Ramblings from Moe Mountain

I did a nice ride through Warwick, NY this afternoon. I parked my Energi car at the farmers market
and plugged it in and got a free 25 mile battery charge while I rode around and had lunch, and a beer.
I rode up to the Hickory Hill golf course and through the fields and onto the doubletrack, which turned
to a mud and water fest, so I backtracked and went for lunch at the Vegan restaurant and then on to the
bar on main street for a "Faster Than Light" stout beer 11.3% very tasty!

too much yuck, for today anyway. I had to stay "respectable" for lunch & a beer.
Warwick cruse03.jpg

The reward. "Faster than Light" beer
Warwick cruse04.jpg

I did a nice ride through Warwick, NY this afternoon. I parked my Energi car at the farmers market
and plugged it in and got a free 25 mile battery charge while I rode around and had lunch, and a beer.
I rode up to the Hickory Hill golf course and through the fields and onto the doubletrack, which turned
to a mud and water fest, so I backtracked and went for lunch at the Vegan restaurant and then on to the
bar on main street for a "Faster Than Light" stout beer 11.3% very tasty!

too much yuck, for today anyway. I had to stay "respectable" for lunch & a beer.
View attachment 52315

The reward. "Faster than Light" beer
View attachment 52314
Are the rhododendrons blooming up there yet?

Well it’s been a while since I wrote. A month ago I strained my ankle while hiking.
I haven’t been able to walk well since, I strained something in my left ankle, like Achilles and waiting for it to feel better and heal, but it isn’t going good. It doesn't hurt to ride the bike, so that’s a plus, but I can‘t walk or hike for crap. I’m also on some new medication for this other weird medical condition I have, so I have to take it easy and not over do things. No stressing out or over exertion, which I always seem to do. So I’ve been doing my daily rides at Wawayanda doing the easier trails and getting in my 7 to 10 miles a day. This afternoon I attempted to do a trail in the Tranquility section of Longpond / Ringwood park but I failed. I only did about a mile. I hiked a bike for a while and had to give up because the uphill was relentless. Then I went to Ruby Rose for a burrito and a beer, but they were closed. So I got a slice of Pizza next door and had beer and pizza at Ruby Roses table, and left them a note on my pizza plate. “Wanted a burrito, but had pizza instead“. Still a great day though. Temps were good and sunny for a while. In two days I’ll be going to Wildwood for the weekend and the Race Of Gentlemen.

Tranquility trail
Tranqulity09.jpg

Ruby Rose
Ruby Rose02.jpg

Ruby Rose06.jpg

This afternoon I attempted to do a trail in the Tranquility section of Longpond / Ringwood park but I failed. I only did about a mile. I hiked a bike for a while and had to give up because the uphill was relentless.

Going straight up the old Beech Rd. can be a drag. Its very washed out with grapefruit sized rocks and up-up-up. I prefer to go across the inlet to the reservoir and then up along the trail that follows to the west of Beech brook. Its still tilted upwards, but seems much more more manageable.

Loved the part about the note on the pizza plate!

Going straight up the old Beech Rd. can be a drag. Its very washed out with grapefruit sized rocks and up-up-up. I prefer to go across the inlet to the reservoir and then up along the trail that follows to the west of Beech brook. Its still tilted upwards, but seems much more more manageable.

Loved the part about the note on the pizza plate!
Ahhh...Re checking the map I see my mistake!

6/13/2017
Well I just got back from my long weekend in Wildwood, NJ. My friend Ed races motorcycles on the beach every year at “The Race Of Gentlemen”. I tag along and help out and ride my Fat bike around. So from Friday night to Sunday there are parties and car shows and lots to do. I got to do a lot of beach riding and it’s a BIG beach! Sand goes from very soft to nice and hard. I managed to get my weekly rides to over 100 miles on the Strava MTBNJ group. Sunday night after dinner I was at 96 miles for the week and I rode the beach again just to put it over 100.
The rules for bicycles is non existent there. Everyone rides like they own it. Sidewalks, ignore stop signs, blow red lights, no helmets, wrong side of the street riding, and all this with Police right there watching. It was something I couldn't get used to.

The races
TROG17_21.jpg

The beach
TROG17_16.jpg

again
TROG17_26.jpg

Sunday breakfast eggs, potatoes, toast $5 and my own beer
TROG17_31.jpg

North Wildwood Beach
TROG17_34.jpg

The race is over.
TROG17_337.jpg

Last edited:
Yo Pete you should go to a sports doc to get that ankle looked at. Shouldn't take that long, you might need some rehab.

