Questions about a potential bikepacking trip

NoSprings

Hey all,

A buddy and I are planning to do a short (1-2 night) bikepacking trip in May. It'd be our first one, so by no means are we trying to accomplish anything extreme in mileage, technical difficulty, or fashionably "epic" discomfort. What we are looking for is a large park with lots of singletrack, unimproved/dirt roads, and some camp sites... So Wharton seems to be a good fit. Thing is, I haven't been there in years. I want to solicit whatever advice I can from the locals first.

Using the DEP and Motorized Access maps I've devised a very basic plan. Here it is: start at Batsto and ride the Orange loop singletrack till we get to Quaker Bridge road or a sand road that goes toward Atsion lake. Take that up to the Goshen Pond campsite or just set up camp by the lake in a spot we like (if that's OK). Then take a similar route back the next day and finish the Batsto loop if we stay 1 night or take forest roads to another campsite for night 2, etc... Like I said, very basic. We're hoping to do around 30-60 miles of riding depending on the length of the trip.

Now, I'd like to be riding on dirt as much as possible. Are there dirt or sand road options that spur off from the main loop singletrack that'll take us to a camp site? If not paved is fine. If so, does anyone have a good map or routes, suggestions, or so on? The hardest aspect for planning thus far has been finding a really comprehensive map. I've also read about the Wharton 40 here... Would it be a better idea to utilize that route or parts of it? I am completely open to radically changing the plan based on local knowledge.

Is the whole thing just a Very Bad Idea?

Anyway thank you so much for any information you can give me.

pibbles

Hey all,

A buddy and I are planning to do a short (1-2 night) bikepacking trip in May. It'd be our first one, so by no means are we trying to accomplish anything extreme in mileage, technical difficulty, or fashionably "epic" discomfort. What we are looking for is a large park with lots of singletrack, unimproved/dirt roads, and some camp sites... So Wharton seems to be a good fit. Thing is, I haven't been there in years. I want to solicit whatever advice I can from the locals first.

Using the DEP and Motorized Access maps I've devised a very basic plan. Here it is: start at Batsto and ride the Orange loop singletrack till we get to Quaker Bridge road or a sand road that goes toward Atsion lake. Take that up to the Goshen Pond campsite or just set up camp by the lake in a spot we like (if that's OK). Then take a similar route back the next day and finish the Batsto loop if we stay 1 night or take forest roads to another campsite for night 2, etc... Like I said, very basic. We're hoping to do around 30-60 miles of riding depending on the length of the trip.

Now, I'd like to be riding on dirt as much as possible. Are there dirt or sand road options that spur off from the main loop singletrack that'll take us to a camp site? If not paved is fine. If so, does anyone have a good map or routes, suggestions, or so on? The hardest aspect for planning thus far has been finding a really comprehensive map. I've also read about the Wharton 40 here... Would it be a better idea to utilize that route or parts of it? I am completely open to radically changing the plan based on local knowledge.

Hey kurt! This guys got a question for ya! Jersey Devil is real. Seen him on the lake. Stay away from the lake! Seriously,sounds like fun,beware of the pineys and woodbutchers though.....

NoSprings

You're not planing on riding from Queens are you?
A nice park that seems to meet your needs with camping and all is Wawayanda.
There is also a great event on May first too. The Bearscat Spring cleaning.
Take a look and see if it looks interesting.
http://www.blackbearcycling.com/wawa16/
Ha, no not riding from Queens to Wharton this time, but something along those lines certainly could happen in the future. Wayway is a lovely park and I'll look into that too. Maybe a bit aggro for our first bikepack but something to consider. Thanks!

moray42

Merman
Hey all,

I haven't looked recently enough for a definite answer in regards to your plan, but I can say that you should be able to piece together a route within the park that is entirely on dirt. I had been planning a similar route passing thru from Brendan Byrne to one of the primitive sites (Mullica Camp maybe), and then towards Bass River. Mine would have to involve some road, but if you are starting/finishing at the same point single track and fire roads should work.
As for maps, it can be tough. I recently set up a somewhat comprehensive park map on the Maprika app. It includes fire roads and camps, although maybe not all. I'd recommend possibly having a few sources. I've managed to navigate a fair number of the roads with a basic map and iPhone sat view. GPS will probably be your best tool.

I'd also make sure to contact the park to make sure whichever camp you opt for is open. Sometimes weather can force them to be closed. Not sure on space/availability at the different sites. Should be able to get the permits at the main visitor center.

P.S., be ready for potentially deep sand, mud, and puddles on any of the fireroad.

slingblade_uhhuh

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Camping anywhere in Wharton requires a permit. Stop in the Batsto Visitor Center to buy one. There are several primitive camp sites out there too, that show up on the WSF map. There are several commercial campgrounds in the area too.

Your basic plan is good and do-able. You can get to the Goshen campsite using a short section of Atsion Rd. There are several alternative routes to using that road, some may or may not be passable in May due to water levels.

If you are looking for more miles, a visit to Hampton Furnace, Carranza Memorial, Apple Pie Hill, Hawkins Bridge and all would give you a good long ride.

When exploring, I use the Topo Maps app (allows you to download/view detailed USGS maps) and Google maps.

Caveat... the sameness of everything out there on a long ride can drive some people crazy. A friend likened it to the endless hallway in the Shining

Reactions: w_b

NoSprings

Thank you all very much for the information, it'll all be very helpful. I've downloaded all the Maprika Wharton maps and the OpenCycle overlay also seems pretty good... I think with those, a basic map, and GPS we should be able to put something together without getting lost and potentially eaten. Hopefully the monotony doesn't cause us to turn on each other...

The timing is based on my friend's schedule but if we have to push it later to avoid lots of mud and water we can probably do that.

So I take it parking overnight is fine near Batsto with the proper permit(s)?

Thanks again!

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
If your fatty many rail options to
Mahlon ride out from camp
Stephens which ride out of to 3 parks
Epic from queens would be rail to Lackawanna rail trails to Pa then take McDade trail north to Milford campground. But you go much bigger.
Then there's always the paths to Franklin Roosevelt and fawnstlk upstate.

NoSprings

If your fatty many rail options to
Mahlon ride out from camp
Stephens which ride out of to 3 parks
Epic from queens would be rail to Lackawanna rail trails to Pa then take McDade trail north to Milford campground. But you go much bigger.
Then there's always the paths to Franklin Roosevelt and fawnstlk upstate.
Excellent options as well, I hadn't even thought of the Trailways! Some very nice loop possibilities there. Thanks.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions