Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

It’s been raining for two days and the temp has been around 33°. Crappy weather.
But on a good note my new saddle came today, so I fitted it just as the sky’s were clearing and I decided to give it a try.
As I was about to leave, the wife called to me to see this ad on TV for decretive fencing. I just couldn’t get excited because
I know it will be more work for me installing it. Well off I went with bike on car rack, the plan was to park at the supermarket
and charge my electric car for free, they do supply that service. When I got there I had just (by seconds) missed the spot,
someone else grabbed the charger first! Damn TV ad, cost me my spot. Oh well, of I rode on the bike, with my wrench to
adjust the saddle as needed. My ride was very windy, but great on the country roads. On these roads, everybody waves to
you weather in their car or in their yard, seems old fashioned, but nice. The planned ride would be twelve miles. My Tom Tom
watch has been acting up, it buzzes and has funny screens. At the six mile mark I took a break and a drink and tried to figure
out the watch, it was set on intervals, or something like that. I reset it and now it’s fine. I also re-adjusted the saddle. So I headed
back, great quiet roads to ride through this farmland. Then I realized I took a wrong turn somewhere and didn’t have a clue where
I was. I was lost, but making good time! That’s a line in a song, if ya didn’t know. I came out to RT 1 and knew where I was, just didn’t
know how I got there. So at least I knew my way back, only 2.5 miles out of my way. It turned out to be a great day.

Dsc02196.jpg
Dsc02197.jpg
Dsc02198.jpg
Dsc02199.jpg

liong71er

Da streak is over.........454 consecutive days averaging two hours a day.
Rain all day yesterday made my decision for me, a good day to quit.
Over the last fifteen months I've ridden in everything Mother Nature could throw at me
and I had a good time doing it, wouldn't change a thing!
But all good things come to an end and I felt it was time. I did it! :)
Amazing accomplishment congratulations sir.pete
But.,tho it ended
Another challenge should apply just to keep your momentum going
There’s no resting till the Mother Nature said so
Looking forward your next adventure.

Kaleidopete

I had a great ride today, went to Port Jervis for the Snowballs Chance event. Saw some peeps I know and then
went on my own ride to the Hawks Nest on Rt 97. A great ride alongside huge rock cliffs and a great view at the top.
Then on the way back I rode Skyline Drive up into the park where the event was taking place. I rode down the other
side from the flag pole into town and stopped at my favorite pizza place for a slice and a beer. Then I rode out through
the cemetery to the tristate marker. Then back to my car and called it a day.

Snowballs Chance event
Dsc02224.jpg

Dsc02226.jpg

Hawks Nest
Dsc02232.jpg

Dsc02229.jpg

Tri-state marker
Dsc02233.jpg

Kaleidopete

April Fools ride in Wawayanda. 26° this morning and things were semi-frozen.
Double Pond trail was rideable to the "wet spot", there I'd need to walk through
a foot or more deep of water foe about six feet, not worth it, I went back. Took
Red Dot trail to Nature Jim's bridge, a pretty tough ride. I walked the rock trail/bridge.
Then on to Twin Bridges for the ride back. This is another tough trail with plenty of
rock gardens and climbs. It was quite a workout, I love these trails but I always forget
how tough they are since I only ride them once or twice a year. It was a great morning out though.
about 8 miles
Capture.JPG

Double Pond wet spot
Dsc02236.jpg

Dsc02237.jpg

Trees down on Red Dot in a few places, this one you can walk around but it breaks the flow
Dsc02239.jpg

Nature Jim's rock bridge/ trail, a tough ride.
Dsc02240.jpg

Kaleidopete

Great ride this morning from the main office at Wayway. I rode the singletrack Hofferlin to old Wawayanda rd.
and up the new trail over the hill to Iron Mt trail. Iron Mt. trail becomes Iron Mt. road in Warwick, NY.
Then I took the roads with 0 traffic around and up Wawayanda Rd., which turns back into singletrack and then
back on Hoefferlin to complete the ride. Great cool weather today and sunny. Ten miles and over 1000 ft elevation.
A great start to the day!

Iron Mt. trail/ rd

Dsc02279.jpg

becomes
Dsc02281.jpg

becomes road
Dsc02283.jpg

Huh?
Dsc02282.jpg

Returns to Old Wayway rd/trail
Dsc02284.jpg

Kaleidopete

Great day out there today! It started out at only 38° this morning at 6:30 AM.
I got in a nice twelve mile ride. Came to a jump/ramp that I pushed over, too much for me to ride.
Came across someones shorts on the trail, how the hell do you loose your shorts?!
I went back out this afternoon on some local woods trails by my house, for another four mile ride.

