Jshort’s bike thread

go pro settings please?

and im too lazy to look, anything out of the ordinary on your calendar? i remember you talmbout nationals

Just regular settings. It's the new go pro black. I got it from work. It takes killer vids and the chest mount is much better.

I like the chesty view more that the handlebar view.

Just watched all the vids. Nice work hanging with those guys. It's interesting to see the difference in riding styles. I couldn't help but notice how you hold your bars with your thumbs on top.

Hilarious to hear how loud Utah is

I knew I kept my thumbs like that sometimes, but didn't realize it was all the time. Weird.

Hahaha. I actually have them but they were too restrictive so I took them off.

Have them on my SS and keep them loose to rotate out of the way. With smaller hands and XT brake levers being shorter, found it irritating to have my thumbs resting on the brake lever clamp. I squashed the ESI grips out to get some more room. I see that Togs sells custom length ESI's at 115mm vs. 130mm standard length.

Great videos! Awesome riding going on with the lack of hours.
I also keep my thumbs on top of the bar about half the time.

I'm not sure why, but it feels like I forget my morning routine every race. It should be a science, but it’s not… to many variables. I think the 1PM start really throws me off. Usually it’s Get up eat a normal b-fast, then GUs and whatever else before the race. But there was a lot of time between my 7AM B-Fast and race. Between the poor nutrition, spending a few days in Vermont sipping delicious beer and the worst weeks’ worth of sleep leading up to a race, I was worried I was setting myself up for disaster.

Peep this sleep:
no sleep.jpg

I rolled up early and reg'd and tied my number on. I like the out front Garmin mount so I always need to put a small tear in the number to make it fit right. I'll take a pic next time... and I’ll also bring scissors to make it look extra perfect.

After uniting with the MTBNJ Race squad, we headed out for a warm up loop. With such a flat course, we did a whole lap. While the course was different, it was essentially the same always on the gas, plenty of space to pass, the weird stairs, the small but painful hill, and some loose, leg destroying sandy sections loop. Got that?

We take this serious, but we still have a lot a fun. Also note @Kirt is smiling. That is not a normal thing to see on raceday… it’s a welcome change though.

FB_IMG_1490646518807.jpg

This year I moved to the 40-49 group. I knew only a couple of the guys i lined up with but all are fast (@Kirt, Mancuco, Keith L). Last year when I was racing the 19-39, the 40 group was always a bigger group with more guys that had a chance to win. I was definitely excited and curious to see where I would stack up.

Once the clock struck zero and it was time to go, I put my head down and hammered. All morning I had this antsy feeling from adrenaline building up and when I had the opportunity, I let it all hang out. I made sure I was in the front position, and held onto it going into the singletrack. At the end of the fire road, I must have hit a few spots with deeper sand. My back tire was washing out and I thought for a second I had a flat. Relieved to see I didn’t, I continued at a pretty aggressive pace for the rest of the section before dumping to a fire road.

At this point lst year, It was me and one other kid and we had left the rest of the race in the dust, never looked back, and finishing 1-2 with him taking the win. This year wouldn’t be quite so easy.

I was ready for a breather and a quick recovery, but surprise...no dice. I was immediately passed by a guy in a red kit who I didn’t know. He was riding smooth, but I wasn’t sure if he could hold it. A few minutes later Keith from Bulldog passed me, and Steve was right on my tire.

The 4 of us completed the entire first lap in a single file line with no more than a few feet separating us at any given time. A couple miles into the second lap I was in trouble... I put out a huge effort at the beginning and never really caught my breath.

The pace slowed but i was still hurting. Keith looked back and asked if he should pass, without actually asking. I just shrugged my shoulders and hoped he didn’t.

As luck would have it, the guy leading got a stick in his gears and had to stop, the 3 of us kept going and I don’t think we ever saw him again. Steve also got in front of me and so it was Keith, Steve, me heading into the second half of the second lap.

By the start of the third lap, Keith had left us. I was thinking to myself that I could not believe we were only halfway through this race. I was ripping GUs and drinking my Skratch knowing the cramp devil was on its way. I was holding onto Steve's wheel, but in truth i was content with a 3rd at this point. I planned to stick behind him as long as possible and hope nobody came up behind me.

Lap 3 came and went without much excitement. For a second I thought we caught Keith but it was a bulldog racing 19-39.

Lap 4 started and I’m still right behind Steve, sitting in 3rd. I didn’t feel any better; I was still barely holding on. But I know Steve was also hurting. We see @UtahJoe and he is borderline delirious and possibly hallucinating.

When we got halfway through the lap he waived me by and said if you got it, take it. We were only a mile or so into the lap, but I took him up and put in the mandatory effort needed to put a good gap in between us.

As soon as he was out of sight, both legs cramped. I spun though and they had just started feeling better when I got to the stairs. I was sure both legs were going to lock up descending the steps so I stayed on the seat and used my legs as little as possible. lol. Just picture that for a minute.

Up the little hill in my 32-42 and cramps were about to take hold but I fought them off.

After surviving that I was pretty confident i could pull it off. I passed a few 19-39 guys here, putting a few riders between me and Steve before the new twisty section would be helpful.

I crossed the finish with both legs on a verge of locking up, but i finished in second. Considering I was ready to die after the first lap, i was pretty satisfied with that.

Mayhem-Cat1-174.jpg

A couple thoughts on the overall race day experience. Short track is cool, but these races bring a bigger crowd and its fun to see people I haven’t seen in a while.

The course itself was different than from last year. While I don’t have that photographic memory that Utah does, I do remember a lot more fire roads, and a lot less singletrack. The promoter did a lot of work and really improved the race loop this year.

Also, podiums and results were SUPER fast. Like, finish race, catch breath, change, go to podiums. I think I waited a while last year for the results to be posted. Again, the Mayhem guys did a great job.

See You's at Junglewood

Nicely done...man what I would have loved to start up in the front at that race. That is one thing I will never do again...never ever be on a back end yo-yo at that race.

I was pretty miserable, but I enjoyed watched you battle with steve for the few minutes i hung with you guys.

How do you use your phone to track your sleep? This sounds like torture data. If you slept like shit do you need your phone to confirm it? Those numbers will keep you up at night bro.

I get things from work which I'm supposed to test. Such as that GoPro I used at short track, and in this case a Fitbit. It's actually got alot of good features like:

A silent alarm so I dont wake up my wife when I get up at 5AM to ride during the week. It wakes me up by vibrating. I know I've got your attention now...
It vibrates for text messages which is good when I'm riding.
It does heart rate which is cool because it can give accurate resting heart rate number. When I compare my Fitbit to my Garmin when I wear at the same time, they're pretty close.
And as you see it also tracks sleep.

Back
Top Bottom