Race insurance

metalhead44

Hi all,

I have mtb raced many times through the years. I have noticed that some races never use USA cycling and other races do. Why use USA cycling? There is an extra cost for a one day license. Some cross country races where I live are $65 to race plus $10 for a one day USA cycling license. I just don't race those, not worth the cost. I have noticed that many MTBNJ races do not use USA cycling and I try to race those when time and training allow for it. Thoughts?

Joe J

Many of us buy an annual license because they race multiple diciplines so it doesn't matter. In Road & Cx the upgrade process is very important I personally don't want some FRED that thinks there fast because they have some 50 sec. Strava KOM going into the first turn and taking out the field. Without USAC the USA would not be represented at the highest level of the sport in the Pro Peloton, Worlds, Etc. I personal y have had a USAC/NORBA license for the past 25+ years and will continue to buy one till I retire ( next year :).

metalhead44

From what I have read USACdoesn't give a crap about MTB racing, they only took over NORBA to get the money from JEEP as a sponsor. A few years ago USAC was going to penalize any pros that raced non-sanctioned races. Which is bullshit. I was wondering why some local races use USAC and others do not. I don't want to make waves I was just curious. I have chosen not to race any USAC races the last few years.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
i'm kinda weird in that i buy license for

usa cycling - i may race 3 usac races a year in a good year
usatf - track and field (i'm an official)
usat - triathlon/duathlon - for some reason i do 1 duathlon/relay per year, but fancy myself as being a mutlisport some day

usatf and usat offer multi year discounts - hmm.

i also support jorba, watchung wheelmen, and central jersey bicycling club.

my thought process is that many of these national organizations are top-down.
It sets rules, and has feeder programs. Might not affect me, but perhaps find someone deserving.

the whole sanctioning of races is weird. it isn't sanctioning, cause how many do they deny, even if there is a willingness to pay?
So it is a more "non-league" race???

onetracker

Many of us buy an annual license because they race multiple diciplines so it doesn't matter. In Road & Cx the upgrade process is very important I personally don't want some FRED that thinks there fast because they have some 50 sec. Strava KOM going into the first turn and taking out the field. Without USAC the USA would not be represented at the highest level of the sport in the Pro Peloton, Worlds, Etc. I personal y have had a USAC/NORBA license for the past 25+ years and will continue to buy one till I retire ( next year :).
Dude, you race more non-USAC races than anyone else I know.

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
But you race a bunch of USAC CX races.

Personally, I DGAF, but with 12-18 CX races plus a few MTB races each year, a license is a no brainer, plus I've used the $500 VW discount twice. I'm like $800 in the money yo.
Getting a yearly license doesn't make USAC any better, it just saves money on something useless that is unfortunately required.

I probably won't be racing too much, but yo, hook me up with a discount!

Joe J

Dude, you race more non-USAC races than anyone else I know.

Probably close to a tie.

I would do the races I do regardless of USAC or not. I do them because I like them not due to sanctioning. The only time it would be a concern for me is if nationals was on my calendar. Cx is not an issue but for MTB not having a lot of local USAC races makes it hard to stay local and gain points for grid position.

Top Bottom