Dsc02363.jpg

Lost shorts
Dsc02364.jpg

too much for this old guy, how da hell do ya hit that at that angle?
Dsc02365.jpg

local woods
Dsc02370.jpg

Local #2
Dsc02371.jpg

I love my dropper post!
Dsc02373.jpg

Kaleidopete

Went to the Iron Furnace event yesterday, it was a great time. Lots of friends to see there.
A crash at the start caused one guy to flat on the front tire, luckily I had my pump and we
got him going again quickly. Utah was riding great until he flatted, with a little help he rode
back, but was done for the day. Bad luck. Everyone seemed to have a great time, I'm glad
the rain held off and the sun came out. Saw Nagy there, wow, what a rider! He wasn't in the event,
but just rode from Wildcat to visit. He took trails where "no man has gone before" (not really) but
I love that kind of riding myself. Trailbreaking. One guy at the race crashed and lost his seat and
rode the last two miles in pain!

Iron2019_24.jpg

Utah flatted
Iron2019_07.jpg

Today, Sunday, I only rode seven miles,in the rain, just to rinse off the bike.

Dsc02458.jpg

my furnace photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rxd37GHo45BviuM38

Last edited:

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw Nagy there, wow, what a rider! He wasn't in the event,
but just rode from Wildcat to visit.

Always great to see you at these events, Pete! I was considering riding there and "racing" the 25k, but I couldn't convince myself to wake up early enough. I'm glad I didn't, because I would have died. Some of the trails I hit on the way there were harder than I remember, and it seemed like all of the rocks were covered in ice.

rick81721

Lothar
Went to the Iron Furnace event yesterday, it was a great time. Lots of friends to see there.
A crash at the start caused one guy to flat on the front tire, luckily I had my pump and we
got him going again quickly. Utah was riding great until he flatted, with a little help he rode
back, but was done for the day. Bad luck. Everyone seemed to have a great time, I'm glad
the rain held off and the sun came out. Saw Nagy there, wow, what a rider! He wasn't in the event,
but just rode from Wildcat to visit. He took trails where "no man has gone before" (not really) but
I love that kind of riding myself. Trailbreaking. One guy at the race crashed and lost his seat and
rode the last two miles in pain!

View attachment 94667

Utah flatted
View attachment 94666

Today, Sunday, I only rode seven miles,in the rain, just to rinse off the bike.

View attachment 94665

my furnace photos https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rxd37GHo45BviuM38

Hey Pete, what are you riding there? Doesn't look like a fat bike

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
That IS a water bottle cage mounted on the front, right? We need more pictures.... it’s gloomy outside. Damn spring showers...

Kaleidopete

That IS a water bottle cage mounted on the front, right? We need more pictures.... it’s gloomy outside. Damn spring showers...
I got these mount anywhere straps from my LBS.
So to mount my water bottle on the front I put one strap on the lower part and I made a wire brace to firm up the top.
I really like my bottle right here, I don't use a camelback.

anywhere straps
Dsc02462.jpg

Dsc02459.jpg

Dsc02460.jpg

Dsc02461.jpg

Kaleidopete

Awesome! I thought something looked funny in recent pics. Is this your primary bike now? How do you like compared to the fatty?
Yes, it's my primary bike, I never had full suspension and a local gal I know loved hers and said you won't be sorry going full suspension.
She was right. I feel now I ride over things a lot easier. Takes some getting used to though because I've been slowing down over the last
year and taking it easier for fear of hurting/breaking something. (me). But with this new bike I get a little crazier. (for me). I find I can hit
the rough spots faster and ride through it, where as before I most likely would have walked it. The dropper post helps a lot too.

Kaleidopete

Had a great time at Xterra today and yesterday. Yesterday was set up day. Today was race day.
I got my daily rides in early before things started on both days. Pays to get out early, like 6AM.
It was a little chilly this morning, especially by the lake. I think the water temp. was around 55°.
I'm not sure how many racers there were, I think it was just under ninety, or a hundred. They
had the long swim and a sprint swim, plus paddle boarders and kayaks. Then they hit the bikes
for a lap just like the Iron Furnace race, and then the foot race out Pumphouse trail. Quite a
challenge. The first racer in did it in just over two hours, and some were still coming in four
and five hours later. One of my best jobs was to greet the racers when they crossed finish line.
I had to get their tracker from them and present them with a nice engraved mug from the race.
Then show them the tables with free drinks and snacks and fruit and PIZZA! Xterra puts on a top notch
race. Thanks to all the people that came out to race and support the racers. See ya next year!

results:
https://www.athlinks.com/event/2048...x4HYIkqw18Kjra5SDUpz2yqjeKkV459RjB_qkNc85co04

Dsc02509.jpg

Charles G kneeling, and his wife standing to the right. She got a first place in class
Dsc02510.jpg

Charles G coming out of the water
Dsc02514.jpg

One of the first finishers.
Dsc02517.jpg

First place overall
Dsc02518.jpg

I don't know him, but he did an amazing race, I believe he was in the top 10
Dsc02519.jpg

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

What a great weather day! 73° and sunny. I did my morning ride at 6:15 this morning, but I decided to go out again
this afternoon. I rode over to Grasshopper for a beer, about ten miles of country road to get there. Then I hit a nice trail on the
way back. All in all about 32 miles today. Now for lunch and a nap. :eek:

Angry Orchard....$13.50!
Dsc02579.jpg

Dsc02580.jpg

da trail
Dsc02583.jpg

Dsc02579.jpgDsc02580.jpgDsc02583.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom