Ramblings from Moe Mountain

Ha! I see Surly put my photo up on their website that I sent them, it was taken at the Black Bear Spring Cleaning race at Wawayanda.
The shirt says "Big Bad Surly Biker", hardly readable in the photo though, but I thought they'd like it.

Surly site Pete2.jpg

The more I look at that area on Google Earth, the more I think is over there. Go to Google Earth and search for "Highland Lakes Nest Trail". I think this may connect to the trail I was descending off the back side of Wawayanda Mountain. It comes down to Shomokin Rd. in Highland Lakes.

The more I look at that area on Google Earth, the more I think is over there. Go to Google Earth and search for "Highland Lakes Nest Trail". I think this may connect to the trail I was descending off the back side of Wawayanda Mountain. It comes down to Shomokin Rd. in Highland Lakes.
Yeah, it'a amazing how big Wawayanda is! I've heard there are old foundations along trails going towards Point Vista.
This is a cool exploring part of the park. Most bikers like the nice single tracks and rock gardens and overlook this.

Went exploring the Clinton West trail today.
That is the trail that supposedly hooks up with the Highland trail and the Bearfort Waters trail I explored the other day.
I entered the trail system at P4 parking on Clinton Road. First I took the trail that supposedly hooks up with the Bearfort Waters trail, there was one set of markers at the beginning and then that was it. Nothin’ from then on! I could barely make out any trail. It was a bushwhack all the way up. I went in and up maybe a quarter mile. When I got to the top of the hill I looked to my right and saw a white marker on a tree, but absolutely no trail at all. I gave up and backtracked and took the other trail to nowhere, not even on the map. I’m guessing I made it up to the White trail on my first bushwhack up the hill, where I saw the White trail marker off to my right, but believe me there ain’t no trail here. I should have seen it looking to my left, but notthin’! I don’t advise trying this route.
I then rode down Clinton Road and hit the Red Trail, supposedly where this non existent white trail would have hooked up with. This was just because it was such a great day for a ride AND because by doing this I jumped into # 42 spot on Strava MBNJ and left Johnny Utah back in # 47 spot. Ha.

What is supposed to be
Clinton West08.jpg

what it looks like
Clinton West01.jpg

Clinton West02.jpg

Clinton West04.jpg

Clinton West05.jpg

The white marker dead center in the photo
Clinton West06.jpg

Clinton West07.jpg

The experience you had with that white marker in the middle of nowhere is how I felt the other day with my blue markers. I'm standing there going "where the fuck is the trail that goes with that marker". I even walked a ways out there leaving my bike behind just so I'd know where to go back to. At some point you just so "ok, fuck it".

I have taken that red trail from P3 up to white. Its a HAB climb. Once you get up to white... if you go right on white, it can be a very rugged ridge - like un-ride-able. If you go left on white, it was a pretty decent trail, if I recall. I wonder if you keep going, can get across that inlet of Clinton Reservoir to hook up with the Yellow you were on the other day?

Even when you have these kinds of experiences, its still good to be out, and you are learning what does or doesn't work for the future.

Update on Clinton West trail . I revisited the trailhead today after reviewing my maps and .gpx files at home. I see my mistake. I took the obvious to the left and missed the real trail veering off to the right. Today I hiked it rather than carrying my bike like the other day. This is still a pretty crappy trail, I’d love to be able to do it like @huffster did back in 2016, but I now see that is an impossibility for me. Way to rugged and poorly marked. I wound up on my ass more than once, even with hiking poles and boots. Just hiking it I lost the trail, no markers to be seen. I made a few guesses and saw nothing and backtracked. Here are some photos.

the start
Clinton West right02.jpg

intersection White (straight ahead) and Highland (right)
Clinton West right03.jpg

White trail
Clinton West right04.jpg

the decent
Clinton West right05.jpg

The experience you had with that white marker in the middle of nowhere is how I felt the other day with my blue markers. I'm standing there going "where the fuck is the trail that goes with that marker". I even walked a ways out there leaving my bike behind just so I'd know where to go back to. At some point you just so "ok, fuck it".

I have taken that red trail from P3 up to white. Its a HAB climb. Once you get up to white... if you go right on white, it can be a very rugged ridge - like un-ride-able. If you go left on white, it was a pretty decent trail, if I recall. I wonder if you keep going, can get across that inlet of Clinton Reservoir to hook up with the Yellow you were on the other day?

Even when you have these kinds of experiences, its still good to be out, and you are learning what does or doesn't work for the future.
I've hiked the Red trail many times, and I've seen the White, but never took it, and yes it's the one that goes to where I was today. You rode the White down to P4 back in 2016. Amazing!

IMG_3409.JPG
@Kaleidopete I know you saw my Strava, but in case anybody else is interested: https://www.strava.com/activities/983044372#comments

I still have a couple things I will get back to later from my ride the other day on Wawayanda Mountain. But, I wanted to try going a little north from Barry Lakes and see what was up that way.

I decided to take one of the unmarked trails off Iron Mountain and hopefully be a little more direct to the entry at Lakeshore Dr. West. There was one punchy hill climb on the road the way I went at it. As I later learned, I could've popped in the woods again on Robin Terrace.

