RaceClean?

gtluke

The Moped
Obviously I can't test the theory, but I don't it necessarily falls out that way as certain people are going to be better in some places over others.

Anyways, thanks for the JRE link @gtluke, the armstrong one was a good listen. Whatever your thoughts about armstrong are, the guy does a good interview.

Check the other one too. That's the dude that busted lance. Which is why he came on the podcast, to defend himself.

xc62701

ha, you can be like me...cat 1 for life :)

I mean what reason would I ever have to upgrade and get my pro license? I have only ever been to 2 races in 8 years that even had an exclusive pro class in which you were required to have a pro license....every other race its been pro/cat1/open. Maybe its holding me back from that big money contract?

For me it was always the sense that I've worked really hard through the years so I want to get to that pro level. It's been fun but as of yesterday I'm offically a Cat 1 again. I told them I was upset with their fees and policies and that I need the downgrade or I will not renew. They granted it within hours. Cat 1 for LIFE!

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Pro tip. Play it at 1.2 speed.
that was a good tip, finally managed to make it through the Novinsky one today, fascinating stuff and didn't know UFC has taken such a stance since guys can literally kill each other if they don't dope correctly.

gtluke

The Moped
that was a good tip, finally managed to make it through the Novinsky one today, fascinating stuff and didn't know UFC has taken such a stance since guys can literally kill each other if they don't dope correctly.
Here's another good one.
Victor Conte.
He juiced like the entire Olympics setting all kinds of records.
He developed some steroids on his own too. Spent time in jail for it.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
F*k... i'm always strung out on this stuff, as is 1/2 of raritan.
Doesn't make ya faster, just hurt less after the crash.

muddybike

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Dopers suck and it sucks that non dopers have to pay for the testing.

It seems like doping is much less of an issue in the women's cats... Or is that just me being ignorant and optimistic?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Dopers suck and it sucks that non dopers have to pay for the testing.

It seems like doping is much less of an issue in the women's cats... Or is that just me being ignorant and optimistic?
Maybe alittle but of both. Women's cycling, mainly on the pro road level has made some leaps and bounds over the past few years. Taking the main stage in the Philly race, a showcase race at the TDF, more press, more payouts, all great stuff.

In this growth stage, a bunch of doping scandals could bring that to a screeching halt. I can't help but think there could be a connection.

But maybe with the field sizes being smaller that there is a place for everyone right now. Maybe that will change as their is more competition?

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Delish

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Maybe we should call this the RaceClean Masters Doping Dragnet

"October 18, 2018 USADA announced today that Jeff Tanski, of Palmetto, Ga., an athlete in the sport of cycling, has received a four-year suspension for an anti-doping rule violation. Tanski, 45, was subject to testing due to his membership in USA Cycling, which maintains the RaceClean Program that works to fight doping in the sport of cycling...."

The remarkable thing about this doping bust is that it is completely unremarkable (and so were his race results for the most part). Of the ~20 or so doping sanctions handed down within the last 12 months, nearly all of them are for masters age racers.

USADA tested about 300 unique cyclists last year, most of whom were true professionals or national level elites. That means the hit rate for busting masters dopers is pretty high: probably something like 1 in 5.

Masters doping obviously exists but I highly doubt that its 20% of the population. More likely, USADA is selectively targeting people they suspect based on anonymous or not-so-anonymous tips they receive (https://www.usada.org/athletes/playclean/). Busts for out-of-competition testing on masters racers is pretty good evidence of this.

My personal favorite is this one:
"USADA announced today that Jay Henderson, of Minneapolis, Minn., an athlete in the sport of cycling, has accepted a six-month sanction for an anti-doping rule violation. Henderson was selected to submit a sample as a result of being among the top finishers in his event at the 2017 Green Acres Cyclocross in Lake Elmo, Minn.
Henderson, 46, tested positive for Carboxy-Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), a metabolite of marijuana and/or hashish, above the decision limit of 180 ng/mL, as a result of a urine sample collected in-competition on October 14, 2017."

I suppose you're asking for it if you register as Team Hollywood Cycles (THC). Good thing for us that doughnuts aren't on the Prohibited Substances List.

Top Bottom