Well I took the plunge.... went to the doctor 6/13/17, they set up a ultra sound doppler test for 6/15/17.
That checked out perfect. They also did blood tests for Lime and much more. All checked out OK.
They also sent me to the hospital for an MRI of my leg and foot 6/15/17
They also sent me to a podiatrist 6/19/17 to evaluate the MRI results. Now I'm in an air cast for four weeks.
It seems like I was doing everything just right without their help.
I've been taking it easy, minimal walking and not doing anything to stress it.
I now have to go to physical therapy 3 times a week for 6 weeks too.
So that's 5 doctor visits so far and I have 3 more visits to look forward to. Plus the therapy.
Like I said to @rick81721 in the first place, I know what I should do, but I know what it leads to. PIA!

Findings: 06/19/2017

Bones: No bone contusion, fracture or osteonecrosis
Joints: No joint effusion.

Ligaments: Attenuation of the anterior talofibular ligament
suggestive of old injury. The calcaneofibular ligament is
poorly visualized and may be chronically torn.

Tendons: Moderate tendinopathy of the Achilles tendon.
Mild tenosynovitis of the distal tibialis posterior tendon.
Longitudinal split tears of the distal peroneus brevis and longus
tendons distal to the level of the lateral malleolus, likely chronic.

Muscles: Diffuse mild fatty atrophy.
Soft tissues: Moderate medial subcutaneous edema.

Impression:
1. Moderate tendinopathy of the distal Achilles tendon.
2. Mild tenosynovitis of the distal tibialis posterior tendon.

aircast.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the medical issues. I gather from your subsequent post and your Strava activity that you are riding a bike with an aircast on. Take it easy and hope you heel up quickly.

And yeah, its all UP to Perkins. They've done some amazing rock work on the trail from the lake up to Perkins. So, when you are feeling better and up for a nice climb, hike the hundreds of rock steps up. You can make a nice loop by going up the AT and down Major Welch. The climb down is also somewhat challenging and steep in places. I would suggest doing it on a weekday...unless you like crowds.

Sorry to hear about the medical issues. I gather from your subsequent post and your Strava activity that you are riding a bike with an aircast on. Take it easy and hope you heel up quickly.

And yeah, its all UP to Perkins. They've done some amazing rock work on the trail from the lake up to Perkins. So, when you are feeling better and up for a nice climb, hike the hundreds of rock steps up. You can make a nice loop by going up the AT and down Major Welch. The climb down is also somewhat challenging and steep in places. I would suggest doing it on a weekday...unless you like crowds.

Yeah, I'm riding with the aircast on, so I have to pick trails I can ride and don't have to walk,
or put a foot down as walking/hiking right now is a no no. Should heal up fine in a few weeks.
Thanks for the advise on the Bear Mt. trails. They look challenging!

7/1/17 Saturday
The July challenge has begun, 31 hours in 31 days, ride 1 hour every day.
I went to the park today, but it was under lockdown. The state budget
has a problem and all state things are closed. So I rode Clinton road
instead. Ten miles in 80 minutes. Hardly any cars on the road at 7 AM.
But wouldn’t you know it, just as I came to the sharpest and narrowest
uphill turn on Clinton road I hear a car coming from behind and I see
another car coming towards me too. Just as I put the power on and down
shift to make the climb, my chain comes off and jams. Damn, everything
happens at once. That was it, everything calmed down after that. A nice
treat on the ride back was hearing the call of the Barred Owl off to my right.

P4 Parking along Clinton Rd.
July1_02.jpg

July1_01.jpg

7/8/17 Saturday
So I rode my local trails and came to a problem, blowdowns, wow,
what a mess. This is a disaster again. I cut out two trees last year at
this same spot, now this again. I hate this type, they always scare the
crap out of me intertwined like this. I have to plan carefully here.

Heather Ln treewk09.jpg
Heather Ln treewk04.jpg
Heather Ln treewk07.jpg

7/16/17 Sunday
Today was the Stewart 45 race, always a great event. I usually like
to volunteer there, they have so much to do. Last year I was the
“pointer” at the first trail sending everyone into the woods. This year
it was the same. Once they’re all through you have to move the yellow
tape and arrows around because next lap they all come from the opposite
direction and enter the same trail again. Once they get this down I leave
because they all know what to do on the last lap. So first racers left at 9 AM
and came through at 10:09 to start the second lap. Pretty good time. The last
racers on the second lap come through about 11:45. After that I went up and
hung out at the start line and visited with friends. Then I rode around a
little myself. Sandwiches and watermelon come in around 12:30. They
put on a great spread of food and drinks for everyone. Shawn is the best
MC anyone could want, great job! I got there extra early this morning so I
could get my own ride in for the July 31/31 challenge. It all worked out
perfectly. A lot of the racers were great and thankful and gave me a
“thank you sir” for yelling out “sharp turn” and pointing the way. Mitch was
busy all day helping out with everything from garbage detail to making sure
everything was running smoothly. Great job to all the MTBNJ crew.

