Race reports these days....

MMuller

Used to be so much fun to race, write and read post-race reports. I remember feeling ecstatic after completing any race, no matter how I placed, course foul-ups and the occasional tool on the course. Any frustration was on myself that I could've done better. If I got 10th, 4th, whatever, always wanted to do one place better. I was even tiny bit disappointed at the 1 race I won, because my friend and adversary wasn't there to perhaps beat! (I'll get you yet Bowmaster....)

Seems there's always a hassle these days, too much fire roads, too much single track so you can't pass, throwing elbows, cutting courses. Is mtn bike racing going all "Republican Convention" or something. C'mon folks, just feel the burn of the muscles and enjoy the scene, the comradery and the competition.

Apologies for getting political.....I'm always a sucker for a good pun.

See you in the woods and enjoy the ride!

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking along these same lines the other day when I rode with @Mitch and @KenS. We all posted how it was fun to just get out and ride. I remember when the board used to be similar in that as well. Group rides, lots of people, lots of talk about this or that.

I use & like Strava but FFS enough of that being the focus of the ride already.

I think a lot of people going to coaches and embarking on double secret probation training has a lot to do with it as well.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Same feels. Miss the post race threads with recaps, people who just signed up to post a recap, all that stuff. Those were the good old days.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I miss I Dream of Jennie re runs.

tumblr_inline_mg3er96sQb1qkqy41.jpg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wouldn't that make it more exciting? more drama/rivalry instead of just winging it? Maybe not.

Not really.

Q: So what did you do this week?
A: Ah, I rode my bike but I can't tell you what I did because I pay for it.

Q: Ok, so how was your race?
A: Coach doesn't want me to talk about it.

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
Q: So what did you do this week?
A: Ah, I rode my bike but I can't tell you what I did because I pay for it.
this part is more just boring, no one really cares about those details

Q: Ok, so how was your race?
A: Coach doesn't want me to talk about it.
this part dont make sense to me, wouldnt anyone want to brag about a good race? free advertisement?

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I miss I Dream of Jennie re runs.

View attachment 38647
Why do you have a smart phone again??

Like @Norm was saying, I enjoy the ride's now more then the races, which is why when I was in shape I was still doing more endurance stuff. With endurance you are still racing but you have time to enjoy your surroundings more and meet more riders on the course.
No need for secret training here.. I ride for peace of mind. Yay Bikes

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
People ate up my training stuff when I posted it. I think they like to know how a fat slob makes his way up the cat 1 ranks. I disagree that people are bored by that. I'll get back into this game if the endurance stuff sticks. But you know how that goes. Chocolate cake.

MMuller

Hmmmm....chocolate cake.....Barbara Eden.......chocolate cake......Barbara Eden........
What to do, what to do?

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I try to keep my strava stuff exciting or atleast interesting. I post any rides/training that I do. A coach doesn't win races, hard work and research does. I guess if I had pro level in my site a coach may come in handy but other than that just ride and race for fun. Each week I'll do a couple strong training rides but I always alternate between 5 bikes and running just to keep a smile. I am planning a sort of eastern monmouth epic type thing on the 13th or 14th if anyone wants to come have fun cruising through different parks. It may be similar to what @wonderturtle and i did last year but a little longer...maybe 80 miles. Henry hudson trail, to hartshorne, huber and a bunch of other parks with some dirt roads and paved roads in between.

wonderturtle

I am planning a sort of eastern monmouth epic type thing on the 13th or 14th if anyone wants to come have fun cruising through different parks. It may be similar to what @wonderturtle and i did last year but a little longer...maybe 80 miles. Henry hudson trail, to hartshorne, huber and a bunch of other parks with some dirt roads and paved roads in between.

The "iron turtle ultra" . Nice!

Fat Trout

Used to be so much fun to race, write and read post-race reports. I remember feeling ecstatic after completing any race, no matter how I placed, course foul-ups and the occasional tool on the course. Any frustration was on myself that I could've done better. If I got 10th, 4th, whatever, always wanted to do one place better. I was even tiny bit disappointed at the 1 race I won, because my friend and adversary wasn't there to perhaps beat! (I'll get you yet Bowmaster....)

Seems there's always a hassle these days, too much fire roads, too much single track so you can't pass, throwing elbows, cutting courses. Is mtn bike racing going all "Republican Convention" or something. C'mon folks, just feel the burn of the muscles and enjoy the scene, the comradery and the competition.

This is why I generally don't race...and when I do its an endurance race. Then its just me against me.....'cause I have no illusions of any podium finishes but I can push myself well beyond my "normal" limits. The folks that end up around me in the endurance stuff are generally in the same boat as me so its almost social rather than competitive. "You want to pass"....."Nope, I'm good".

JimN

Captain Wildcat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
This is why I generally don't race...and when I do its an endurance race. Then its just me against me.....'cause I have no illusions of any podium finishes but I can push myself well beyond my "normal" limits. The folks that end up around me in the endurance stuff are generally in the same boat as me so its almost social rather than competitive. "You want to pass"....."Nope, I'm good".

This describes me as well. Did you do any of the H2H endurance races this year? If so, I was the guy on the orange fatbike with a full size camelbak, and we probably chatted at the back of the pack.

Fat Trout

This describes me as well. Did you do any of the H2H endurance races this year? If so, I was the guy on the orange fatbike with a full size camelbak, and we probably chatted at the back of the pack.
Nope. Only Marty's fat 50 this year. Think I may go back to Bearscat or some others next year. See ya then ;)

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker

With all the bitching and complaining about unfairness etc., sounds more DNC to me.

Racing used to be more fun before everyone had a coach, was an ex-roadie looking to win something, and took it so seriously. And there is no such thing as too much single track.

Top Bottom