Jshort’s bike thread

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Short Track = Short recap

Let me start right at 9:20AM. Race starts at 9:30 and I’m trying to keep warm. It’s cold AF compared to yesterday and there a breezy and I’m having a hard time keeping from freezing my ass off.

So I’m pedaling around aimlessly and somehow I find myself on the opposite side of the race course at 9:28. Race starts in 2 minutes and I’m nowhere near the start line. Glenn is like I’m pretty sure you’re screwed... Or something like that. And of course there are a bunch of people pre riding and keeping me from just whipping down the switch backs. It’s safe to say my race started 4 minutes early. My HR was pegged when I eventually make it to the starting line...lucky it didn’t start yet. I heat @Rottin saying, "OK 5 Seconds"... Quick reset my garmin and take off my winter jacket I was warming up in.

Shitty starting spot back and to the right in a patch of mud... and we're off...

Not exactly a stellar beginning to the race, and I’m mid to end of pack. You can see from the video upload I have a lot of people in front of me and there is nowhere to pass. Until there is, and I do as much as I can.

Down the switch backs and there is still nowhere to pass. Which is oK, because the last 4 minutes were a painful shock to the system and doing the conga line down the switch backs gives me a minute to catch my breath.

Once we dump out by the lake and the road I finally have an opportunity to open it up. I make up a quick four spots and make my way to Utah's back tire. As we go by the starting line I take the opportunity to recover a bit.

When I go over the wooden bridge, I launch off instead of riding down. Stupid. I must have burped some air because as I make my way up the single-track my back tire is bottoming out. I'm not about to crack a valor so i hop off and think about what my move should be. I thought I was being slick and wearing my cross skin suit.... it’s totally cross weather, and a thermal skin suit was perfect.. Except for the lack of a back pocket to carry a CO2. Iggy goes by and I grab one from him, but as I screw it on it blows air and I don’t get it in my tire at all. Fuuuuudge. I make the decision to go to my car, which actually isn’t that far away. I grab my CO2 and hit the back tire. It holds, so I decide to jump back in the race.

By now I am in end of the field and fat bike traffic.

The rest of the race I spend passing when I can, but the entire last lap was just solo.

I ended up in 14th which, taking the flat into consideration, i can live with. My legs felt pretty good and I’ll have a chance to test them out next week..

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
You were really pushing me on that first lap...It was funny because after that bridge when we start climbing again I hit it pretty hard...When I finally got to the top and looked back and didnt see you any longer...im like WTF happened?

Glenn Rides After 4 PM CST

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Me..What are are you doing here. They just called your group to the start.
Jeremy.. What..are you Fing kidding me.
Me.. It's like 9:25 your screwd.

Hope I didn't slow you down to much
When we hit the fire road you were gone.
We did get out of the single track fairly quick.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nice job, but next week don't j whip the bridge and you'll podium.

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
2 rookie mistakes in 1 race? I think you might need a race day coach for guidance.

You were making up some good time. 1 more lap & you certainly would have caught me as I was running on fumes.

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Monday after Short Track

I missed last weeks recap, but not much exciting happening there. I corrected my rookie mistakes and got to the line early, and with a CO2. I held onto the lead pack for a few laps, then then fell off when we started hitting the lapped fat bike traffic. I landed in 7th.
I felt decent, but fizzed at the end. When we started coming up the lapped traffic i was already falling off, and when i had to overtake a racer, I was content just hugging their wheel for a minute and then making a move, as opposed to being more aggressive and just immediately passing. I didnt lose any sleep over it. If I had beaten any of the 6 guys in front of me, it would have been a surprise. Overall, it was a successful race.

This week was more of the same. I've been fighting off a cold which i think was triggered by allergies last week. Neti Pot twice a day, mixed with some good nutrition and a few good nights worth of sleep and i think i turned the corner on the cold. Allergies seem to be in full force already this despite the snow on the ground.

This week was a little different because we were starting at 10:30. It also a tiny bit warmer with a balmy 17 degrees when I pulled into the lot.

IMG_0106.jpg

I got my gear on and was sticking to the cross skinsuit because it makes me look skinny. Plus i can wear a long sleeve wool base under it and so its pretty warm... fashion and function.