This way!
Stewart 45_17_02.jpg

A young spectator
Stewart 45_17_05.jpg

Stewart 45_17_01.jpg

Mitch slicing the watermellon
Stewart 45_17_09.jpg

The winners
Stewart 45_17_16.jpg

I saw my friend the trail builder yesterday, he mentioned his new trail work on my local trails. He's been rock building.
So today I thought I'd check it out now that I cleared the blowdowns off my local trail I have easy access.
It is a fairly short loop from the trailhead. Only a two mile ride, but what a great trail! This trail will get whoops of
joy out of anyone looking for adventuresome singletrack. It has just enough challenges and then recovery sections.
This trail kicked my @$$ today, but it doesn't take much to do that now that I'm tapering off my steroids.
Here is a .gpx file of the loop, which includes Banker trail. Give it a try if you're in the area.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qba4x9hgvm0oo2x/Sandpit_Banker_Loop.gpx?dl=0

Sandpit_Banker lp04.jpg
Sandpit_Banker lp01.jpg
Sandpit_Banker lp02.jpg
Sandpit_Banker lp03.jpg

Last edited:
Went to the Bill Perry Blues festival in Sugarloaf NY. It’s an event that has been held for the last 10 years. It starts at 11 AM and runs to 6 PM. A free show with many bands and food. Many of the locals and Bill Perry relatives know me there and it’s always a great time. I got there about 1:30 and I rode the fat bike there because parking is tough. I parked about a half mile away where it was easy, then rode to the show. Many beers were had and a few pints of Jack Daniels were passed around, and even some strong homemade alcoholic beverages. No fancy beers at this event, these are local mountain people. It was a great time with music and drinkin’ and dancin’. Then I headed home and on the way it seemed like a good idea to stop in Wawayanda since I was passing by, and a little tuned up. I rode an easy 2 mile loop down Hoeferlin trail and back to the parking lot. What a nice surprise to run into Jim F on the trail. We had a great chat and I met his riding friend Bob back in the parking lot. Some days are just Golden!

My new friend Gus.. I said HEY, you ain't got no tooth just like me, take a picture! He laughed and said "Ill never forget you"!
Bill Perry day18.jpg

Bill Perry relatives at the show.
Bill Perry day11.jpg

I'm drinkin cheep beer
Bill Perry day10.jpg

Dancin'
Bill Perry day20.jpg

Bill Perry day01.jpg

Well it's been a while since I blogged. My sore leg has seemed to heal and I can hike again.

Did a little exploring this afternoon and rode the Blue trail in Pequannock watershed.
Parked at P1 on Clinton Rd. I wanted to find the ruins of the Cross Castle which was built in early 1900. I visited it back in 1972 and took some photos of it standing, but since it has been demolished and only ruins remain. It was a very short ride along the blue trail to get to the ruins. From there I continued on the Blue trail for a while, but it got rougher and rougher, very overgrown and narrow, but fun too. I turned back and took another turn onto the Blue & White trail. I’ve been on this one before, but just rode it again for fun for a while. Then I backtracked and took the White trail for a while which is pretty nice, more like a fire road that turns into trail. I think this White trail is quite long.
On the way back home I stopped and talked with the Forestry workers that have been working on the old trail I told @huffster about a while ago. They said they’re working on it to get up to Terrace Pond with a quad in order to rescue people in that area. I told them I hiked it since they worked on it and only took it to Stevens Road. They said it goes much farther now, all the way up to Terrace Pond. I’ll have to try that again sometime.

The story of Cross Castle
Once upon a time there was and actual castle in the woods off of Clinton Road. Most who remember it liken the edifice to something out of a fairy tale or Gothic English novel, rising from the mist. Clinton, or Cross Castle is how most locals remember it, named for the man who had it built – Richard J. Cross, but Cross himself and his family called the place Bearfort, after the mountain range it was nestled in. In 1905 Cross bought heavily forested land around Newfoundland, NJ, and began construction of the castle-like mansion. Its walls, which have intrigued so many people over the years, were 3-stories high. You can see remnants of the concrete today.
Cross died in 1917, and the family sold the property to the City of Newark in 1919. A fire eventually destroyed much of the remaining wooden structure, leaving the stone walls intact as a place where hikers, teenagers, and the occasional Satan worshippers could congregate. Those walls, eventually painted over with graffiti and picked apart for souvenirs, were knocked down in 1988 when the Newark Watershed Commission deemed the structure unsound.

the ruins
Cross Castle10.jpg
Cross Castle06.jpg
Cross Castle08.jpg

In the old days
Cross-Castle-Ruins.jpg

The Blue trail
Blue trail05.jpg

Blue trail04.jpg

Blue trail02.jpg

Blue trail01.jpg

watch for stickers