Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Kaleidopete

Da Bear in da swamp on an early misty mornin'
Bear da.jpg

Laurel Trail today
Laurel02.jpg

Kaleidopete

It was a nice rainy day today riding in the park. Nobody else around. I was hoping it would be snow since it was 31°, but no, just rain. It was “see the wildlife” day. I started out on William Hoeferlin trail and spotted a bear about 60 feet ahead of me doing the quick step away from me, I never saw it again. Then I rode up by the campground to see if the pheasant was around, I saw one there yesterday. Npoe, didn’t see it. Then all of a sudden I spotted it hiding under the bear proof box in the campground. I stopped to take a photo, thanked him and rode on up to the lake. Up there in the field was a large group of turkey. Seems like all the critters come out on these early rainy mornings. So I got my six mile ride in with lots of entertainment. All in all a good start to the day. No bear photo, it happened too fast.

The Pheasant.
Phesant03.jpg

Phesant01.jpg

Turkey
turkeyys04.jpg

Kaleidopete

Today’s ride was great! I kinda planned it out in my head last night.
I saw lots of wildlife today too. I started out on Doublepond trail and rode up to Red Dot. A nice warm up. Red dot is where I saw the Turkey, it didn’t wait around long and it was gone. No photo because to me the trail is a real workout and I was wrestling with my bike and too busy being in the moment! There is a tree down and someone has made it a ride over by placing logs there. A ride over for some, but NOT this guy. I took the turn onto Twin Bridges and found another tree down, again I lift over, not ride over. I rode it out to Cherry Ridge trail and made a right to go up to Laurel trail. Just at that intersection I saw headlights! Thought it might be the ranger I know, nope, it was some dope in a Jeep Cherokee. He asked me if it was OK to drive here, I said no. He kept going. I took Laurel trail to Wingdam trail, along the way were three deer, they didn‘t seem to mind a photo shoot. On to Wingdam trail, the toughest trail in the park IMO. Up and over I went pushing and huffing. Riding down the other side I saw the tail end of the bear, getting away from me. Now the tough stuff was over and I rode Wingdam out to an Unknown to all except @huffster and me trail along the lake that cuts down into the park compound work area and back to my parking spot. Six miles, eighty minutes, a 157 heart rate. Well done.

Red Dot trail
Red Dot down.jpg

Twin Bridges trail
Twin Bridges down.jpg

blurry Jeepster
Jeepster02.jpg

da Deer
Deer Laural04.jpg

View from atop of Wingdam trail
Wingdam up.jpg

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
looks like a fun ride.

The dope clearly couldnt see the red gates he just drove around . . .

Kaleidopete

The Westwood Velo " Cross for a Cure for Kids " Cross Race was quite a race today!
I got my usual ride in early, a little after 7AM and about six miles.
The racers were pouring in as I was finishing up my ride at about 8:30.
It was a balmy 38° with a nice high wind off the lake. The course had some challenging spots.
Sharp turns and quick short uphills. The beach was pretty good for riding, but at the end of it
was a real soft sand pit of loose sand. Roots and rocks galore. It was about a two mile lap.
I met @MissJR and @1sh0t1b33r and got a couple photos. They both looked good racing
from what I saw. My friend Gerry was racing in the over 60 class and ran that course a lot
better than I could have! The whole day it was frickin' COLD and never really warmed up.
The Westwood crew really put on a great event. It was great seeing everyone there today!
The women start
CX Wawayanda_1717.jpg

The Men start
CX Wawayanda_1724.jpg

CX Wawayanda_1704.jpg

MissJR
CX Wawayanda_1712.jpg

Magic
CX Wawayanda_1706.jpg

CX Wawayanda_1707.jpg

MissJR
CX Wawayanda_1722.jpg

The winner
CX Wawayanda_1731.jpg

Gerry
CX Wawayanda_1726.jpg

Attachments

• CX Wawayanda_1709.jpg
    CX Wawayanda_1709.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:

MissJR

not in the mood for your shenanigans
Team MTBNJ Halter's
^ yeah... i didn't like the fact they painted the rocks either. i kinda feel like if you're racing, you just need to figure that stuff out.