After a few warm up laps, it was time to line up. Its surprisingly warm in the sun and enough to keep from freezing while waiting. @Norm is pretty good at expediting the start process. I'd say we only say there for 2 or 3 minutes before the horn blew. it would have been faster but @Utah got to the line late and had to get his garmin ready, so we all had to wait an extra 10 seconds... Its Utah's world, we just live in it. :)

Once we're off my legs are surprisingly cooperative. I sprint, spin out gear, shift, spin out gear, and so on. I saw Nick Lando just motor by me and when he did I thought I better do the same, so i stood and made up a few more spots. Nick was gone, but I was sitting in 4th or 5th.

5 minutes in, Nick was out of site... so we wont even count him anymore. I was in the pack of CCI guys, Roger, and Utah, and we just motored along. Starting the second lap Utah passed me, but that was the only change.
We we're all still in a pack on the third lap when Utah started slowing and I knew before I even looked that he had a flat. Time for a new ignitor Utah... I'm pretty sure you rode that same tire at LewMo in 2011.. :)

Once Utah fell off I made my way back to the pack of Roger, @Rich W, and Frank. The 4 of us stayed right together the rest of the race. On the climb after the first bit of single track they would gap me, but I would make my way right back to them on the singletrack before the switch backs. We would be together until the road section where they all sped up, but then I caught them immediately in the rock gardens.

We did this same routine the reminder of the race and I finished right behind these 3 guys. There was a point on the last bit of singletrack where Roger fumbled a little but there was no where to pass. I'm not even sure I could if there was, and then i'm even less sure I would have held him off to the finish. But just being there with a chance was an accomplishment.

My bike felt pretty dialed in as well. It may be an older model, but my scalpel still feels like a feather after riding my habit the day before. The Stan's Valors are just ridiculous. They spin up super fast and have a bit of compliance which i appreciate... especially coming from china carbons. I am also checking my sealant levels before each race. Stan's race formula is the way to go. It doenst last as long but it will seal a bigger hole or a smaller hole faster than their other formula. Luckily I didnt need it this week... Snake Skin Schwalbe Ralphs are the best all around race tire. I have tried a bunch, but always come back to these.

We here at MTBNJ are pretty lucky to have the sponsors we do.

I'm pretty content with where I at at this time of the year. My weight is down and should keep going down, especially if i can stay healthy. I really have not put a lot of hours in...

Since Cross Nats in the beginning of January:
Hours:Minutes
1:30
:40
4:24
5:23
6:43
4;:24
4:17
4:15

I'm only averaging 4 hours and change a week. Once it warms up a little and I spend more time outside instead of on the trainer, the average will be around 8 hours a week.

I have to give Elite Endurance a little plug here. Ken is a bit eccentric, but he is damn good at coaching. He gives really detailed feedback on power files and dials in workouts accordingly. And best of all, as the log shows, i'm not putting in a lot of hours at all. So if you're looking for a coach, reach out to Elite Endurance. His prices are very reasonable...

Up Next:

Hopefully the snow misses the BSA and we race next week, but its doubtful. Next race will probably be Mayhem. I like where I at health wise and fitness wise . Hopefully my allergies stay in check and I can continue progressing. Now that I moved up to the 40 category, there is a lot of new competition and i'm curious to see how I will stack up.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Now that I moved up to the 40 category, there is a lot of new competition and i'm curious to see how I will stack up.
You keep this this up, you might as well just race with me in open

Really nice work staying with those guys for the entire race. And that video came out great...

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
go pro settings please?

and im too lazy to look, anything out of the ordinary on your calendar? i remember you talmbout nationals

Mountain Bike Mike

I like the chesty view more that the handlebar view.

Just watched all the vids. Nice work hanging with those guys. It's interesting to see the difference in riding styles. I couldn't help but notice how you hold your bars with your thumbs on top.

Hilarious to hear how loud Utah is

The Squirrel

Great recap. Love the videos, but I have to ask, at 4:28 into the second video, are you flipping them off as you come out of the single track?

Top Bottom