Shortly after entering the woods off Lakeshore, I reached the double-track and went right this time. Fork in the road soon, so I chose the downhill option to the right. After a while, I encountered a yellow spray-paint marked trail. I took this to the right and that hit Robin Terrace. I came back and went left and this went for quite a while. There was a split off that I decided to check out that caused me to leave yellow. This ultimately took me out to Tullow Dr. - another access point.

I went back and jumped on yellow again and this took me across a stream, uphill and finally to intersection with A-T. I did explore a little as I wanted to see what the terrain was like but technically not supposed to be on it, so really just "marked" it and turned back. Along the return, I took a few other turns. 1 led to a pretty pond (pic) and another was a dead-end to what was likely a camping site.

Back to my original fork in the double-track, I went up. It wasn't up for too long after all. It pretty much went up to a dirt cul-de-sac. I found a quad trail off of that and followed it a little ways. Then I stumbled across a white marked trail but there was mega deadfall in each direction that just didn't seem appealing enough to drag a bike through.

I blasted the downhill and followed the double-track back behind the lakes and between them and out to Lakeshore Dr. East. Pedaled the road to the park proper, along the beach and back to the start.

Wow great recap on some extraordinary exploring, I'm gonna have to make notes here and combine it with some gpx files.
Thanks for the great info!

Thanks, when I need to get there a bit earlier so I can get do more exploring and have time to get lost. I was running late and did not have lights, have to make sure to bring them when I go out. Really promising bit of trail.
Yeah, it some pretty rough spots! These trails have been here a long time, I used to hike 'em back in 1968.
They've overgrown a lot, but bikers still work on keeping them open and rideable.

Check one ride off the bucket list!
I’ve been looking to do this loop for a while.
It’s a 6.5 mile ride with 756 feet of climbing total.
With 616 feet climbing in 2.25 miles. 16% grade in spots.
It starts out on highway 94 to Old Wawayanda Road,
which was the original entrance to Wawayanda Park back in 1970.
This is where it climbs, and climbs, and climbs. I parked at Pennings
Farm stand and rode the one mile to Old Wawayanda Rd. I wasn’t
feeling positive about this because it’s 90° and I’m sweating already
as I get there. I know this road, I’ve driven it to check it out. My plan is
to ride it for as long as I can and then turn around and make it back for
a beer. So I start climbing, no traffic, that’s good. Down shift, keep going.
I try weaving a little criss crossing the road, nah, just go straight up.
My heart rate is between 160 and 171 and I’m coughing. I had to get
off the bike and drink. I walked about 250 feet to catch my breath.
I’m doing it! I keep pedaling thinking I got this. Funny how I thought
I could do it until I started doing it, then I thought “what am I stupid, I
can’t do this”, but I’ll try. Then realizing maybe I can. So I’m dying here,
and thinking I’ll just do this half, and then turn back and ride downhill,
because I know what lies ahead. Then I decide to do the whole thing,
just because I’m here and this is my opportunity and I’m way farther
than I thought I’d be. Finally I make Iron Mountain Rd. and the great
down hill. Wow, I’m glad I have disc brakes! I get out to highway 94
and ride it back to Pennings Farm stand. The old car show is going
on and I look around a little and then get a well deserved beer,
Two Roads To Ruin double IPA 8%. I’m feeling good about this,
until I get home and check my Strava, SHIT! @jimf did this climb
in 21:55 and 6mph. I’m 52:55 and 2.5 mph.

Penning wawa04.jpg

Penning wawa03.jpg

Last edited:
Update on Clinton West trail . I revisited the trailhead today after reviewing my maps and .gpx files at home. I see my mistake. I took the obvious to the left and missed the real trail veering off to the right. Today I hiked it rather than carrying my bike like the other day. This is still a pretty crappy trail, I’d love to be able to do it like @huffster did back in 2016, but I now see that is an impossibility for me. Way to rugged and poorly marked. I wound up on my ass more than once, even with hiking poles and boots. Just hiking it I lost the trail, no markers to be seen. I made a few guesses and saw nothing and backtracked. Here are some photos.

the start
View attachment 51982

intersection White (straight ahead) and Highland (right)
View attachment 51983

White trail
View attachment 51984

the decent
View attachment 51981
@Kaleidopete: Among the rationale used by the Union County Freeholders Chairman for voting against the inclusion of mountain biking trails in the Watchung Reservation development plan, he stated that (roughly paraphrasing here now) more trails could do "decades of damage" to the park. I was wondering whether you have any knowledge of when the trails you were completely unable to find a trace of were last in use? Apparently, they were shown on a map that you were carrying. It strikes me that nature reclaims her territory much more rapidly than the Chairman's comments would suggest. Any thoughts?

@Kaleidopete: Among the rationale used by the Union County Freeholders Chairman for voting against the inclusion of mountain biking trails in the Watchung Reservation development plan, he stated that (roughly paraphrasing here now) more trails could do "decades of damage" to the park. I was wondering whether you have any knowledge of when the trails you were completely unable to find a trace of were last in use? Apparently, they were shown on a map that you were carrying. It strikes me that nature reclaims her territory much more rapidly than the Chairman's comments would suggest. Any thoughts?

