the morning and get your packet, you then go to the breakfast buffet, with eggs, toast, juice, coffee, donuts, fruit and more I can’t even remember. Today’s ride you get your packet and that’s it. Nothing else, just wait around to ride. After the ride you get your medal for doing the ride and go to the buffet. You’re allowed one small cup of wine and you get a 5 x 8 cardboard plate for your food. No coming back for seconds. Everything was served cold, the 4 inch piece of corn, the string beans, a weird pasta like salad. No salt, or pepper. Not spectacular like the Bergen ride that had hot and cold food and as much as you wanted, plus drinks.
I’m still glad I did this event, I’m not a big eater anyway and I had a great time. The other riders were amazing, happy and friendly. The ride itself was nice too, great country roads. The one aid station had big jugs of water available, no cups though, I guess you’re supposed to just refill what you brought with you. They had some small apple pie kind of cakes, but for some reason they had bacon in them. WTF. Not god for a vegetarian. They did have one other very bland kind of small cake. Bergen ride had fresh fruit, like strawberries and bananas and apples, plus water and juices and cakes and PJ sandwiches, and this is all at the aid station. That’s why I said I guess I was spoiled. I did have fun, but wouldn’t do it again. I enjoyed my glass of wine, and then bought a glass of whiskey, and bought a glass of their beer, which was served from a different tent.
The aid station
Farn t Fork07.jpg

Beer
Farn t Fork13.jpg

Whiskey
Farn t Fork12.jpg

Rider

Pete FtF.JPG

Last edited:
A fun time was had by all! I went to the Jersey Devils Bicycle Club 8th anniversary ride today in Asbury Park. This is a club from the Cherry Hill area, and every year they have a ride in Asbury. It was more of a drive than I wanted to do to get there, but I felt it would be worth it, and I wasn’t disappointed. The ride started at the Wonder Bar in Asbury and went into Belmar and then back to the bar on a different route. When we got to Belmar we stopped at a Mexican restaurant for food & drinks. I had the Dirty Hippy Tacos and a PBR beer. We hung around a bit and yakked. On the way back we stopped by Second Life Bikes, the club knows them there. Back at the Wonder Bar, it was more beer and drinks and hanging around. This club makes most of their “custom” bikes. They also have some vintage stuff too. Everyone was super friendly and surprised I made the two hour drive to ride with them. I don’t know if I’ll be up for it again next year though, but that’s just ‘cause I’m tired now. Sun, beer, riding, wind, takes its toll.

View attachment 97077

View attachment 97076

View attachment 97078

View attachment 97079

View attachment 97080

View attachment 97081

View attachment 97082

kaleido pete
View attachment 97083

View attachment 97084
Group photo

62180871_10214764072318203_2605529617921998848_n (1).jpg

What a great day! This is June 21st. The last day of Spring ending around 11:45 AM.
It then becomes the first day of Summer. So to ride out Spring I was out at 6:30 AM and riding in a torrential downpour for only eight miles, then I quit.
Then this afternoon when the sun came out I went for another ride to celebrate the beginning of Summer.
This was a road ride through Warwick, Chester and Sugarloaf New York. Only about fourteen miles,
but it was beautiful out, 70° and sunny. What a strange day. Lots of nice scenery in the countryside

Morning rain
Dsc02714.jpg

Dsc02712.jpg

Afternoon sunshine
Dsc02716.jpg

Dsc02719.jpg

Dsc02720.jpg

Dsc02721.jpg

Dsc02717.jpg

Wednesday I went for my longest ride ever…..30 miles. Big deal, right. Well it was fun anyway. I rode the Heritage trail from Harriman to Goshen, NY. A nice fun leisurely ride. I started out real early, like 5:45 AM, and arrived in Goshen around 7:30 for a nice cup of coffee. Then I headed back and finished my ride around 9:15. That trail is for runners and bikers both, and it has signs that say “when approaching someone from behind call out a signal that you are passing”. It also has signs posting a 15 mph speed limit.
Today, Thursday I was back in my Wayway park for my usual daily ride. Today my brakes were exceptionally noisy! They squeal something awful. It’s something I’ve been working on for a few weeks now. Today two hiking ladies I was approaching asked if I heard that awful sound up on the hill, they thought it was a chainsaw or some other equipment. I explained that it was only me descending the hill. We all laughed, they left happy as I pointed out a new trail they should try, and I explained how it looped around to their familiar trail. Another lady walking her dogs flagged me down to ask if I heard the siren, she thought maybe it was a warning going off to alert people of the presence of a bear. I explained it was only me. So it was kind of a funny day. I also found a large heavy backpack, and one of my walker friends asked me if I was going camping. I said no, I just found this and I’ll turn it in at the office. He asked “what’s in it”, I said I didn’t know because I didn’t open it. He said “how can you do that? I’d be curious” I replied, it might be a head for all I know. As it turned out the park supervisor opened it and saw that it belonged to one of the lifeguards that works there. They thanked me and that was that.

Heritage trail
Dsc02758.jpg

coffee
Dsc02757.jpg

the end
Dsc02759.jpg

PS........
Now for my trail riding today. I love this trail, Little Bear it is called. It’s less than a half mile long, but it’s one of those trails that is just on the edge of your riding abilities. Mine anyway. Sometimes it gets me and I have to walk some. Sometimes I do good and only have to dab here and there. But, sometimes I get to ride the whole thing without a dab or a walk. Well today was a ride the whole thing day, great! It starts with a good climb with some rocks half way up that bounces the front wheel up pretty good, then the steep descent, with a little ledge to go off, keeping you on both brakes pretty hard. Then the twisty, off angle trail through and around tight trees. And finally as you near the end you have make a sharp left, which makes it so you can’t get a good speed up to hit the extremely rooty uphill section that you wind up bouncing and launching over while powering up the hill. Ah, great feeling to have made it once again.

I think your longest ride is a big deal. Well done, and keep pushing it.

you made the Hasselhof proud today.

1561687386653.png

Back
Top Bottom