Kaleidopete

So there is this really crappy section of trail that crosses a stream in Wawayanda. It’s been that way for the last fifty years that I can remember. It’s not used very much because of that reason. Today I figured I’d go check it out again, I remember in the snowy winter last year I rode it and had to balance my way over a crappy tree / bridge. That tree / bridge is still there and it IS possible to get over the stream. Today I found a few more trees down in the area and I decided to elaborate on that crappy old bridge. I was able to add those few more trees into strategic places and it seemed to work out pretty good. This is in no way rideable, by me anyway, but it seems a lot more stable for crossing. The trail (road) used to go straight, but when a tree fell off to one side someone used it and some other pieces for this bridge. I think I can even add a few more smaller trees from the area to fill it in better, I’ll have to see. For today I ran out of time and energy.

The trail last winter
Banker Loop08.jpg

Today when I got there
Banker stream03.jpg

After my additions
Banker stream07.jpg

From the other side
Banker stream06.jpg

Banker stream05.jpg

This is how the original trail still looks alongside the tree bridge, way too much work.

Banker stream04.jpg

What might work is to nail some 2x8 plywood on top of these trees, ah? wadda ya think?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
just go with some 2x6 studs, don't cantilever too much, and some 3" deck screws with a screw gun.
build a ladder - no need to have a deck.
do not tell anyone. ;)

nice, quick build-up to solve the problem tho.

Kaleidopete

Finally some snow! I went out to test the conditions and found them VERY slippery.
Saw two accidents in the two mile drive to the park. The roads were packed icy ripples.
Even the park trails were very slippery, great fun riding, but very slippery, even with my studded tires!
I was doin’ fine ‘till I hit the upgrade, that’s where I went down like Santa’s sack!
It was still snowing like Hell, but very pretty and great fun riding the challenging conditions.
As I was leaving they were closing the park early at 3 PM, I don't see how they can do this when the park is open to CX Skiing, snowmobiling, mountain biking.

Snowed1st01.jpg

Snowed1st04.jpg

Snowed1st05.jpg

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar
Finally some snow! I went out to test the conditions and found them VERY slippery.
Saw two accidents in the two mile drive to the park. The roads were packed icy ripples.
Even the park trails were very slippery, great fun riding, but very slippery, even with my studded tires!
I was doin’ fine ‘till I hit the upgrade, that’s where I went down like Santa’s sack!
It was still snowing like Hell, but very pretty and great fun riding the challenging conditions.
As I was leaving they were closing the park early at 3 PM, I don't see how they can do this when the park is open to CX Skiing, snowmobiling, mountain biking.

View attachment 60378

View attachment 60379

View attachment 60377

Hey I own the copyright on bike crash pics in snow/ice.. pay up!

Kaleidopete

A nice cold morning at 13° with 20 mph winds!
The trails were frozen and a pretty easy ride.
My studded tires work great in these frozen conditions,
though it felt like I was pedaling with flat tires, I had just put the studded
tires in and set them at 5.5 psi. Today at these temperatures I rechecked
them on the trail and I was at just over 2 psi. Yikes! got out the tire pump
and remedied the situation. Made me think of @jimvreeland and his winter
excursions and the things he might have to deal with at even lower temps.
I didn’t see any wildlife today, or hunters, even though it’s hunting season.
I stopped by the lightly decorated Christmas tree in the park.

cold 13°06.jpg

cold13°07.jpg

cold13°08.jpg

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Not sure if you recall my experience with tire pressure loss at Tuscobia. I left the room with 20 psi and both tires were flat at the Start Line. Eye opener as I went through all of my Co2s minutes before the gun went off. Now I leave my bike outside for an hour an readjust pressure as needed.

Top Bottom