The trails I spoke of are only in use by hikers. No bikes use THESE trails. They ARE maintained better than you would think, as in trees are cut to keep them open, but minimally done. It's very rocky and hilly here and the idea of these trails is to keep them as "natural" as possible but still open.
This situation is way different than what you have in Union County.

The trails I spoke of are only in use by hikers. No bikes use THESE trails. They ARE maintained better than you would think, as in trees are cut to keep them open, but minimally done. It's very rocky and hilly here and the idea of these trails is to keep them as "natural" as possible but still open.
This situation is way different than what you have in Union County.
Thanks for the clarification, @Kaleidopete. So it sounds like these trails were never as open as typical singletrack. I still wonder if abandoned mtb singletrack literally takes "decades" to revert back to normal forest, though...

Check one ride off the bucket list!
I’ve been looking to do this loop for a while.
It’s a 6.5 mile ride with 756 feet of climbing total.
With 616 feet climbing in 2.25 miles. 16% grade in spots.
It starts out on highway 94 to Old Wawayanda Road,
which was the original entrance to Wawayanda Park back in 1970.
This is where it climbs, and climbs, and climbs. I parked at Pennings
Farm stand and rode the one mile to Old Wawayanda Rd. I wasn’t
feeling positive about this because it’s 90° and I’m sweating already
as I get there. I know this road, I’ve driven it to check it out. My plan is
to ride it for as long as I can and then turn around and make it back for
a beer. So I start climbing, no traffic, that’s good. Down shift, keep going.
I try weaving a little criss crossing the road, nah, just go straight up.
My heart rate is between 160 and 171 and I’m coughing. I had to get
off the bike and drink. I walked about 250 feet to catch my breath.
I’m doing it! I keep pedaling thinking I got this. Funny how I thought
I could do it until I started doing it, then I thought “what am I stupid, I
can’t do this”, but I’ll try. Then realizing maybe I can. So I’m dying here,
and thinking I’ll just do this half, and then turn back and ride downhill,
because I know what lies ahead. Then I decide to do the whole thing,
just because I’m here and this is my opportunity and I’m way farther
than I thought I’d be. Finally I make Iron Mountain Rd. and the great
down hill. Wow, I’m glad I have disc brakes! I get out to highway 94
and ride it back to Pennings Farm stand. The old car show is going
on and I look around a little and then get a well deserved beer,
Two Roads To Ruin double IPA 8%. I’m feeling good about this,
until I get home and check my Strava, SHIT! @jimf did this climb
in 21:55 and 6mph. I’m 52:55 and 2.5 mph.

View attachment 52226

View attachment 52227

We just missed each other that day by maybe an hour, regardless of the time that's a big climb and an achievement for anyone. Look at the rest of the list on strava, outside of us, the people that attempt that climb are pretty serious cyclists. I came across this quote in a reddit mtb forum "Up is for endorphins; down is for adrenaline. The correct combination of both greatly enhances the flavor of post ride beers." Iron Mountain road down is a bit too fast for me, you can burn out, or worse, polish a pair of brakes on that one in a hurry. I have done that one up a couple of times, its miserable.

I felt really good that day and was able to do that climb almost in one shot, I slipped on the part that goes up over the root after the first bridge and ended up getting off the bike there. I think I am going to take another crack at this today and see if I can get to the top in one shot or try the xterra loop, figure that will be burned in nice after the tri on Saturday. The single track from the top of Wawayanda road to the gravel pile on Wawayanda/Iron mountain fire road inside the park is really pretty nice considering it follows the old road into the park. I would love to see some singletrack in the U between Wawayanda rd and Iron Mountain rd to connect up to hof, while I do not mind the fire road there it would give some more interesting options at that side of the park. I know the highland trail goes thru there parallel to the AT, maybe something off that down to the bottom of the U would work nice. Given the volume of trails we have you would think we would be satisfied and I am but I do love finding and riding something new. The fact that I come across something new at Waway 7 years after my first ride here has spoiled me.

Hope to see you out there soon

Thanks for the good words and good story. I'm definitely NOT a climber. But this one has been bugging me to do.
I'd love to see some single track too between Iron Mt. and Wayway rd. Another interesting trail was mentioned
to me by my snowmobile friend who said he goes down the old WayWay single track past the gravel pile and he
comes out on Hoyt Rd. and shoots over to Pennings. I haven't been able to find that trail though.
See ya out there.

Thanks for the good words and good story. I'm definitely NOT a climber. But this one has been bugging me to do.
I'd love to see some single track too between Iron Mt. and Wayway rd. Another interesting trail was mentioned
to me by my snowmobile friend who said he goes down the old WayWay single track past the gravel pile and he
comes out on Hoyt Rd. and shoots over to Pennings. I haven't been able to find that trail though.
See ya out there.

I think I found the beginning of that trail but to get to hoyt you would have to cross the warwick center property. The trail is a hard left after you pass the gravel pile on the way up, I do not think its on the way down, if it is, it is well hidden.

Back
Top Bottom